• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

Spark

Global Moderator
Sure plenty would be made of it. There are more important factors in each game though.
City did look very leggy at times tbf. Still should have won the game though, created enough and all three goals had pretty lousy keeping to put it mildly.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
dcye’s Messi take is correct.

The Kane one is questionable though. Bloke has been quite obviously worse since some of his ankle injuries. Would still do well at City based on what’s behind him but he’s no longer the elite marksman he once was

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT

The Kane one is questionable though. Bloke has been quite obviously worse since some of his ankle injuries. Would still do well at City based on what’s behind him but he’s no longer the elite marksman he once was
For me, Kane's ankle injuries aren't as bad as made out and more a product of his circumstances at Spurs. They've plagued him but he's still played 30 games the last two seasons and scored some fantastic goals, which is more than he'd start at City with the way we rotate. He will noticeably decline staying at Spurs though because they play him into the ground every year and don't allow him to recover properly from his injuries.

grecian

If Kane went to City I would start the spread at 32-34. They need something like that, for all the talk of defensive frailties, their lack of clinical finishing has cost them so much this year.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I wonder if it's a coincidence that the French and German teams, who would have come into this tournament off a break, have prevailed into the semi finals?
I think it is - I can see the argument somewhat for the German clubs in that they have played football relatively recently, had a couple of weeks rest and then played again but if anything I'd argue French sides are at a disadvantage - Lyon have only played 2 competitive matches post lockdown, 1 of them against Juve in UCL last 16 before the City match. PSG only 2 competitive games before their UCL tie v Atalanta. I think we've even seen especially in the early games after the restart the games seemed to lack intensity - in part due to no fans but it can't have helped that the only practice some teams had were 1 or 2 friendlies that carried little consequence.

I myself am a Chelsea fan but I'm glad Lyon won not just because Man City are therefore out although I am happy about that but some English football fans are so arrogant and if it isn't the Premier League its a "farmers league" in the mind of many fans - this Lyon side finished 7th in Ligue 1 before the league was cut short lets remember. I think even in the media there is an element of not given foreign sides who are not Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid the due credit. So much has been made of Man City but not about Lyon, a brave performance and they have beaten Juve over 2 legs and now Man City. Sure City missed a couple chances and was that their best performance no but if the shoe is on the other foot and Lyon aren't at 100%, the focus would still be on how good Pep and Man City are and that this could be their year etc.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah I mean he’s not a bad striker these days for what you’d pay Levy he’d be a huge mistake. So many of the all time worst signings are big name strikers, in their late 20s, who haven’t been the same since injuries but you buy them anyway hoping it’s temporary. A lot of the excuses made for Kane sound exactly like those made for Torres or Shevchenko.

Pothas

Kane is still scoring way more goals than those two were though. Kane is a difficult one because he has spent pretty much his whole career being doubted.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kane is still scoring way more goals than those two were though. Kane is a difficult one because he has spent pretty much his whole career being doubted.
Lots of penalties though.
He’s better than they were for sure. But this season he was maybe the 7th best PL striker? Ings Vardy Martial Aguero Aubameyang and Jimenez all had better seasons. Which is still alright, and he might get back to the pre-injury heights at some stage. But he’d cost like 100m plus massive wages, far far more than you’d want to pay to take that chance.

Pothas

City in a bit of a tricky spot with strikers. Could Jesus still hit the standard they need? I have no idea and then finding a replacement is really hard.

grecian

City in a bit of a tricky spot with strikers. Could Jesus still hit the standard they need? I have no idea and then finding a replacement is really hard.
This is the problem isn't it, can't think of anyone that isn't a risk who will improve them, assuming Messi and Ronaldo are out of the question, actually think Kane is their safest bet.

Heard so many City fans saying Jesus does a lot of good work off the ball, that's nice but you need someone who can put the ball in the net, particularly in the big matches, and he ain't it IMHO. KDB deserves better.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm actually surprised Chelsea didn't have more competition to sign Werner, particularly at the price he was available at.