• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2014-15

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
All of United's new signings looked good. But QPR basically posed no threat and couldn't defend, so it's hard to really conclude anything.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Brother in law is an ardent Liverpool (despite being on Evertons books as a teen...). Says Gerrard is spent now and will hold Liverpool back this year if you keep faith with him. Reckons he's now too immobile to sit between defence and midfield, and the team can't afford to carry him. Be interesting to hear other peoples opinions on that as I do tend to take on board his opinions on football

Meanwhile, season starts today, can't wait!
People have been saying this for 2 seasons running only for him to end up playing ridiculously well for the season. But it's nonsense, Gerrard is still probably top 3 in terms of our best/most important players (him + Sterling and Sturridge). He's just at an age now where even his 'average' games are looked at as some sort of sign of decline.

In other news; QPR are garbage. I mean Derby 07-08 kind of bad.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
People have been saying this for 2 seasons running only for him to end up playing ridiculously well for the season. But it's nonsense, Gerrard is still probably top 3 in terms of our best/most important players (him + Sterling and Sturridge). He's just at an age now where even his 'average' games are looked at as some sort of sign of decline.

In other news; QPR are garbage. I mean Derby 07-08 kind of bad.
Yeah, people do jump on Gerrard, but the brother in law isn't the type to jump on the bandwagon, and as someone who's played semi pro at a decent level I do respect his opinion (if not his choice of team), so to suddenly lay into one of his favourite players was a bit of a shock. Suppose the season will tell...

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All of United's new signings looked good. But QPR basically posed no threat and couldn't defend, so it's hard to really conclude anything.
TBF as terrible as they are they're surely not THAT much worse than Burnley or Milton Keynes. So it's still a pretty big improvement, although Rooney and RVP were still playing really poorly.

Di Maria though, amazing. On first impression signing an entire new team of much better players looks like it's worked out OK.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain

Okay, maybe this bloke can play a little. (Still not sure if he's a defender mind)
Nice. I knew he could play but his play today was really reassuring. He fit right in and was a nice foil for the attacking players. A bit surprised since I thought he was more of a defender. Only seen his WC games though.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Not really sure I buy Gerrard is much different from last year tbh. I still think in the right situation he will be useful.

It's not as if his game last season relied on legs etc, and his defensive weaknesses were as evident last season as they have been this season. Basically in 90% of games he will be Liverpool's most important player and in some cases he will be a liability.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Yeah, I think it's probably just bandwagon opinions either side of the slip that makes it look like a really sudden decline.

Having said that, I wouldn't really be that​ surprised. Arteta went in about the same time.

cpr

International Coach
TBF as terrible as they are they're surely not THAT much worse than Burnley or Milton Keynes. So it's still a pretty big improvement, although Rooney and RVP were still playing really poorly.

Di Maria though, amazing. On first impression signing an entire new team of much better players looks like it's worked out OK.
I didn't think Rooney did that bad TBH. He was coming deep for the ball again, which when you've got Mata and Di Maria on the pitch he doesn't need to do, but hopefully he'll get used to actually having players who can get the ball up the pitch for once. He took his goal well (though it was shocking defending...), and a lovely run off Di Maria that set up Herrera's goal.

Granted he didn't look fully on the boil, but I think you're being a bit too harsh on him. RVP was awful though, hardly saw him all game apart from having a tantrum when it wasn't given to him. He needs to buck up IMO, especially now he's got LVG in... he can't trade on their relationship too long, as LVG will drop him if he sees fit. Today he looked like the disillusioned player we saw under Moyes.

Defensively we still looked frail, luckily QPR were far too awful to capitalise. Blackett had a few Rio-esque lapses today that could've been costly, but in a way I'm kinda glad he's getting the chance to learn in the first team in games like this. Evans blew hot and cold, and Rafael was getting caught out high up the pitch as usual, there were a few chances to break down our left in the first half, luckily most were stopped by the linesman. Rojo was hardly seen, which given he had no defending to do, and didn't exactly need to attack down the left with Di Maria doing it all, I'm not too fussed about.

Of the other new guys, Di Maria obviously impressed going forward, but also was noticeable in tracking back and getting the ball near our own area, happened quite a few times (not least for Herrera's goal). Blind impressed me to, he was no nonsense breaking up their attacks and not giving their midfield time. He was keen to get the ball of the defence (no hoofing it up), generally looked for the forward pass, and also got himself in the action on the edge of the box - the kind of area Rooney had it last year, only to find no one in front of him....
Falcao ran a fair bit, and always looked to break forward after laying it off, which is nice given how last year we hardly got men in the box in open play.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Di Maria, Blind and Herrera looked really good as a trio. Personally thought (and still think) that it could be a bit lightweight and a bit unbalanced but they combined really well. Not to sound like I'm taking credit away but QPR are that bad that I still don't think it says much. There is a run of 4 games coming up soon where United play City, Chelsea and Arsenal which will probably say more about your current level and realistic aspirations.

Liverpool's football was pretty "**** on a stick" yesterday.
We weren't incisive but we were at least trying to play the game.

It was a bit inevitable, and maybe the wrong time to play such a team. 6/10 outfield players were all new players so the lacking chemistry was easy to spot. Unfortunately a lot of the injuries forced Rodgers' hand.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
RVP has been poor every game since the first 2 games at the WC pretty much. Even was poor for the Dutch last 2 games during the break.

Rooney is winning the battle to not be dropped with Falcao by a distance by atleast being productive amongst his **** touches and all.

Along with the new signings, Rafael was fantastic. Great to have him back. Such a big improvement over Valencia on the right flank these days as the RB or RWB even probably. And as others have said Blind, Di Maria, Herrera, Mata diamond worked extremely well.

Defense had their dodgy moments when left exposed but then having Shaw at LB and Rojo going central should be a improvement on that. Blow to lose Jones as he started the season really well.

Hope LVG sticks with this formation really rather than going 3 at the back again as we don't have players suited to it as of now. 3 at the back might be fine in some big games tactically as a counter attacking formation though.

Last edited: