• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2017/18

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
He should have been sacked when he asked his chairman to spend £45m on Sigurdsson.
Well this is what I mean. If he did that then yeah sack him. If it was placed upon him by Steve Walsh or someone else then I don't think it's his fault he couldn't make anything brilliant of it in the first couple of months of the season with a really tough schedule.

cpr

International Coach
apparently this is the shortest tenure (in games) for an Everton manager in a century.
In the 21st Century maybe. Anyone who suffered Goodison Park in the 90's will vaguely recollect the Mike Walker era and Howard Kendalls 3rd coming, both thankfully shorter in time and games.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't like the smug faced **** but think the Koeman sacking is harsh. Finished 7th in his first season (best position you can reasonably expect), then lost by far his best player in the summer and has had five of his opening nine fixtures against last season's top six. And apparently this is the shortest tenure (in games) for an Everton manager in a century. Guess it depends how involved he was in transfers. If it was a significant role then fair enough, if not, looks pretty harsh to me.

Personally think there's a total misunderstanding in football circles when these clubs sell their best player and use all that money to buy other players. People just look at the money spent and not the money received, and see the quantity of players coming in and assume it means they should be better. But history suggests they'll probably be worse.

They were completely dire on Sunday though. Any side that properly contests the midfield at home to us has a good chance of getting a positive result, but they basically left it all to Gueye to face our three attacking midfielders, who were able to just run at the backline in wave after wave of attack. Strange because Koeman had won all his three previous home games against us so maybe things really were that desperate.
It’s just hard to look at the performance yesterday and not think they need a change. Even though the state of the team mostly isn’t his fault, they’ve completely fallen apart tactically. I might be over-reacting to one game but you just hardly ever see anyone recover from that low an ebb. The atmosphere it creates is so toxic. To weather it you need to be very well established at the club or have only just begun.

Also being Koeman he’s almost definitely fallen out with a few of the players. I don’t think he’s a terrible coach but it’s time to go.

Walsh should 100% be sacked too. He did really well to snipe a few media interviews at the right time to take the credit for Leicester but it’s been pretty clear since last summer that he’s bad at the job.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
The commentator acting as though penalty shootout goals count as actual goals was comedic, carrying on as if Aguero broke the record when he scored in the shootout.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Absolute cluster**** of a refereeing performance at the end of the game tonight. Most incompetent thing I've ever seen.

Rangers get an 88th minute penalty. Kilmarnock players are unhappy and moan at the referee. Linesman makes his way over from the touchline to stand on the goal-line where the penalty box meets it, as is normal for penalty kicks. Kilmarnock players interpret this as the linesman coming over to advise the referee he should change his decision. They persuade the referee to speak to his linesman - decision is still a penalty.

This literally takes 2-3 minutes, but eventually the players line up to take the penalty. Except Kilmarnock defender Kirk Broadfoot is winding up Rangers midfielder Ryanair Jack on the edge of the D and deliberately stands on his toes. Jack squares up to Broadfoot and motions forward with his head, Broadfoot goes down clutching his face. This all happens right in front of the referee. Another fracas begins as players from both sides get involved. Another 2-3 minutes pass, and the referee decides that a yellow card for each player will do. Ryan Jack removes himself from the action and stands at the centre circle. The players once again line up to take the penalty.

Rather than blowing his whistle to signal that the penalty should be taken, the referee puts his finger to his ear as one of his officials is talking to him. He then walks over to Ryan Jack, from the penalty area, and shows him a red card. This is greeted with amazement by the player as nothing has been said or done since the referee elected to book him. After a minute or so he is persuaded to leave the pitch.

By this point at least 5 or 6 minutes have elapsed and there is still a penalty to be taken. Finally, Daniel Candeias steps up, but the keeper saves the penalty. While the Rangers players are still trying to process what the **** has just happened, Kilmarnock immediately break up the pitch and equalise.

At this point, the 4th official belatedly signals that there are to be 6 more minutes of stoppage time.

2-3 minutes pass, and Rangers are awarded an indirect free kick as Kilmarnock's goalkeeper picks up a passback. The shot is deflected wide for a corner - but the referee blows for full time to the bemusement of everyone left in the ground.

I thought it would be a while before I saw a refereeing performance as bad as the one I witnessed on Sunday, where two separate instances of a player being elbowed in the face while challenging for the ball and being cut as a result were ignored by the referee, with play being waved on (on the second occasion, Rangers defender Fabio Cardoso had his nose broken as well for his troubles while the referee ignored him signalling desperately to the bench for treatment - the kicker being the player guilty of the elbow was already on a yellow for elbowing him in the first half)

I'd honestly expect fairer refereeing if the opposition mangers were allowed to officiate.