• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in Sri Lanka 2015

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I can't help but think that we have too many young batsmen debuting at the same time. I think Shai Hope is extremely talented but the evidence so far is that he isn't ready yet. We desperately need some experience IMHO, even if they're quite ordinary like Lendl Simmons, Kieron Pollard etc. If anything, I actually think that Shane Dowrich looked the more likely of the two at this level against Australia.

This is too much too soon for these youngsters and they simply aren't ready for facing the likes of Herath. What's worse is that the two senior batsmen in Bravo and Samuels are hardly role models for them in that they are supremely talented under-achievers, not hard working grafters.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
On Shai Hope's dismissal today - it was pathetic technique really. It's not a crime to play against the spin, at least I don't think so. I've seen some great players making many runs hitting against the spin. But when you're hitting against the spin, at least try to have your head over the ball. When the ball is spinning way past the off-stump don't plant that front foot outside leg, put it on the off-stump and then try to hit the ball against the spin with a flick of wrist if you fancy.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I can't help but think that we have too many young batsmen debuting at the same time. I think Shai Hope is extremely talented but the evidence so far is that he isn't ready yet. We desperately need some experience IMHO, even if they're quite ordinary like Lendl Simmons, Kieron Pollard etc. If anything, I actually think that Shane Dowrich looked the more likely of the two at this level against Australia.

This is too much too soon for these youngsters and they simply aren't ready for facing the likes of Herath. What's worse is that the two senior batsmen in Bravo and Samuels are hardly role models for them in that they are supremely talented under-achievers, not hard working grafters.
Does Shiv Chanderpaul ring a bell?

YorksLanka

International Debutant
are pollard and Dwayne bravo injured or are they out due to the board disputes? a team with those two plus chanderpaul and badree would make the WIndies much stronger imo

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd play Pollard and Russell just to add a bit of backbone. Yes they might fail, but the Windies lack genuine all-rounders

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd play Pollard and Russell just to add a bit of backbone. Yes they might fail, but the Windies lack genuine all-rounders
Pollard is a crap batsman and a crap bowler in test cricket. But there is merit about senior Bravo and Chanders.

viriya

International Captain
Damn I just saw that Bravo catch by Chandimal... reminded me of Mahanama back in those days.

viriya

International Captain
We've got this all wrong so far. We played 4 pacers on a spinners pitch when our frontline spinner was hopelessly undercooked having played no serious cricket for ages. You could tell that Bishoo got better the more he bowled and at the end of the SL innings looked more like the class leggie we know he is.

What I find really upsetting is apart from Herath, these Sri Lankan bowlers are pretty unimpressive. I think Taylor and Roach were far better then their Sri Lankan counterparts for example, but we are being absolutely thrashed because our batsmen are truly dire. If they can't score runs in this series against this attack, I really fear for our future tbh.
While I do agree that Taylor and Roach are slightly better, I think you are underrating Prasad a bit.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That Samuels dismissal was horrible.

Keen for a good Bravo+Blackwood partnership here.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Another dreadful batting display full of dreadful shots and zero application. What hurts me the most is that a Sri Lankan team which is clearly in transition themselves and without a single pacer worthy of the name barely broke sweat to thrash us comprehensively. Imagine our current crop if they'd come up against Vaas and Murali? I dread to think.

I could talk about selection, playing 4 pacers on this pitch etc but the reality is our batting line up is full of youngsters who are either not ready or are learning the ropes. Our two senior batsmen are completely unreliable too. Brilliant one series, awful the next.

I've literally been reduced to enjoying individual performances like Blackwoods today or Bishoo and Taylor against Australia. I never once thought we could fight back as a team when Sri Lanka got in front.

I guess this is what happens when every step forward is followed by administrative suicide from self serving, pompous disgraces like Dave Cameron (WICB not a Tory!). We have no experience to turn too and just when it looked like Phil Simmons might be getting through to them and at least creating a team culture and worth ethic, the WICB struck.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Another dreadful batting display full of dreadful shots and zero application. What hurts me the most is that a Sri Lankan team which is clearly in transition themselves and without a single pacer worthy of the name barely broke sweat to thrash us comprehensively. Imagine our current crop if they'd come up against Vaas and Murali? I dread to think.

I could talk about selection, playing 4 pacers on this pitch etc but the reality is our batting line up is full of youngsters who are either not ready or are learning the ropes. Our two senior batsmen are completely unreliable too. Brilliant one series, awful the next.

I've literally been reduced to enjoying individual performances like Blackwoods today or Bishoo and Taylor against Australia. I never once thought we could fight back as a team when Sri Lanka got in front.

I guess this is what happens when every step forward is followed by administrative suicide from self serving, pompous disgraces like Dave Cameron (WICB not a Tory!). We have no experience to turn too and just when it looked like Phil Simmons might be getting through to them and at least creating a team culture and worth ethic, the WICB struck.
you are right in that we have no world class bowlers in the pace department however Prasad and Pradeep bowled well imo.They bowled consistent lines and showed good variations in length also. They certainly don't have the pace of the WIndies pace bowlers but to write them off is unfair. Pradeep and Chameera can consistently bowl at 140 KPH + and so all is not lost for us in terms of the stocks- they need to improve their fitness and also their experience at the top level. Add in Eranga, and Lakmal (if and when they ever get fit) and it looks ok..Dont forget spin always has been and always will be our strength in terms of bowling)
Well done to Sri Lanka on a good victory after losing two consecutive series at home. As usual Herath was his usual self with fantastic patience, variations and skill. I was very disappointed with Kaushal who bowled far too short and ensuring his action was legal was clearly weighing on his mind(which is should always be) but he should have been given time to practice and adjust before being rushed back to top level cricket IMO).

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wtf happened to Eranga and Wrlegedera? I ask this every few months and someone always responds saying they're injured. How are they always ****ing injured ffs.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Agree mostly. But not on the stuff about the lankan pacers. Dhammika has been genuinely top class this year.