• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2012-13

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What about a bicycle kick isn't "high" exactly? That seems to be your only problem with the tackle.

I'd respectfully disagree if you provided a better reason but your current one is pretty wide of the mark.
You're equating that last night with a bicycle kick? They're completely different in their nature. For a start the bicycle kick wouldn't have the same force behind it.

From where the ref was standing and getting only one view at it, that tackle by Nani was high and dangerous and it looks like he's run in at pace - it was my initial thought that it could be a red when the commentator mentioned he was going to be booked for it simply because of how it looked.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
When you see it from the side on, it does look a bit like he's left his foot in/made an attempt to follow through tbf. I do think he was initially just trying to bring the ball down, but I think the way his leg flicks out a bit at the end does look rather suspicious.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You're equating that last night with a bicycle kick? They're completely different in their nature. For a start the bicycle kick wouldn't have the same force behind it.
Of course it could. Matt Taylor was knocked unconscious by a Peter Crouch bicycle kick just a few weeks ago. Much more dangerous too- there's a reason the referee has to stop the game for head injuries. The worst that can happen to Arbeloa in that situation is that he breaks a rib and is out for a month, and even then, not once have I ever seen it happen.

It's not the first time a red card has been given for something like that; it happened twice in the West Ham-Everton game earlier this season (both were later rescinded). I don't think it has anything to do with an honest assessment of its danger. It's probably just that an airborne, studs-up, shin-high challenge is a widely accepted red card offence, and some referees infer that an airborne, studs-up, chest-high challenge should be too.

flibbertyjibber

If people think last nights red was harsh they should have seen last weeks for McAllister of Shrewsbury against Doncaster. Cost us the game and may be the difference between staying up and relegation.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
No, I didn't, read my post again. But yeah as Uppercut said, I don't know where you've got the idea behind the last sentence in this quote from anyway.

From where the ref was standing and getting only one view at it, that tackle by Nani was high and dangerous and it looks like he's run in at pace - it was my initial thought that it could be a red when the commentator mentioned he was going to be booked for it simply because of how it looked.
Whilst this is all true, that doesn't make it actually a red, only more understandable that a red was given. I don't have any particular gripe with the ref.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If people think last nights red was harsh they should have seen last weeks for McAllister of Shrewsbury against Doncaster. Cost us the game and may be the difference between staying up and relegation.
Makes up for Palmer being sawn off for us against you lot

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Cakir recent red cards:

Tonight: Nani

Dec 2012: Cahill (Chelsea) vs Corninthians
Fifa club world cup final

Sept 2012: Gerrard (England) vs Ukraina
FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Apr 2012: Terry (Chelsea) vs Barcelona
UCL Semi

March 2011: Balotelli (Man City) vs Dynamo Kiev
Europa League round of 16

Anyone see a pattern?
You sound like the people in the tabloid media who feel the need to mention the nationality of the referee whenever he makes a questionable decision against an English side.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not that I'm arguing either way, but Arbeloa's chest looked nasty afterwards, bleeding, bruising, etc.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Another great result for Chelsea then. Granted, it's come in a competition that I doubt they give a crap about, but it's amusing nonetheless.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
TBF, I think people forget the fact that despite their all-time fluke at winning the CL they actually came 6th last year. They're a good team, but not consistent anymore.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
They weren't particularly consistent last year either tbf. It was just a clever moveto save Drogba for all their crucial Champions League games.

Uppercut

They've also played more games than any other team, including their trip to the World Club thingy, and they have quite a small squad. Hopefully it'll show towards the end of the season, would hate them to get CL football next year.