• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Euro 2016 Qualifying Draw

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Didn't the Gunners used to win stuff in those days though?
Not really. If you go back to when we did win things we had the likes of Adams, Cole, Campbell, Seaman etc.. Our glut of non-Englishmen came post the invincibles in the Fabregas era, where we won literally nothing.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
My Vbox keeps on going for this match. It has excellent taste, I'm trying to assure it that I'm turning over after 9 for Peaky Blinders, but still on the blink. Honestly inanimate objects you can't reason with them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
It's one of those games where even hardy football fans wonder wtf the point is.

2-0 at HT and the away side are probably the happier.

Surely there's case for a pre-qualifying comp to weed out the no-hoperist of the no-hopers?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yep. Actually I am not even sure I forgot, first time in years and years that I had no idea England were playing.
Let's face it Thursday night is not a football night except for the Europa league and itv digital (****s) showing lower league games for a short while

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yep. Actually I am not even sure I forgot, first time in years and years that I had no idea England were playing.
I think I sort of knew. I mean I remember the squad being announced, and remembered, much to my annoyance, that it was international week. But other than that I had no idea there was a game on. I couldn't even tell you who England are playing at the weekend (or whenever the next game is) without looking it up either.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Why are games split on Thursday and Friday now?

When is our next game?
Another bright idea by UEFA - a "week of football" means games every night. Play one of Thursday & Sunday, Friday & Monday or Saturday & Tuesday,

A week obviously now consists of 6 days.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I really like it ftr. The international break would be so much worse if I felt obliged to only watch two England games all week.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How **** is Iker Casillas. ****ing woeful at both goals.
It's grim. He'd easily progressed into "stop, please, he's already dead" territory well before the World Cup. Just a few days after De Gea turned out the goalkeeping performance of the season so far too.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I really like it ftr. The international break would be so much worse if I felt obliged to only watch two England games all week.
Yeah it's definitely better this way, albeit still **** because international breaks are terrible.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The thing is though, most of the rest of the games are awful as well, not just the England ones. They are all either a good team playing a team that is crap/really crap. Or two crap/really crap teams playing each other. I mean, let's look at today's fixtures:

Wales v Bos-Herce
Latvia v Iceland
Netherlands v Kazakhstan
Turkey v Czech Rep
Belgium v Andorra
Cyprus v Israel
Bulgaria v Croatia
Italy v Azerbaijan
Malta v Norway
I'm not going to watch any of these in any event, as I'm going to the cinema later. But how many of these would I actually bother to watch if I had nothing else to do? Wales v Bosnia will probably be alright. Turkey vs Czech might be worth a go. Bulgaria v Croatia probably also alright. But none standout as being likely to be especially good, and the rest of the games I didn't mention well...no thanks tstl.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah the way they've done the international break is a good idea, just sadly the groups are spread far too thinly.

They really need a pre-qualifying group to weed out the dross (insert Scotland joke here) before the main qualifiers. But then again, with 24 qualifying, you need some sort of competitive edge to the groups.

If it was still 16 teams qualifying then you could weed out some dross, and have 8 groups of 5 with the top 2 qualifying. So pot 1 you'd have maybe Germany, Spain, Netherlands, France, England, pot 2 would be Italy, Belgium, Croatia, Portugal, Switzerland. Still the prospect of tasty matchups that would make qualifying meaningful.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
One of them will still probably be good enough to snag third, which is sufficient for at least a play-off.

That's the big problem with the expansion; it's heartening and amusing to see Albania, Slovakia and yer Poles besting Portugal, Spain and Jerry respectively but ultimately all three of the big boys will make it.

Qualification has become a series of glorified friendlies.