• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players who had a fitting end to their career

aussie tragic

International Captain
After scoring only 15 runs in his previous two Tests vs Pakistan, Greg Chappell announced his retirement before he batted in the last Test of the series. This meant he had 6928 runs with another 68 runs required in his last Test to go past Bradman as leading run scorer for Australia.

He batted once making 182 which also meant he became one of the few to score a century in first and last Test. He also took 2 catches to break the then world record for number of career catches.

5th Test: Australia v Pakistan at Sydney, Jan 2-6, 1984 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly my point. But he made it slightly better by playing evry shot in his repertoire once.
Yeah when he drove the ball past mid on to bring up his 50 and then paddled one to fine leg it gave me goosebumps. Was so good.

Howsie

International Captain
Shane Bond

Eight wickets, 150k plus bowling, won NZ the game on the last day. Broke his foot in doing so, retired the next day :(

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
BCL.. think scored an incredible hundred with lil support from rest of the batsmen in a losing cause in his last test??

OverratedSanity

He got an amazing double in his last series (smashed kaneria to smithereens) but didn't get many in his last test iirc.

He was runout in his last odi in the 07 wc. Screwed over by Marlon Samuels.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Shane Bond

Eight wickets, 150k plus bowling, won NZ the game on the last day. Broke his foot in doing so, retired the next day :(
I don't think there's a better answer than this one. You look back on Shane Bond's bowling numbers in all formats and it's just insane.

Zinzan

I don't think there's a better answer than this one. You look back on Shane Bond's bowling numbers in all formats and it's just insane.
You had me do something I rarely do, which is to look at statguru's combined Test/ODI/T20 numbers of bowlers since 1970 who've taken more than 100 wickets by average.

It's staggering that Bond is 2nd only to Garner, considering the ODI era he played in wasn't nearly as conducive to low averages as the 70s,80s & even 90s were.

:blink: and dat SR of 31 is just insane....

Last edited: