• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to IPL 2009.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It'll be interesting to see, I'm not sure what's in it for Delhi to agree to terms like that.
Well, I suppose the fact that they don't have to make any payments to his state side. Though I don't know the monetary sum that he has been signed for, so the payment (I think its based on the salary) could be relatively trivial.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, I suppose the fact that they don't have to make any payments to his state side. Though I don't know the monetary sum that he has been signed for, so the payment (I think its based on the salary) could be relatively trivial.
It said he was $300,000.

I would have thought paying a state side so their top bowler has to sit on the bench for you could well be worth it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It said he was $300,000.

I would have thought paying a state side so their top bowler has to sit on the bench for you could well be worth it.
Good point. It would depend on Delhi's finances, if they have to pay off multiple people from their side, then they may have to make decisions. If he is the only one in the squad where they need to make a payment, then more than likely they would do it.

Do you know how much Delhi would have to pay his state side?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Good point. It would depend on Delhi's finances, if they have to pay off multiple people from their side, then they may have to make decisions. If he is the only one in the squad where they need to make a payment, then more than likely they would do it.

Do you know how much Delhi would have to pay his state side?
Seem to recall about $200,000 being thrown about in relation to M Hussey this year. I don't know whether that's a percentage or not though.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Seem to recall about $200,000 being thrown about in relation to M Hussey this year. I don't know whether that's a percentage or not though.
I didn't think he went for all that much, so it might be a flat fee. If so, it seems unreasonably high. I bet IPL franchises will try to rework that after they have to start forking that much over for multiple people.

As an aside, it seems Mike Hussey has decided to play for Chennai if they both qualify - or rather, did last year. His reasoning makes sense, as he has never played T20 for WA.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I didn't think he went for all that much, so it might be a flat fee. If so, it seems unreasonably high. I bet IPL franchises will try to rework that after they have to start forking that much over for multiple people.

As an aside, it seems Mike Hussey has decided to play for Chennai if they both qualify - or rather, did last year. His reasoning makes sense, as he has never played T20 for WA.
$$$$$$$$$$

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Surely players must get paid for the CL? Otherwise why are they all so bothered about it?
Well, obviously they get paid. But they'd get paid whether they were appearing for WA or Dolphins or Chennai. I don't think they get paid more for the latter than the former. Of course, I could be wrong about that, but if I'm not, choosing the latter for the money wouldn't make sense.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, obviously they get paid. But they'd get paid whether they were appearing for WA or Dolphins or Chennai. I don't think they get paid more for the latter than the former. Of course, I could be wrong about that, but if I'm not, choosing the latter for the money wouldn't make sense.
I don't know, I assumed in the case of the IPL players the amount you were paid would depend on the amount you cost. For example, Yusuf Pathan would get paid more than Niraj Patel. Completely an assumption though. I guess we'll find out in due course.

Anyway, I thought the IPL franchise had priority as long as it pays the release fee. I don't think the players have any say?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't know, I assumed in the case of the IPL players the amount you were paid would depend on the amount you cost. For example, Yusuf Pathan would get paid more than Niraj Patel. Completely an assumption though. I guess we'll find out in due course.

Anyway, I thought the IPL franchise had priority as long as it pays the release fee. I don't think the players have any say?
Hmm, yea, I'm not sure about how that goes. It would be highly unfair for Chennai to pay WA for Hussey if Hussey has never even played a T20 for WA, so I'm not sure if Chennai would be forced to pay. Similarly, if he only played a couple games for Chennai but played the entire T20 season for Middlesex, it would be unfair if Chennai automatically got him. That's a good question.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, yea, I'm not sure about how that goes. It would be highly unfair for Chennai to pay WA for Hussey if Hussey has never even played a T20 for WA, so I'm not sure if Chennai would be forced to pay. That's a good question.
Chennai definitely had to pay WA. After all, WA have spent about 15 years developing Hussey. Chennai have done nothing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Chennai definitely had to pay WA. After all, WA have spent about 15 years developing Hussey. Chennai have done nothing.
I don't buy that reasoning. The English counties don't pay Mumbai for Tendulkar's services. Or India saying I'd have to pay taxes in India for the rest of my life since they expended resources when I grew up. Or you receiving training as part of your job, but several years later, if you leave, your new employer has to pay your former employer for that training. It wouldn't be legal, and doesn't work like that anywhere else.

If Hussey was barred from playing where he wanted unless a sum was paid by his employer, that type of restriction of trade would not fly in the courtroom. Unless they started specifically adding that clause in the contracts for WA when you're a youngster - but I'm sure that could be successfully challenged too.

Last edited:

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't buy that reasoning. The English counties don't pay Mumbai for Tendulkar's services. Or India saying I'd have to pay taxes in India for the rest of my life since they expended resources when I grew up. Or you receiving training as part of your job, but several years later, if you leave, your new employer has to pay your former employer for that training. It wouldn't be legal, and doesn't work like that anywhere else.

If Hussey was barred from playing where he wanted unless a sum was paid by his employer, that type of restriction of trade would not fly in the courtroom. Unless they started specifically adding that clause in the contracts for WA when you're a youngster - but I'm sure that could be successfully challenged too.
To be honest, this is absolutely what I think counties and states should be doing. Signing up their youngsters to 12-month contracts that gives them the say on what their players are doing the rest of the time.