• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The last Ashes without referrals – a running tally of umpiring errors

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's certainly not the view Australia take on him tbh.
Last I checked "Australia" wasn't one person TBH. I've heard several Australians comment along those lines - ask CW's own howardj, for one:
I think Billy Bowden likes to be liked by the Aussie players. For instance, his hugging of Steve Waugh and posing with him for photographs after his Sydney swansong last year, was the most cringeworthy display from an umpire ever. Subconsciously I think his desire to be liked by the Aussie players has a bearing on his umpiring.
Bloody Bowden should never be allowed near an Australian match, let alone an Ashes Test. He is so sycophantic towards the Aussies. He just loves to be loved by the Aussies. Who will ever forget his absolutely pathetic show of affection towards Steve Waugh in his farewell test in Sydney in 2004? Billy had to let Steve know just how much he cared by giving Steve a hug; by having his photo taken with Steve etc etc. It was embarrassing.
Heard more than a few Kiwi disaffectionate voices that way too.

TBF, though, it's been far less obvious in the last few years than it was around the 2003-2004-2005 mark. Possibly that's because I've only seen him Umpire about 3 games involving Australia in that time, but possibly it's because he's gotten over his little foibles.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Someone....................... anyone?
There were 26 errors in the 4th test, all in England's favour.

Nine of them were not outs in the first innings, meaning they really should have been all out for three.

When we batted, 10 of our dismissals weren't out, so we could still be batting now.

Then in England's second innings, there were another 7 blatant outs that weren't given.

Whole thing should have been over before stumps day one.

At least, that's how I saw it.....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bloody hell, Strauss' dismissal to Hilfenhaus in the Oval first-innings was an even bigger no-ball than Flintoff's one to get Katich at Lord's in the second.

2 wickets to un-called no-balls so far this series. Not good. At least it's 1 to each side now.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I haven't been watching today but TMS are saying that:
- Bell was perhaps lucky not to be given out caught first ball
- Strauss was out of a massive no ball that the umpire missed

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Saw Hilfy's scalp in the tea break. Absolutely massive no-ball; horror show. With line judgements like that there's no defence for the ump at all. Just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Front-foot no-balls should be called by the 3rd umpire, surely? Since we moved to front-foot rule how often do batsmen have time to adjust to play a shot on the nb call anyway? It's a no-brainer for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I haven't been watching today but TMS are saying that:
- Bell was perhaps lucky not to be given out caught first ball
Wasn't convinced on that at all myself. Best we can say for sure is that it might've brushed the strap of his glove - it certainly hit the wrist. Certainly no way to conclusively say he should have been given out. I reckon any batsman given out for that has right to be a little aggrieved.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Saw Hilfy's scalp in the tea break. Absolutely massive no-ball; horror show. With line judgements like that there's no defence for the ump at all. Just wrong, wrong, wrong.

Front-foot no-balls should be called by the 3rd umpire, surely? Since we moved to front-foot rule how often do batsmen have time to adjust to play a shot on the nb call anyway? It's a no-brainer for me.
AWTA re the third umpire.

Reckon they didn't show the out ball myself. Sky hi-jinks, excuses and all that. :ph34r:

Want to see it run through from side on like the Fred-Kat one was earlier in the season. Was a seriously massive no ball to miss. Surely the only way to miss a no ball that big would be for the umpire simply not to have been looking.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It is an absolute joke that the series doesn't have referrals in my opinion. And this wouldn't have required a referral even - just a wireless message from the third umpire that that was a no ball.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Strauss' decision today was the worst of the series

Well done Bill, yoiu've retained your title

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It is an absolute joke that the series doesn't have referrals in my opinion. And this wouldn't have required a referral even - just a wireless message from the third umpire that that was a no ball.
The thing is, the referral wouldn't have been called for for this sort of dismissal as Strauss hit it and it was caught cleanly.

I've been mentioning for years that the 3rd umpire should have all no balls and leave the man in the middle to concentrate on just one end of the pitch - far more chance of getting the pitching outside leg and all that stuff right.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Reports are that Bell also out off a no ball, although a closer one than Strauss.

Watson lucky to be given not out LBW to Flintoff. (Hit the next ball for 4, obviously).

pasag

RTDAS
Reports are that Bell also out off a no ball, although a closer one than Strauss.

Watson lucky to be given not out LBW to Flintoff. (Hit the next ball for 4, obviously).
Did we actually bowl any legal deliveries yesterday?

Dissector

International Debutant
Tbh Flintoff didn't seem 100% convinced of that appeal and in real time I wondered if he had got an edge. But yes Watson was lucky there.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Did we actually bowl any legal deliveries yesterday?
The other pity about those two dismissals is that it was two runs robbed from Extras - year in, year out, Extras has been just about England's most reliable performer

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Tbh Flintoff didn't seem 100% convinced of that appeal and in real time I wondered if he had got an edge. But yes Watson was lucky there.
I'm relying on TMS here btw - but the commentators certainly agree with you that he was lucky.