• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Pietersen's Left Handed Batting Illegal?

Is His Left Handed Switch Illegal?

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"I covered my eyes as soon as he turned his body around," Collingwood said. "I was quite surprised and I went 'Oh no' but he smashed it. In fact he smashed it twice. He did actually come up the wicket and say 'I was thinking about that in bed last night,' so at least we know the visualisation was there."
:lol: (on many accounts)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
As it stands today, this is unfair to the bowlers, extremely so, but not illegal because there is nothing in the laws to prevent him. I think the laws need to be modified to to allow LBW's to balls pitching on either si9de of the stumps and in the limited overs game, not to declare the legside wide for close deliveries (as is done presently) to balls pitched on either of the two leg sides (except genuinely wide balls of course).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The critics have a legitamate complaint but nothing will happen because, as the good Doctor pointed out more than a century ago, the crowds go to see KP bat and not to see Dan Vettori bowl

cowboysfan

U19 Debutant
If somebody can hit a shot like that than good for them but the "outside the leg side"rule should not apply for a LBW decision-only criteria being the ball should be hitting the stumps.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
The critics have a legitamate complaint but nothing will happen because, as the good Doctor pointed out more than a century ago, the crowds go to see KP bat and not to see Dan Vettori bowl
I'd rather see Vettori bowl than Pietersen bat, itbt.

Langeveldt

Soutie
It doesn't have a law yet, so we don't know if it is illegal.. Personally I think it's fine, but the bowler should be able to either change hands mid delivery (I've seen a couple of ambidextrous bowlers), or be able to bowl both sides of the wicket..

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the bowler can choose to change to over or round the wicket at will it will be necessary to have technology deal with front foot no-balls

jammay123

State 12th Man
as long as the bats men doesnt have to declare if he uses right or left hand then its not illegal but whether that changes or not is up to the govening bodies

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What if:

I am a right handed batsman, but I take guard left handed to force two or less slips, and then simply switch over to the right hand as the bowler is running in?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So we might be losing test cricket altogether to some mad baseball style game, but all the ICC are worried about is a loon playing the odd funky shot? Fair play to Pietersen to be honest, heck of a shot.. Just hope when he tries it against South Africa he loses either his middle stump or a tooth..
Yeah, I couldnt agree more.

What is the point getting all hot under the collar over a shot that his high risk, few can play and even those that do only play it infrequently?

A non-issue for me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, I couldnt agree more.

What is the point getting all hot under the collar over a shot that his high risk, few can play and even those that do only play it infrequently?

A non-issue for me.
So let me ask you this: if I am a right handed batsman and take a left hand guard, they won't be able to put as many slips 'leg' side. Then as the bowler is running in, I switch and play right handed.

Should that be allowed?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What?!

I seriously suggest you read the lbw law before posting on cricket forums TBH.
Ease up Richard.

I agree that the rule needs changing, but I also agree that as a bowler, I wouldn't mind the batsman changing grips. Reckon whilst it paid off for Pietersen against NZ, a lot of the time the batsman are going to screw themselves over.

But as I said, the rule needs to change, for fielding reasons most importantly.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So let me ask you this: if I am a right handed batsman and take a left hand guard, they won't be able to put as many slips 'leg' side. Then as the bowler is running in, I switch and play right handed.

Should that be allowed?
KP is doing it as the ball is bowled.

He is set and then makes the change as the ball is delivered and he begins the process of playing the shot.

Its close to all one action and quite fluid. Nothing like changing stance once (or more) during the bowlers run up.

KP is set and then plays a shot. Just so happens its a pretty complicated shot that involves him moving his feet. His stance is clearly defined at the time of delivery.