• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My point was that it's a little absurd to not include many players (hb included one Australian but 3 Indians and an English man) from the most dominant team in the 40 years that ODI cricket has been running. And Warne was only in one successful world cup campaign. He also had Murali and Saqlain who were arguably superior than him.

My team has two controversial calls - Symonds as the all rounder and Gilly/Bevan over Jaya/Dhoni. Kluesener, Cairns, Kallis and Watson all could replace Symonds and Gilly+Bevan vs Jaya+Dhoni is a coin flip. But given they're the pinnacle of the sport, world cup results tip the balance.
Ikki iikes this post :D

I lost track of how many times Jono and Ikki would argue over this around 2010 or so.

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
SL have really punched above their weight when it comes to World Cups haven't they. Or is that just a lazy generalisation.
Not necessarily WCs,Sri Lankans have done well in ODIs,and have had lot of quality ODI players,Jayasinghe,Aravinda, Arjuna Murali Vaas who were WC winners,and subsequently likes of Marvan Sanga Mahela Dilshan who continued good form.

SL was the only side who could give the 05/6/7 AUS ODI teams a real scare,none of the other teams could actually do that

vcs

Aravinda's innings against us in the '96 SF is probably still the best sub-100 ODI knock I've ever seen. Sachin also played a gem against Aus in the same WC and then the famous one against Pakistan in '03.

bagapath

International Captain
For whatever reason, here is a team made up of non-WC winners

Gayle
Gibbs
Kallis
Lara
Pietersen
De Villiers +
Flintoff
S.Pollock
Saqlain
Waqar
Donald

rtramdas

U19 12th Man
My choices

1. Viv Richards -GOAT batsman & a useful bowler
2. Sachin Tendulkar - 2nd GOAT & a useful bowler
3 . Lance Klusener - best allrounder
4 .Kapil Dev - 2nd best allrounder
4. Curtley Ambrose - GOAT bowler
6 MS Dhoni - best wkt keeper batsman & a top finisher
7. Michael Bevan - brilliant finisher
8. Shaun Pollock - great allrounder
9. Glenn Mcgrath - great bowler
10 Sanath Jayasurya - great allrounder

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
And Symonds is amazingly over rated. He is nowhere close to any kind of AT ODI XIs.
I think he is, both national and international.

Brutal batsman, handy bowler, and legit the best ground fielder ever (or near enough to).

I dont think he's good enough as a sole 5th bowler at ATG level, but as 6th bowler or sharing the 5th bowling duties he's fine.

Red

Top ten is tough. But, here goes:

Garner
Wasim

Gilchrist
Dhoni

Viv
Kohli
Tendulkar
AB

Murali

Symonds

Zinzan

And Symonds is amazingly over rated. He is nowhere close to any kind of AT ODI XIs.
Aren't opinions great. I find it tough to decide between Flintoff, Symonds, Kapil or Kluesener as the all-rounder myself, probably leaning towards Flintoff.

Then again I really struggle with the opener to partner Gilchrist at the top, will probably give a slightly different all-time XI depending on the day of the week.

Zinzan

My choices

1. Viv Richards -GOAT batsman & a useful bowler
2. Sachin Tendulkar - 2nd GOAT & a useful bowler
3 . Lance Klusener - best allrounder
4 .Kapil Dev - 2nd best allrounder
4. Curtley Ambrose - GOAT bowler
6 MS Dhoni - best wkt keeper batsman & a top finisher
7. Michael Bevan - brilliant finisher
8. Shaun Pollock - great allrounder
9. Glenn Mcgrath - great bowler
10 Sanath Jayasurya - great allrounder
I find it interesting that arguably the 2nd and 3rd best ODI batsmen of all time after Viv, don't make your top 10. Obviously I refer to Kohli and AB who to me undoubtedly make up the 3 best ODI batsmen ever. Only problem I have is trying to rank the 3.

It's probably still Viv at 1, AB at 2 & Kohli at 3 for mine.

smash84

The Tiger King
I find it interesting that arguably the 2nd and 3rd best ODI batsmen of all time after Viv, don't make your top 10. Obviously I refer to Kohli and AB who to me undoubtedly make up the 3 best ODI batsmen ever. Only problem I have is trying to rank the 3.

It's probably still Viv at 1, AB at 2 & Kohli at 3 for mine.
and arguably the greatest odi bowler ever to play the game doesn't make his list.

Zinzan

But the players selected by him are truly great ODI players and don't look out of place.
Yeah, that is the bigger point, Someone earlier said there's no rational reason not to select Tendulkar in an ATG XI as an example. And I guess you could make that same argument for several players, but the fact remains almost all the top 10s or top XIs I've seen here look there or thereabouts & don't look too far off. All about personal preference when you get to the very top 10-20 players of all-time, & very often one's own countryman wins the on the close calls.

smash84

The Tiger King
Honestly not sure if you're referring to Joel Garner, Murali or Wasim there, but I'm guessing it's the latter.
actually i had been thinking of wasim, but you're right the same can be said of garner and murali.

Yeah, that is the bigger point, Someone earlier said there's no rational reason not to select Tendulkar in an ATG XI as an example. And I guess you could make that same argument for several players, but the fact remains almost all the top 10s or top XIs I've seen here look there or thereabouts & don't look too far off. All about personal preference when you get to the very top 10-20 players of all-time, & very often one's own countryman wins the on the close calls.
Ambrose doesn't belong in the list i think, and neither does Pollock

morgieb

Richards
Tendulkar
Garner
Wasim
Muralitharan
Kohli
McGrath
de Villiers
Bevan
Dhoni

Red

Things I struggle with in these sort of exercises is whether to have someone like AB DeVilliers or Kohli in my ten, who are both absolutely brilliant, or someone like Dean Jones, who bought together heaps of the skills we associate with modern greats in an earlier era. Aggression, smart batting, running between wickets, turning ones into twos and twos into threes, all that stuff.

Red

Can someone smarter with stats than me easily work out what the overall strike rate was for batsman batting 1-6 from each year since ODIs began?