• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Harmison

Steve Harmison for the first Test?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Fine, 20/0

If Saj Mahmood had done what Harmison did in this tour game, there wouldn't be any calls for his inclusion.
You're way wrong.

It's just that the posters calling for his inclusion would go by usernames such as Burgey and Son of Coco

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Fine, 20/0

If Saj Mahmood had done what Harmison did in this tour game, there wouldn't be any calls for his inclusion.
Because Harmison has shown himself, from time to time, capable of being a Test class bowler and Saj never has and never will.

But I know it's wrong to think Harmison should be selected, I really do. Bad zaremba.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Can't fathom how anyone would rather have him in the team than Broad. Onions, almost maybe. But Broad?

The arguments against Broad seem to be based around his Test average of 38, and that he hasn't bowled well prior to playing the West Indies. Yet Harmison averages about 38 over a much longer period than Broad (about 4 years I believe) and hasn't bowled well in anything other than a dead rubber in ages.

Don't get me wrong. I like Harmison, and I'd love to see the guy do well if he was selected as I genuinely believe that, like Brett Lee, he is one of the nice guys of cricket. But he has zero case to play ahead of Broad as far as I can tell.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Broad will play, and should play imho. It's the Onions / Monty / Sidebottom position that Harmison would be a contender for.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If we were going to pick someone on reputation then it should be Sidebottom. If we were going to pick someone on form, it should be Onions. The only reason, IMO, to pick Harmison, is if there's a gun to the selectors' heads and the assassin wants them to pick either Harmison or Panesar.

Of course, all this being said, the stupid bastards will go ahead and pick Panesar 8-)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Broad's playing, honestly no way he'll be left out after he's finally looking like halfway justifying the faith.

Onions or Harmy a crap shot, tbh. Would play either ahead of Panser or Sid tho. Harmy's shown the way to bowl to Hughes, but Fred & Braod are both 6' 5" bowlers who can bang it in, so it's possible we can do without him.

Undecided here, 'cos it's the truth.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't be against Harmison being picked later in the series, if other options have failed. But he has done nothing to jump the queue just yet, IMO.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
So GIMH and BB and Fred, what XIs would you choose for Cardiff?

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the Australians think Harmison is bowling well then he's bowling well - getting inside the oppositions minds is going to be crucial in this series - England just about have the psychological advantage now - we need to keep it

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bowler who has been distinctly average for four years takes six wickets in two innings in a warm-up game and people want a recall? It's not like he's even bowling anywhere near his best.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
So GIMH and BB, what XIs would you choose for Cardiff?
Me:

Strauss*
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

First ten set in stone, IMHO. Can see any one of three (Sid, Monty, Harmy) replacing Onions tho.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Me:

Strauss*
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

First ten set in stone, IMHO. Can see any one of three (Sid, Monty, Harmy) replacing Onions tho.
That's precisely the side I would pick and there's absolutely no justification IMO for the selection being any different.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bowler who has been distinctly average for four years takes six wickets in two innings in a warm-up game and people want a recall? It's not like he's even bowling anywhere near his best.
But he got PACE and BOUNCE!

And he DISMISSED Phil Hughes! TWICE!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the Australians think Harmison is bowling well then he's bowling well - getting inside the oppositions minds is going to be crucial in this series - England just about have the psychological advantage now - we need to keep it
The Australians apparently thought Harmison was bowling well in 2005 too - he still made sod-all contribution to the four matches England dominated.

We've been here again and again with Harmison. He has never, ever been a Test-quality bowler. To expect that to change at the age of 30 is to ask one hell of a lot. Nothing is impossible. But that would be one of the longer shots in history.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So GIMH and BB and Fred, what XIs would you choose for Cardiff?
Strauss*
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior+
Flintoff
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Onions

Would love to see Sidey in the team but honestly think Onions deserves it more

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hear ya, Uppercut, I hear ya.

And yet...
I do see where you're coming from. I sincerely don't expect him to do well though. Should be called into the squad so that Hughes and Ponting spend the next week worrying about how to combat Harmy, then not picked.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Australians apparently thought Harmison was bowling well in 2005 too - he still made sod-all contribution to the four matches England dominated.

We've been here again and again with Harmison. He has never, ever been a Test-quality bowler. To expect that to change at the age of 30 is to ask one hell of a lot. Nothing is impossible. But that would be one of the longer shots in history.

Frustrating bowler Harmison but that's harsh Rich