Page 3 of 343 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: *Official* English Football Season 2012-13

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Uppercut's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Hard to see it working out, even if he is as good a manager as his time at Porto suggests (and not as poor as his time at Chelsea suggests) he'll probably have to sell a lot of his best players and once again end up at a top-six team with top-four expectations. Plus the media aren't keen so it won't take too many poor results to make his position untenable.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    The Filth have comfortably the better bowling. But the Gash have the batting. Might be quite good to watch.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    RVP has said he's on his bike then
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Was resigned to it in January, tbh.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

Should just bench him until he is sold/end of the season whichever comes soonest

He is basically holding a gun to his employers' head so **** him

RVP displaying the character tham helped Holland to such success at the Euros I'm afraid
    Last edited by social; 04-07-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity
    Gutting news really, but what can you do? Been a huge asset to Arsenal over the last 12 months, but he's basically had one good season and seems to think he's now a megastar. Hope Arsenal don't waste any time getting shot of him and trying to find a replacement.

cpr
    AVB gives his first press conference as Spurs manager, exclusively to Sky Sports News

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Gutting news really, but what can you do? Been a huge asset to Arsenal over the last 12 months, but he's basically had one good season and seems to think he's now a megastar. Hope Arsenal don't waste any time getting shot of him and trying to find a replacement.
    Only started 117 games in the 7 years previously apparently. Sell him abroad and get a decent replacement, you may not be such a one man team with Giruoud, Podolski and the Ox coming through.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Nice to see Paul Merson chiming in to say he's made the wrong call. Where other than football would you get people criticising the career choices of someone they've never met and know next to nothing about?

Agree with grecian ftr. Plenty of fools running football clubs, should be easy to sell him for a value that doesn't take his injury record into account.
    Last edited by Uppercut; 04-07-2012 at 02:27 PM.

I just hope he doesn't go to Citeh...

Quote Originally Posted by Uppercut View Post
    Nice to see Paul Merson chiming in to say he's made the wrong call. Where other than football would you get people criticising the career choices of someone they've never met and know next to nothing about?

Agree with grecian ftr. Plenty of fools running football clubs, should be easy to sell him for a value that doesn't take his injury record into account.
    Him leaving is obviously very disappointing, but if he wants to go, he wants to go, and I'm not really bothered by whatever his motivations might be. He can make whatever decision he wants, it's fair enough, and all good things come to an end.

What gets my goat, however, is the way he's allowed this to be drawn out until the point where clubs are nearly back in pre-season training. It seems his mind has been made up all along, and to wait till now to reveal he wants out is pretty poor form. Granted, it's a big decision for him to have made, but there are more interests than just his at stake here. Of course, now that he's made this decision we've also been treated to the usual saccharine speech about how he loves the club, and loves the fans and so on, but if this were true, you'd have at least thought he'd have had the decency to not leave them hanging.
    Last edited by sledger; 04-07-2012 at 03:37 PM.

We've already bought Podolski and Giroud, it's not like we weren't prepared.

Sagna for captain

I suppose not, but asking one of them to take on the role of chief forward is going to be a big ask. Especially when you consider there are already question marks over Podolski's ability to handle pressure away from Köln and Giroud is a fairly unknown commodity.

And yeah, Sagna to be the new skipper hopefully. Or Vermaelen.

Or Song

Also, speaking of Podolski...

Captions anyone?

I can't come up with any myself, but there's something about this shot that makes me feel a bit dubious.

International Captain Agent TBY's Avatar
    Here's Podolski, posing with the jersey of every forward's favourite centre-back.
    orz

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Him leaving is obviously very disappointing, but if he wants to go, he wants to go, and I'm not really bothered by whatever his motivations might be. He can make whatever decision he wants, it's fair enough, and all good things come to an end.

What gets my goat, however, is the way he's allowed this to be drawn out until the point where clubs are nearly back in pre-season training. It seems his mind has been made up all along, and to wait till now to reveal he wants out is pretty poor form. Granted, it's a big decision for him to have made, but there are more interests than just his at stake here. Of course, now that he's made this decision we've also been treated to the usual saccharine speech about how he loves the club, and loves the fans and so on, but if this were true, you'd have at least thought he'd have had the decency to not leave them hanging.
    What makes you think his mind had been made up all along? Don't see any reason why he wouldn't have said so earlier if that was the case. And in any case, it would have been disruptive to mention it during the season and it's perfectly reasonable to want to concentrate on football until the end of the Euros. Arsenal's transfer activity suggests that those in the club already knew the ins and outs of the situation, it's not a problem just because he didn't make an announcement to the press sooner.

If he'd done it mid-season I reckon the fans would be even angrier. It's like ending a relationship- however you do it, the other half will find fault with how you did it.

Page 3 of 343 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information