• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top Ten ODI cricketers of All Time

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And my ATG ODI XI...

Sachin
Sanath
Viv
Virat
AB
MSD (wk)
Flintoff
Wasim
Warne
Garner
Murali
Gilchrist+
Anwar
Viv
Virat
AB
Symonds 6
Flintoff 4
Pollock 3
Wasim 2
Murali 5
Garner 1

Choose Pollock over McGrath for his batting.

Zinzan

Anwar over sachin is a poor call, Sachin is easily the best ODI opener ever.
Isn't having one's own opinion a great thing ;)

To be honest, I was tossing up between Anwar & Jayasuriya to partner Gilchrist.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
So no Jayasuriya?

For sure you are going by stats.

Jayasuriya easily fits in to the top 5 ODI players of all time.

I won't have Murali over there.

Punter was a very influential ODI player
Ruthless consistency over flashes of brilliance (relatively speaking). You get solid cricketing stats by playing good cricket, not by playing golf. And 10 is a small number. Can't fit 20 players in top 10.

Last edited:

srbhkshk

International Captain
Anwar was one of my personal favourites, so that could have affected my decision slightly, & Jayasuriya is just.....well you know, one of a kind.
Yes of course, they are both great players without any doubt. But honestly if you wanna fit them they take the place of Gilly, not Sachin.

OverratedSanity

There's no rational reason not to pick Sachin tbh.

Openers usually fall into either one of the two: the destructive but slightly inconsistent type like Gilchrist,Jayasuriya, Sehwag, etc, or the run machines who produce loads of runs but aren't as destructive, like M Waugh, Anwar, Haynes, Amla. Tendulkar, for a large part of his career was both.

Zinzan

There's no rational reason not to pick Sachin tbh.
I won't critique this, because I do the same with Hadlee in all-time Test XIs & a few others of my personal favs. I can't believe others don't view him as the 2nd greatest pace bowler after Marshall,

Daemon

I rate them very highly as one dayer players. Both Sehwag and Afridi for instance have the 4th and 5th most runs in that format respectively however with a higher strike rate than the top three.
I'm sorry what?

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
Daemon is from Singapore.
Sorry. I have Aussies acting like total ****s in the Aus/Pak thread.

In reply, I rate Sehwag and the other chaps on my list as my favourite od team. I'm perfectly entitled to form my own top ten as much as anybody.

Daemon

Sorry. I have Aussies acting like total ****s in the Aus/Pak thread.

In reply, I rate Sehwag and the other chaps on my list as my favourite od team. I'm perfectly entitled to form my own top ten as much as anybody.
I don't mind you picking them in your list even if I disagree, but they're not the 4th and 5th highest run scorers in ODIs, far from it.