• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Olympics - does anyone actually care anymore?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Loved Seoul as a kid. But doping has always been going on, it was pretty systematic among all those Eastern European and USSR athletes we idolized back then. But there was very little TV and exposure back then, so it all seemed amazing and romanticized.

Daemon

I'll just watch a few things here and there, be awed at the crazy **** they do in gymnastics and laugh at the dressage event.

Hard to be interested when one man casually gets more medals than the two countries you can call home have in their entire history.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Already had a gold, didn't need another.

Gold + all 4 slams. WAG

Fed and Nole don't even have a singles gold :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
In all seriousness, I'll watch and enjoy it. Always excited to watch Bolt, and its competitive sport on TV, so I'm fine with that.

flibbertyjibber

I will watch the swimming and athletics and cycling. Will dip in and out of the boxing and rowing and watch some tennis.

Pews will be avidly watching the gymnastics.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
Remind us who's going out there to defend their gold?

Unlike the rest of you miserable ****s, I'm really looking forward to it. The hypes taking a bit longer to kick in as it's not on the doorstep this time, and there's been little in the way of build up in the news - more Zika worrys etc.

Still, when it starts I'm going to love it
Yeah..this for me too..

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd be highly surprised if this Olympics ends with at least half of the athletes not being robbed or murdered.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
When it comes to watching the Olympics I've always only watched the Athletics plus anything else where GB might win a Gold Medal.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I've never really been bothered about the Olympics tbh. Athletics etc... has always just struck me as "exercise" rather than "fun", so it's all a but underwhelming for me.

I enjoyed it when it was held in London, but I think that was more to do with the fact that I lived there at the time and enjoyed the atmosphere of the whole thing. I doubt I will watch much of it this time round.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Time zones make such a difference on my enjoyment of the Olympics.

Not sure whether it's that I'm more cynical than I was (due to age), or if everyone is. Think if someone came along now and did a Usain Bolt and just scorched the competition, we'd all be expecting the person to be done for drugs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's a great competition. I'll be happy to see what I can and abuse the Russians when they win medals.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Growing up, the Olympics were massive and much of the world would be glued to their televisions for the duration

This year's doesnt have anything like that feeling and, at best, is just another sporting event to me and to others that I have spoken to

I'm not sure whether it's due to the increased exposure that athletes get these days, me being jaded with doping, commercialization, corruption or whatever but it's all a bit meh as far as I'm concerned
See your opening sentence, how much of that do you reckon would be down to a lack of variety in televised live sport?

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah..this for me too..
Remind us who's going out there to defend their gold?

Unlike the rest of you miserable ****s, I'm really looking forward to it. The hypes taking a bit longer to kick in as it's not on the doorstep this time, and there's been little in the way of build up in the news - more Zika worrys etc.

Still, when it starts I'm going to love it
Your reminder of one defending champion we can all root for