• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Trent Boult eclipse Tim Southee by the end of their careers?

Boult or Southee - who remembered as greater?

• Trent Boult

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Tim Southee

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Matt Henry

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
?

Trent Boult is already ranked 4th in the world in Tests, and he's not getting any less dangerous with the ball. In fact, he seems to get more lethal with every series. Southee hasn't been at his best for a while. For him to be better than Boult again, Southee will have to push on up into the Steyn/Johnson/Harris class of danger.

Who will be remembered as greater by the time they retire?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think most of recognise that at this stage in their careers Boult is better and I don't think anyone expects Southee will ever surpass his patch after 2012. Gotta be Boult. But I think the partnership will be remembered most fondly of all.

?

Trent Boult is already ranked 4th in the world in Tests, and he's not getting any less dangerous with the ball. In fact, he seems to get more lethal with every series. Southee hasn't been at his best for a while. For him to be better than Boult again, Southee will have to push on up into the Steyn/Johnson/Harris class of danger.

Who will be remembered as greater by the time they retire?
I love the absolute optimism that Boult will stay as good or get better and not get injured neither to boot.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think Boult has the potential to end up with the 2nd best career among all NZ bowlers ever.

Last edited:

Gob

International Coach
he is already better. i said this once that boult would take the mantle from steyn as the WPFB in couple of years time. southee is bit hot and cold for me

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
They're pretty much dead equal if you take into account that Boult didn't have his stats wrecked by being picked three years too early. Boult maybe just edging ahead due to his ability to bowl equally well to left and right handers while Southee struggles slightly with the lefties.

Saint Kopite

First Class Debutant
Boulty.

Think Boult has the ability and talent to take the mantle from Steyn as the next greatest pace bowler of the next generation.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't want to sound too deprecating, but I think Southee's record is not really one somebody of Boult's ability would think of "eclipsing". I think someone as good as Boult would be hoping a passing high cloud in his career would block out Southee's record which, let's be honest, isn't exactly challenging Sir Richard Hadlee's, is it?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Still can't help but feel that Southee has more tools than Boult and should have the better career. But I also have this sense that Boult has the far superior work ethic from a few things I've read, and that could well be the decisive factor. Boult definitely ahead ATM, but we won't even be able to start answering this question for at least another 5 years.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hopefully you're right and they each have long and good careers which we can mull over for years. Nothing worse than potentially fine players being curtailed by injury.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Southee is better than boult recent form notwithstanding. Southee will finish as the better bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
boult will definitely be ranked higher by the spreadsheet brigade regardless because southee spent four years in and out of the side being a terrible teenage to early twenties bowler. he'll never get his average down to a point where it reflects his quality.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I'd like them to be like un-synchronised row-boats at level pegging, changing who is ahead with each stroke (game) rather than one eclipsing the other to be 'number 1'; at the same time, I don't want Boult to be recognised as the perennial support act to Southee simply because he debuted later and Southee had some success before him. I think we should reassess once Boult's been to Australia and South Africa for a second time.

Actually, tbh, I just hope they've recorded down everything Bond has coached them and build on that, now he's no longer bowling coach. He sparked a noticeable improvement in Southee and I fear they might lose their way a bit\. No offence to Dimi.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'd like them to be like un-synchronised row-boats at level pegging, changing who is ahead with each stroke (game) rather than one eclipsing the other to be 'number 1'; at the same time, I don't want Boult to be recognised as the perennial support act to Southee simply because he debuted later and Southee had some success before him. I think we should reassess once Boult's been to Australia and South Africa for a second time.

Actually, tbh, I just hope they've recorded down everything Bond has coached them and build on that, now he's no longer bowling coach. He sparked a noticeable improvement in Southee and I fear they might lose their way a bit\. No offence to Dimi.
This.

The reason I asked this question was because Southee was described as the senior bowler in the tour to England and I wondered what, if anything, Boult could/would have to do to supplant him.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
He's senior simply because he's played more and has IIRC toured everywhere at least twice (not 100% on this).