• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

bagapath

International Captain
My list

1. Viv Richards
2. Wasim Akram
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Adam Gilchrist
5. M.S. Dhoni
6. AB De Villiers
7. Virat Kohli
8. Sanath Jayasuriya
9. Joel Garner
10. Michael Bevan

Gosh! That was tough. Am still unhappy that at least five names could not be squeezed in

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My list

1. Viv Richards
2. Wasim Akram
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Adam Gilchrist
5. M.S. Dhoni
6. AB De Villiers
7. Virat Kohli
8. Sanath Jayasuriya
9. Joel Garner
10. Michael Bevan

Gosh! That was tough. Am still unhappy that at least five names could not be squeezed in
Little batter heavy don't you think?

Zinzan

Mine in no order,

Viv Richards \
AB de Villers \
Virat Kohli \
M.S. Dhoni \ +
Adam Gilchrist \+
Joel Garner o
Muttiah Muralitharan o
Wasim Akram o
Andrew Flintoff \ o
Glenn McGrath o

Unlucky, Hadlee, S Pollock, Tendulkar, Jayasuriya, Bevan, Kluesner, Symonds, Kapil Dev, Bond, Vaas

aussie tragic

International Captain
My list

1. Viv Richards
2. Wasim Akram
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Adam Gilchrist
5. M.S. Dhoni
6. AB De Villiers
7. Virat Kohli
8. Sanath Jayasuriya
9. Joel Garner
10. Michael Bevan

Surely Dean Jones can fit in somewhere, maybe for Jayasuriya?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Many batsmen to add from last 10 years but no bowlers. Not sure what it means for bat and ball balance in our times.

Anyway my list:

1. Viv Richards
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Muttiah Muralitharan
4. Wasim Akram
5. MS Dhoni
6. Michael Bevan
7. Glenn McGrath
8. Virat Kohli
9. AB de Villiers
10. Joel Garner

My relative ranking may vary depending on the day but I don't think I will swap any of them out for anyone for next 2-3 years at least.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Little batter heavy don't you think?
unfortunately, yeah

but I wanted to list out the most impactful ODI cricketers, not necessarily build a team. if you write down ten batters or ten bowlers as your top ten i am fine with it too.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Many batsmen to add from last 10 years but no bowlers. Not sure what it means for bat and ball balance in our times.

Anyway my list:

1. Viv Richards
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Muttiah Muralitharan
4. Wasim Akram
5. MS Dhoni
6. Michael Bevan
7. Glenn McGrath
8. Virat Kohli
9. AB de Villiers
10. Joel Garner

My relative ranking may vary depending on the day but I don't think I will swap any of them out for anyone for next 2-3 years at least.
^ Add Watson or Jayasuriya to open and that will be my ATG XI. I used to find place for Dean Jones and Zaheer Abbas in that XI but won't be possible with AB and Kohli now.

Last edited:

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
Good names.

I'd however pick Pidgeon over Bevan,it's a close call between the two.

Jayaasuriya had a better impact in LOI cricket than any other.

I don't see Punter here,maybe Punter over AB.Punter was a very influential player in 50 overs cricket

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain

Anyway my list:

1. Viv Richards
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Muttiah Muralitharan
4. Wasim Akram
5. MS Dhoni
6. Michael Bevan
7. Glenn McGrath
8. Virat Kohli
9. AB de Villiers
10. Joel Garner

So no Jayasuriya?

For sure you are going by stats.

Jayasuriya easily fits in to the top 5 ODI players of all time.

I won't have Murali over there.

Punter was a very influential ODI player

randycricfreak

State Vice-Captain
1.Viv Richards
2.Sachin Tendulkar
3.Sanath Jayasinghe
4.Ricky Ponting
5.Glenn McGrath
6.Wasim Akram
7.M.Bevan
8.MSD
9.Gilly
10.Garner

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Were those 3 really ATG ODI players?
I rate them very highly as one dayer players. Both Sehwag and Afridi for instance have the 4th and 5th most runs in that format respectively however with a higher strike rate than the top three.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
It's interesting with the vast differences in rules that each of the eras have faced, that Viv's stats still stack up so highly 30 years later.
Fielding at its highest level is such a massive part of international cricket that guys like Mark Waugh, Ponting and Symonds should go close to the top ten.

Zinzan

So no Jayasuriya?

For sure you are going by stats.

Jayasuriya easily fits in to the top 5 ODI players of all time.

I won't have Murali over there.

Punter was a very influential ODI player
Jayasuriya was great, and a revolutionary type ODI player, but nowhere near the top 5 for me.

There's no way he 's ahead of, AB de Villiers, Kohli, Viv, Garner, & Wasim to name a few/

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Jayasuriya was great, and a revolutionary type ODI player, but nowhere near the top 5 for me.

There's no way he 's ahead of, AB de Villiers, Kohli, Viv, Garner, & Wasim to name a few/
AB, Kohli and Viv don't have 323 ODI wickets though. In fact, neither does Joel Garner. :ph34r:

Top 10 ODI batsmen? Prboably not, but he was a package player. Explosive opener, tight and effective spinner at times, and electric fielder. As far as players go, not batsman, bowler, etc. he'd be top ten for mine.

Zinzan

AB, Kohli and Viv don't have 323 ODI wickets though. In fact, neither does Joel Garner. :ph34r:

Top 10 ODI batsmen? Prboably not, but he was a package player. Explosive opener, tight and effective spinner at times, and electric fielder. As far as players go, not batsman, bowler, etc. he'd be top ten for mine.
Maybe he would force his way into my top 10 thinking about it, his bowling was more than handy as the Indian's of 1996 will testify to. But nowhere near the top 5 for mine.