• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India in Australia

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Awesome avatar.

Nah. Already posted on it re: Raghav. See no reason why people like pup11 and aussie support teams other than their own country. Simply unpatriotic. If it was a case of supporting WA over Tasmania despiite having lived in Tasmania all your life is completely different. The country thing though not treason but a treasonous act.
Agree with the West Indian one (I can't remember which one of those islands you're from... :D).

I have no issue with people supporting teams in the English premiership when they're from places like NZ, or even supporting a non-NZ team in the A-League, NBL, or ARL. Those are professional competitions. What I can't understand is why someone would support a national team in direct competition with their own - it's as though they have no pride in being a resident of their own country.

pup11 doesn't put India down all the time, like Raghav does, he simply supports a different country. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, people support teams other than their home side all the time, and they should be allowed to. The whole patriotism thing is overblown massively. What happens if I think Daniel Vettori is a dickhead? Should I still support him because he's from New Zealand? Hell no I shouldn't, I'll support somebody who I like.
Every team has twits (in Perm's case, he ridiculously thinks NZ's is Vettori - I'd go for Styris....) much like every every team has a good munter (like Patel (NZ), Hussey (Aus), Flintoff (England). FFS, just because you don't like one guy in the team, for you to switch your support to another side entirely is ****ing childish.

Still, it's "allowed". No-one's actually stopping you, Perm. Which made the 3-0 series win over Bangladesh all the more enjoyable when your flip-flopping between support was firmly rubbed back in your face.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
See, I don't think it is. I think we're just better able to see all of the mistakes a human makes in umpiring the game. I strongly suspect it's always been this way and certainly I've seen enough dud decisions in my time as a cricket watcher.

Hogg getting close to 50, SoC watching with anticipation.
Yeah this is probably right, the stump mikes pick up soo much not to mention hotspot and the super slow mo.

When did stump mikes get introduced, any correlation with the decline in bad umpiring?

LJMJ

U19 12th Man
Bucknor up to his old tricks again. Saved Australia's butt in '04 here and doing it once more. First Ponting and now this. India won't win anything with umpires so blatantly supporting Australia.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I bet if JASON was an Indian fan he would be jumping up and down and claiming bias.
Heh, in all the matches I've seen Bucknor umpiring, I've never seen him give a roughie in India's favour.

Regardless, he's well past his peak. Rubbish umpire these days.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, posted just then without reading the thread first, should have expected the usual conspiracy theory garbage. The umpiring has been bad, the tears are pure gold. Yuvraj not out in the last test anyone? Ponting out today? Why did the biased umpires make those incorrect decisions? Just to cover their tracks?

pup11

International Coach
Yes, there is. Some people prefer to watch hard workers like Hussey and guys with immense enthusiasm like Hogg rather than Indian cricketers who are treated like royalty and whose attitudes aren't up to scratch.
Thanks for all the support Zac, you are bloke mate but before this issue creates any more fuss let me clarify my stand.
Look guys i would support anything i like and nobody can do a **** about that, sorry about sounding a bit rude but this topic really irritates me it is completly my choice which team i support and why i do it, i am not pulling down India or neither am i asking anybody to support the Australian cricket team.
My mom is from Australian origin so i have a lot of relatives living in Australia and i just love the culture and people of Australia and the same could be said about the Australian team i just love the way they play and with the attitude they play so i don't see why anybody from among you should have a problem with that.

Craig

World Traveller
Think India lack the killer instinct, from 6/134 to this, they really should of gone in for the kill. But credit to Symonds and Hogg. This must be torture to PEWS.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think India lack the killer instinct, from 6/134 to this, they really should of gone in for the kill. But credit to Symonds and Hogg. This must be torture to PEWS.
I actually don't have anything against Hogg's batting. Hope he makes a ton. I just don't think his bowling is test standard.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Bad decisions will happen for Australia bowling to India, don't get too cranky, I think it is inevitable for technology to creep it's head into more umpiring decisions eventually, wether you agree or disagree with it.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When did stump mikes get introduced, any correlation with the decline in bad umpiring?
1988? Maybe a bit before? To be honest, we didn't really start hearing so much about poor umpiring until the 3rd umpire came about I reckon. It, I think, forced people to continually revisit decisions they would ordinarily have written off as 'part of the game' in the past. Then we had the introduction of those super slow-mo cameras which intensified the scrutiny I reckon, especially since we can now see better where the ball is going which wasn't the case in the mid-90's before those cameras arrived..

archie mac

International Coach
Bucknor up to his old tricks again. Saved Australia's butt in '04 here and doing it once more. First Ponting and now this. India won't win anything with umpires so blatantly supporting Australia.
I should post this one8-)

But these posts are just so, so, so silly

So this one :laugh:

Evermind

International Debutant
How well is Hogg batting? It's amazing. Obviously we all knew the guy could bat, but he's playing more like a 6 or 7 than a bowler. Definitely capable of making a big score here.

India could have this wrapped up if they'd been a bit sharper in the field though. Umpiring has been pretty bad, given that Ponting was given not out and then out, both incorrectly, and the horrible Symonds call just before, but India haven't made things any easier on themselves with their efforts in the field again. RP Singh bowled really well though, certainly surprised me.
AWTA.

However, bear in mind that Hogg has been exceptionally lucky - he has looked pretty clueless against Kumble, and got a ball that bounced off the stump but didn't knock them down!

The problem is that India have been bowling a lot of loose balls - and that's allowed him to hit without take major risks. Some of the 4s he has hit have been really bad balls - if India had just tried to bowl line-and-length consistently like Australia did on the second day of the first test - what a great spell of fast bowling it was to suffocate Dravid and Jaffer - Hogg would've been 10 and out by now.

Both Symonds and Hogg, if not for umpiring and poor bowling/fielding, should definitely have been back in the pavilion a long time ago. It's not their skill that has kept them on the field.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
No, it doesn't work like that either. Test cricket is a very small statistical sample. If a team played a Test game 365 days a year, the decisions might even out over a fifty year period. For example, this decision will not even out unless next session India get the exact same decision in their favor resulting in the exact same runs. Otherwise, they don't even out.

Just because decisions are a random entity that may be evenly distributed, that doesn't mean that he repercussions of those decisions are anywhere near spread evenly, even over an entire career.
Why just Test Cricket though? With all the First Class Cricket players participate in, and all the lead-up to that stage in their career, that's a large enough sample for mine.

Either way, whatever. I don't care about it. Got given out LBW for 47 the other week after inside-edging onto my pad. Did I moan about it? Sure I did, to all and sundry. But that is cricket for mine.

To be fair, the way I live my life means things like this have little, if no meaning. Where to yourself, it's obviously a larger part. Fair enough if that's so.

pasag

RTDAS
Superb two sessions of cricket, with the Indian bowlers really doing a magnificent job, especially RP. I don't think many would have predicted this with their best bowler out.

Not to take much away from India, but the Australian batsmen have been pretty poor on what supposedly has been a pretty flat pitch. Ponting looked like he was going to get out any minute and should have been out much earlier than he was. Credit to Symonds and Hogg though, riding their luck but playing some impressive shots.

Tbh, the umpiring has been woeful, the one for and one against Ponting and the Symonds let off were all shockers. Anyways, exciting Test ahead.

Edit: haven't read the thread but looking at Faaip's post a page back I'm not sure I want to.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why just Test Cricket though? With all the First Class Cricket players participate in, and all the lead-up to that stage in their career, that's a large enough sample for mine.
Huh? You losing your place in a Test side because a couple decisions went against you does not in any way make up for decisions that went in your favor in FC cricket. This makes no sense. And FC cricket and test cricket is still nowhere near large enough as a statistical sample. You'd need every player from an entire country for something like fifty years to have a sample which you could be confident in. Because remember, its not merely the number of decisions that have to even out - its the repercussions from those decisions that have to even out too. Getting a new life for a #9 who got out the next ball anyway doesn't matter as much as an opening batsman who put on 200 after his chance.