• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Was Stokes Out?

Was Stokes out?

• Yes

Votes: 47 65.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • That bloke from emmerdale

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

vandem

International 12th Man
Interesting that some news reports say that the 3rd umpire didn't see real-time footage, only slo-mo. I've watched both real speed and slo-mo, and in real speed it appears very much that Stokes if lifting his hand to protect his head AND throwing his head back at the same time.

From the Guardian: "An obvious flaw in the process is that the only replays viewed by the third umpire were in slow motion, which distorts the action. This was a freak incident and it felt like the wrong decision."

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Never out in a month of Sundays. An absolutely crap decision from the 3rd umpire, who should be stood down immediately.

cover drive man

International Captain
I've always hated seeing people throw the ball afterwards. Mainly because nine times out of ten it seems they're just being a prick.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I said in the tour thread, Stokes was out & although I don't think Smith can be blamed or was entitled in any way to recall the batsman, I do wonder if the likes of McCullum, de Villiers, Holder & Mathews would have reacted differently as skipper. Of course we'll never know.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I've always hated seeing people throw the ball afterwards. Mainly because nine times out of ten it seems they're just being a prick.
Not sure this is relevant here. Stokes was a mile out of his crease. What was Starc meant to do, give him a friendly warning?

And Morgan can shut his ****ing Pommy trap as well. Let the umpires make a decision. It was reviewed and seen to be out. Move on.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Can't actually believe people saying Smith should've called him back.

Here's the process as it happened.

Starc bowls
Stokes plays it back
Stokes comes well out of his crease
Starc fields and throws
Intentionally or not, Stokes knocks away the throw with his hand (and it may have hit the stumps and run him out)
Starc appeals, which he's well within his rights to do
Field umpires aren't sure, send up a review
Third umpire says yeh, there's enough evidence to give it out obstructing the field
Nek minnit, Smith is portrayed as a **** or at very least "unsportsmanlike" for not recalling Stokes

Plz

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So obvious that the on field umpire gave it as not out.
tbh Dharmasena is a shocker of an umpire so true to form

I would never say that was intentional cheating from Stokes, but that's out any day of the week.
Yeah, Stokes doesn't deserve to be ostracized or attacked for cheating IMO, but he probably should have walked and given how much the aussies complained about Broad not walking last Ashes I can imagine how annoying they would be if they lost this game after Stokes didn't walk.

Morgan should make some form of apology for his behaviour. Other than that we can all move on.

TumTum

Banned
I think both arguments here are incorrect. He wasn't trying to deliberately block the ball and he wasn't instinctively trying to protect himself.

In my opinion he was instinctively trying to protect the stumps. For 3 reasons:
1. Like has been said you don't have time to think and make a deliberate action.
2. If he is trying to protect himself, why reach for the ball that's far behind you.
3. He was diving back to the crease at the same time, so he wasn't just trying to protect himself.

Stokes is a pretty talented guy so I think he was instinctively trying to protect his wicket.