• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Harbhajan reignites racism storm

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Can't really agree with this more. India knew the rules, they agreed for them and the guy overseeing the appeal was independent and qualified in legal matters (instead of a cricket referee). If he gives you a decision you don't like - thats really tough cookies for you.

You can't pick and choose when you'll follow the law. You agreed to follow the rules when you joined the ICC, and if you don't like a particular rule, you can lobby to have it changed later, but they can't even claim that in this case because you're not ever going to get better than an impartial judge who is well versed in legal matters. Threatening to pull out was childish and utterly unjustified.
I can't be 100% sure but I think that the BCCI had to do all of that to prevent a loss of face, it might be a cultural issue, similar to for instance Japan.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
yeah, but still a word which CAN be considered to be racist shouldn't be said. The basic awareness should be there and I am sure Harbhajan knew that if he called Symonds "monkey", it could be considered racist.... EVen He can't be that dumb.
Wouldn't bet money on that.:laugh:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Look at this exchange between Afridi and Gambhir. It was MUCH MUCH more offensive than any "monkey" insult. It had things about mothers, sisters, pimping, etc. And al caught on the mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SQ9TRuLwU4
I think that is a voice over and NOT a microphone recording. Someone has tried to lip-read what was being said & some of what he is saying are at best guesses. But yes lots of insults were traded. But none of them racially offensive and bookable as level 3.

Bracken

U19 Debutant
I can't be 100% sure but I think that the BCCI had to do all of that to prevent a loss of face, it might be a cultural issue, similar to for instance Japan.
It is NOTHING like the Japanese "saving face" cultural phenomenon. In Japanese culture, saving face is done through self-sacrifice and submission, not through self-serving brinkmanship and threats.

It had nothing to do with saving face. It was about demanding that the process conform to their opinion. No more, no less.

Craig

World Traveller
Hasn't this issue be done to death already? I mean the decisons have been made and the Test has been played and we can't go back in time. Time to move on IMO.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And yet Harby can't be "justifiably" averse to Symonds, is it???????????????????

That is just a stupid post. If he genuinely thinks Lee has done well and pats him, Symonds has to get involved, is it??? Trust me, Symonds has come off has a much bigger arrogant fool here than anyone else, unless Bhajji did use the term monkey, even in which case, if the "mutual" agreement between Symonds and BHajji was that Symo won't abuse him and Bhajji won't call him a "monkey".. If that part is true, then it is simply a case of tit for tat on Bhajji's part and Symo is just a crybaby for complaining about it.
"justifiably averse" - yes

racist - no

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Got to say harbhajan took the abuse very well today with a smiling face.
If symonds cannot take abuse similarly ,he better not tour india later this year.

masterblaster

International Captain
Got to say harbhajan took the abuse very well today with a smiling face.
If symonds cannot take abuse similarly ,he better not tour india later this year.
Yeah, was quite happy with the way Harbhajan conducted himself. Even took that bungled catch, where he almost bumped into Pathan, in good spirits. He can be pretty arrogant or rude sometimes but his thick skinned attitude can be a benefit.

Dusty Lee

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The whole appeal was an absolute farce put on by the ICC to keep the Indians happy. When there big flash High Court judge came along and didn't even know Harbhajan's record before sentencing it makes it seem like there was something underhanded afoot.

Money talks and bull**** walks.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, was quite happy with the way Harbhajan conducted himself. Even took that bungled catch, where he almost bumped into Pathan, in good spirits. He can be pretty arrogant or rude sometimes but his thick skinned attitude can be a benefit.
I think he should complain if anything remotely racial was said to him.Symonds himself wasted no chance in complaining in india.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Hypothetical question: what would have happened if the initial punishment handed out by Proctor was a one match ban?
Probably the same reaction. Ind were'nt going to have one of their players besmirched with a 'racist' stigma without direct evidence.

I suppose the bigger question is what does this do to Procter's standing ( and / or the match referee's ) ?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think he should complain if anything remotely racial was said to him.Symonds himself wasted no chance in complaining in india.
FFS.

The uber-cringeworthy, embarrassingly one-eyed Aussie cheerleaders on here who just keep repeating the same misguided **** get (quite rightfully) crucified for being muppets. You somehow seem to escape relatively unscathed despite being as big an offender as any of them.

Don't know how or why TBH, but **** me I've had enough.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Probably the same reaction. Ind were'nt going to have one of their players besmirched with a 'racist' stigma without direct evidence.

I suppose the bigger question is what does this do to Procter's standing ( and / or the match referee's ) ?
It's just a hypothetical, because it would have meant that Harbhajan would have only been suspended for a game that he would've been dropped for anyways.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It's just a hypothetical, because it would have meant that Harbhajan would have only been suspended for a game that he would've been dropped for anyways.
Well, if Harbhajan had been banned for three games for any other reason, there probably wouldn't have been an outcry.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yes, but I'm asking what do people think would've happened if Proctor only banned him for one.
Suspect it'd be pretty much the same deal. As Engle & SS have suggested I reckon it was the labelling of Harbhajan as a racist (&, by extension, a liar) that seemed to get the BCCI's dander up. Or Kumble's & Sachin's, abetted by the BCCI, depending on which report one reads. For mine there's also an element of the-shoe-on-the-other-foot about it as well; any slights on India's reputation (real or imagined) are still viewing in some quarters as the Anglos being high-handed with the colonials, whose board is a little chippy as a result. Proctor using "beyond reasonable doubt" obviously didn't help either.

Interesting point tho, would it be worth the arse to fight the principle for a bloke you aren't playing?

Matt79

Global Moderator
Agree, and yes, they would have thought it was worth it. IMO.

Glad that we seemed to get through tonight without any further unpleasantness. Bhajji took his lumps from the crowd and by laughing it off has probably helped to ensure that the crowd attention against him dies down sooner. Might have helped that with 85,000 people making noise, it was probably impossible to pick out anything specific anyone in the stands was saying.

I lol'd when they were talking to Symonds on the field with him being mic'd up. That would have saved a lot of confusion and dispute if that had been the case in Sydney! Also thought it was funny when Gilchrist was talking to the commentators when batting and then said, "young Sreesanth is glaring at me, I think he thinks me talking like this is sledging at him". :) After the crap this week, it was nice to see the teams shake hand, and also nice to see Sehwag be so gracious about Gilchrist and Gilly stopping especially to go over and thank him.