• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Brett Lee be selected for the Ashes?

Should Brett Lee be picked for the Ashes, and if so, who misses out?

• Yes - Johnson misses out

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - Siddle misses out

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's the diffrence with speeds in test and limited? Don't play dumb. It's speed, not swing, buttboy.The thing we'll need to see is if he has the stamina to sustain that speed.

I won't need to let you know buddy. Lee and the selectors will, when he's automatically chosen. It's gonna happen, don't believe a word of Hilditch's "form not reputation" bull.:laugh:

And then the silence will become deafening as it usually does in here.
You mean what's the difference apart from the fact that a bowler will pretty much always bowl consistently quicker in a limited overs match compared to a test match? The key is in the limited part tbh.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
You mean what's the difference apart from the fact that a bowler will pretty much always bowl consistently quicker in a limited overs match compared to a test match? The key is in the limited part tbh.

Nope. That's not what i meant. I'm saying a guy who bowls 150 kph (which we saw Lee do yersterday) with the white ball can do it in tests with the red ball as well, as long as that same rhythm is there. Speed, after all, comes mainly from strength. What we'll have to see with Lee is whether he can bowl mid 130's - 140's for longer spells.

And of course, whether he can or not is yet to be proven until he plays FC games.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I've been reconsidering, and for me, if the deck isn't offering much to the spinners, Lee should be selected. But if the track is spinning, he should be ommitted for Hauritz, and Watson is capable of being 4th seamer for 15-20 overs maximum, and any other overs to come from Katich and Clarke, as well as the main 4.

social

What's the diffrence with speeds in test and limited? Don't play dumb. It's speed, not swing, buttboy.The thing we'll need to see is if he has the stamina to sustain that speed.

I won't need to let you know buddy. Lee and the selectors will, when he's automatically chosen. It's gonna happen, don't believe a word of Hilditch's "form not reputation" bull.:laugh:

I'll try and keep it really simple

Short spell with no pressure in perfect bowling conditions = very easy to bowl fast

Day 5 with test on the line and fifty overs already under your belt in the match = very hard to bowl fast

The fact is that Lee has not shown the ability to do the latter for a considerable period of time whilst both Johnson and Siddle have done it regularly in the last season

Hope that's clear enough for you

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
I'll try and keep it really simple

Short spell with no pressure in perfect bowling conditions = very easy to bowl fast

Day 5 with test on the line and fifty overs already under your belt in the match = very hard to bowl fast

The fact is that Lee has not shown the ability to do the latter for a considerable period of time whilst both Johnson and Siddle have done it regularly in the last season

Hope that's clear enough for you

Lee hasn't played FC matches yet, so we won't know till he does. We haven't seen Lee bowl 50 overs fully fit. We'll discuss that when he bowls 50 overs. Simple enough for you?

Siddle is coming back from injury, will he be able to do it? We won't know until he plays FC matches as well and he was carded to start bowling off a short run now and we don't know if that's happened.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Siddle has been having his workload severely restricted. He bowled through pain in the SA series, and then has been rested since. No rehabilitation, no operations. Just rest.

Son Of Coco

After 14 posts you're a veteran?

Or is this Precambrian again? I find it hard to believe it would be as he/she seems to be sticking up for an Australian.

Last edited:

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Siddle has been having his workload severely restricted. He bowled through pain in the SA series, and then has been rested since. No rehabilitation, no operations. Just rest.
Is that so? I clearly remember an article from The Age where Siddle mentions that he had only just started walking and was expecting to restart bowling 3 weeks from that.

I'll try to track down the article.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Or is this Precambrian again? I find it hard to believe it would be as he/she seems to be sticking up for an Australian.
Why? Cause I'm West Indian? You think I'm a sock-puppet? :laugh: Dude, I've been a supporter of the Aussie team ever since I was 13 and risk being hated by other West Indians for doing so.

Son Of Coco

Why? Cause I'm West Indian? You think I'm a sock-puppet? :laugh: Dude, I've been a supporter of the Aussie team ever since I was 13 and risk being hated by other West Indians for doing so.
I don't know how long you've been here for, but if you knew who Precambrian was you'd know what I'm talking about.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Your spies tell you what the prob is? Shoulder again?

Be tragic if he missed The Ashes. :whistling

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Had a number of back issues when he was very young, before he played his first couple of games for Victoria. After that, he had shoulder issues, and spent a while where he could bowl but not throw. He eventually had shoulder surgery, and was in recovery from that when he was in India on both the Australia "A" tour and when he made his debut. Thus his throwing arm is still recovering, not at its peak.

scorpiogal

U19 Debutant
Is that so? I clearly remember an article from The Age where Siddle mentions that he had only just started walking and was expecting to restart bowling 3 weeks from that.

I'll try to track down the article.

Here we go

The article is dated April 25th. 3 weeks away from bowling which should be now.