• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Amla or De Villiers?

Who?

• Amla

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • De Villiers

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Chris Martin

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

jan

State Vice-Captain
As far as test batting is concerned I would lean towards Amla.
But ABDV surely a better skipper. No beard, no captaincy for him sadly :/

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I probably prefer de Villiers these days tbh. Really did it for me when Johnson was running riot in the early stages of the series earlier in the year.
Yeah that was so good. deVillers is the ultimate modern batsman really but I will always prefer Amla. I was there for his 300 he and Kallis made batting look easier than I have ever seen it, with exception of John Crawley against Cardiff University.

watson

Banned
Amla's big stride across the crease as the ball is being bowled is pretty ugly, and a technical flaw I reckon. A quality attack should be able to tie him in knots after a bit of thought and planning.

So ABdV by a comfortable distance.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
can't definitely say who's the better batsman at this stage but AB de Villiers

1. shortlisted for Jr national hockey squad,
2. shortlisted for Jr national football squad,
3. was Captain of South Africa Jr rugby,
4. holds six south africa school swimming records,
5. has fastest 100 mtr time in South Africa junior athletics,
6. was a member of South Africa Jr Davis Cup tennis team,
7. was National Badminton U-19 champion.

..so it's safe to say that there's only one thing where Amla can compete with AB

Last edited:

YorksLanka

International Debutant
difficult for me to choose as AB is the much more attacking of the two and can change games whereas Amla is the better of the two in terms of conversions..both fantastic but i will go AB-just
and ftr, Chris Martin smashes both of them in terms of his singing and song writing...:ph34r:

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Amla because 5 is too low to be a top order batsman and will always rate a top order player higher unless the other bloke is insanely good like Clarke was for a number of years.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love both, both totally different but I guess the free strokeplay of AB is better on the eye. Not saying Amla isn't but AB just beats him on that front for me.

MrPrez

International Debutant
can't definitely say who's the better batsman at this stage but AB de Villiers

1. shortlisted for Jr national hockey squad,
2. shortlisted for Jr national football squad,
3. was Captain of South Africa Jr rugby,
4. holds six south africa school swimming records,
5. has fastest 100 mtr time in South Africa junior athletics,
6. was a member of South Africa Jr Davis Cup tennis team,
7. was National Badminton U-19 champion.

..so it's safe to say that there's only one thing where Amla can compete with AB
I'm almost certain this isn't all true. Badminton one is from memory, and possibly tennis. But I don't believe all of the others are true - he certainly wasn't captain of the baby boks.

That said, he certainly was a sports talent in general.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'm almost certain this isn't all true. Badminton one is from memory, and possibly tennis. But I don't believe all of the others are true - he certainly wasn't captain of the baby boks.

That said, he certainly was a sports talent in general.
should be a decathlete or something.

dogwalker

U19 Captain
Incredible from Prasad, so soulful.

Brett Lee has to also come into this conversation. Until Amla releases an ambient thrash-metal album he just can't be considered.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
AB for me. The more aggressive player. ABD can play so many shots so non chalantly and is so sound technically still. Is the best batsman right now. Love to watch him bat.