• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To be honest, this is absolutely what I think counties and states should be doing. Signing up their youngsters to 12-month contracts that gives them the say on what their players are doing the rest of the time.
Sure, if that were to happen, then it might be legal. Until then, I don't see how it is. Once he reaches a certain age, a player simply may not sign the contract though, especially in the case of Hussey,if he isn't playing T20 or something for them, and you still wouldn't have to make the payment.

In the end, you spend resources on a player for your own benefit and to achieve your goals. The player has rights and you don't have ownership of his employment after the duration of his contract.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Sure, if that were to happen, then it might be legal. Until then, I don't see how it is. Once he reaches a certain age, a player simply may not sign the contract though, especially in the case of Hussey,if he isn't playing T20 or something for them, and you still wouldn't have to make the payment.
I'm sure Hussey has a 12-month contract with WA that comes with his Australia contract anyway, so it would be up to them to release him.

I'm totally not against IPL, I think it's good. I just don't like this whole thing about how playing for more than one team is handled. Or the daft number of players each IPL side has.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm sure Hussey has a 12-month contract with WA that comes with his Australia contract anyway, so it would be up to them to release him.
Ah, then it would have to be in the IPL contract as to which side. To me, I don't like the way a player is handled either. There should be no exchange of money - the player should decide where he wants to play. If he wants to take the money (assuming its more in the IPL), go for it, if he wants to play for his state side, go for it. Or conversely, it should be written into the contract that players have no choice, and they should either play for their state or their IPL. Being hostage to payment seems like a bad compromise, especially if they have to play for the services of a player who did not play for that side.

I just don't like this whole thing about how playing for more than one team is handled. Or the daft number of players each IPL side has.
I agree. Ideally, I'd want maybe 2 foreign players allowed per side, and five in the squad. Four and ten seem high. If, that is, the stated aim is the betterment of Indian cricket (I doubt it is, but that's the claim).

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree. Ideally, I'd want maybe 2 foreign players allowed per side, and five in the squad. Four and ten seem high. If, that is, the stated aim is the betterment of Indian cricket (I doubt it is, but that's the claim).
Yeah, even last year some pretty decent players were being paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to do nothing. This year presumably it will be worse as more international teams have bigger gaps.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yea, if you're allowed to have 10, then you ought to be able to play all 10 if you want. It makes no sense to pay so much money for no benefit. Especially as an overseas player could cost $200,000 to sit on a bench while a domestic Indian player costs $20,000. Allowing four in the squad makes more sense...though then you could see salaries go as high as $3-$4million for six weeks. :shock:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Hussey was barred from playing where he wanted unless a sum was paid by his employer, that type of restriction of trade would not fly in the courtroom. Unless they started specifically adding that clause in the contracts for WA when you're a youngster - but I'm sure that could be successfully challenged too.
Nah i'm pretty sure that'd hold up in court. It does for every other sport.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nah i'm pretty sure that'd hold up in court. It does for every other sport.
If Hussey does not want to sign a WA contract, and signs with Chennai instead, WA aren't owed any money for past money spent on development.

As I mentioned above, if he does choose to have an active WA contract, than obviously the contract can specify whatever it wants. If the contract doesn't specify all the details, then there has to be some precedence on which contract counts. Meaning, should WA have to pay Chennai or vice versa? Obviously it wouldn't get to that, as you'd hope the contracts are written better.

pup11

International Coach
No coincidence between where Nannes has gone, and whom the coach of Delhi is.
I don't think there is much wrong with that, and it shouldn't be surprising at all, coaches would probably favour players who they know well and rate, if i am not wrong Andrew McDonald too has been signed by the Daredevils, and obviously most franchises are respecting the way their coach's decision.

Lehmann is the coach of Chargers, and i am expecting him to favour a few South Australian mates of his, and he has already signed Ryan Harris (though he is not South Australian anymore), same goes with other coaches too, i am sure they too would bring in a few local talents from their part of the world, and i think its great platform for these lesser know players to come and show what they have got.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, you'll notice that guys with just sidespin on the ball, like Clarke and Symonds, tend to go the journey in Twenty20. However, those who get the ball up and down quickly tend to get away with it a bit more.

Precambrian

Banned
When since IPL amounts made sense? Clarke's amount if true confirms it. Only Raj Royals and Chennai Kings have decent idea of what they are paying out and what they are getting back in return.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Didn't he cite player burnout as a reason he didn't do the IPL thing last year? Of course, he was stupid to do so, anyone who passes up $1 million for a couple weeks of hit and giggle business is odd, to say the least.
No, it wasn't burnout. His dad had cancer, and his fiancee's dad also was very sick with cancer (passed away just after the IPL, iirc). I think he just wanted some time at home.

Precambrian

Banned
No, it wasn't burnout. His dad had cancer, and his fiancee's dad also was very sick with cancer (passed away just after the IPL, iirc). I think he just wanted some time at home.
He took a couple of weeks off Australia's tour to Windies also. Good guy that. No wonder he got Lara Bingle.