• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"I didn't bowl your little outswingers"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I abuse my own teammates at my cricket club when they field hatless. Its not on.
:laugh: Glad I don't play with you!

I only ever wear a sunhat when it's stupidly sunny and Factor 52 won't do the trick alone.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here is a small selection. Im bored so Ill put up pics and see if people can recognise them (some easy, others not)

Never seen him at that age before, but I'm presuming he's Le Roux with a picture in an article for Marcus?
Shaun Tait of course.
Sylvester Clarke.
Frederick Flintoff.
Wesley Winfield Hall (I think... :unsure:).
The man you got your nickname from.
Frederick Sewards T.
Anderson Roberts?
Mervyn Hughes.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am I missing something or is Trueman bowling left-arm here :unsure:

Does look rather like it - I've seen all sorts of similarly deceptive photos though (including one that makes Murali look like he's fully straightened his elbow :laugh: which it's been medically proven he cannot do) and I presume this is just another.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
2 possible explanations

a) He is bowling left arm, which is unlikely
or
b) Its a mirror image photo. Its more likely that he is bowling right arm and that the image is flipped an he appears to be bowling left arm. Im sure there are more technical phrases that I dont know that detail this.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well unless he routinely took to bowling left-arm in Championship matches, it has to be an directionally-inversed (?) image. Interesting, I was wondering if it was just an illusion, but there's no doubt at all really that the arm which, in that image, appears as his left, is indeed the bowling-arm.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Well unless he routinely took to bowling left-arm in Championship matches, it has to be an directionally-inversed (?) image. Interesting, I was wondering if it was just an illusion, but there's no doubt at all really that the arm which, in that image, appears as his left, is indeed the bowling-arm.
and the right leg is the plant leg as opposed to his usual left leg

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Yea I know Thommo bowled faster than 160 km/h regularly, and the speed guns were completely different back then.

Rod Marsh reckoned he bowled 180, Thommo says 180, I know who I am going to trust.... the keeper who kept to him and the bowler himself. Noone else has a clue except those 2
Did Marsh kept up to Akthar to feel how did 160k felt? Not a brilliant idea to trust them, who've never kept to other quick boqlers of the era.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
JBMAC said:
Whether any of these fast bowlers are as fast as we reckon or they reckon,let me asure you all JEFF THOMPSON WAS THE FASTEST I HAVE FACED IN NEARLY FIFTY YEARS OF PLAYING CRICKET.
1. You've not faced Shoaib to know how quick he was/is. You are just guessing that he is NEAR Thompson. So you are omitting one of the best exponets of pace.

2. You never faced Mohammed Zahid on his pomp. Lara and Aravinda de SIlva (both very good players of extreme pace, check what they've done to Wasim and Waqar in early and mid 90s if you doubt) will testify that Zahid was the quickest by a fair margin out of bowlers they've faced. Yes they've faced Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Akthar and Lee, and have destroyed all of them when on the mood. Zahid was the only one I've seen hurrying Youngish Lara and De Silva. No other bowler on the planet was able to do it except Kumble and Warne against Lara and de Silva (that is a different kettle of fish though) in their youth.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Marsh IIRC relayed how Lillee, being the senior quick, got to bowl into the wind, while Thommo had to bowl against it.
Despite this, he still felt that Thommo bowled faster. In fact, his reaction while collecting (from Thommo clips) clearly shows his astonishment at the speed of delivery

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Marsh IIRC relayed how Lillee, being the senior quick, got to bowl into the wind, while Thommo had to bowl against it.
Despite this, he still felt that Thommo bowled faster. In fact, his reaction while collecting (from Thommo clips) clearly shows his astonishment at the speed of delivery
Thommo jogged to the crease though, so a wind would not affect him as greatly as Lillee who leapt and bounded to the wicket.

subshakerz

International Coach
Interesting how he mentioned Marshall was the best, I would have expected him to say Lillee. I guess the fact that Marshall got wickets everywhere with equal success was something hard to do if you rely just on pace and bounce like Thomson.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Am I missing something or is Trueman bowling left-arm here :unsure:

2 possible explanations

a) He is bowling left arm, which is unlikely
or
b) Its a mirror image photo. Its more likely that he is bowling right arm and that the image is flipped an he appears to be bowling left arm. Im sure there are more technical phrases that I dont know that detail this.
It's not unlikely at all, Trueman often bowled left arm spin in charity matches, confirmed here by Bill Frindall in question two paragraph three.

That seems far more likely than it being a reversed photo and his delivery stride would be unlikely to leave his feet in that position if he was bowling fast,