• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Steve Smith vs Angelo Mathews

Better test batsman?

• Total voters

indiaholic

International Captain
I am perfectly fine with that too, but I do think his mean is higher. Just that the average may not be showing a complete picture.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looked a class apart when we toured there last year. I think he hasn't been that productive since then.

Bijed

International Regular
Looking at his Cricinfo graph, it looks like a genuine dip/decline in form and not just a lack of not-outs to make his average look better. His low scores are generally single figures rather than getting out after a bit of start, whereas at the start of his career there was a mix and in the middle he was more often getting 15+ (obviously not exactly a great score, but a load of 15-20s will keep your average an appreciable bit higher than a load of 0-10s).

there shouldn't really have be a massive difference for him moving from 6 to 5. Maybe he is actually just getting more ****e and reverting to his mean
Without wishing to derail the thread or start an argument, but I'm not sure that's an appropriate concept (not the word I'm looking for) in this case and often not in general. How can you differentiate between a 'reversion to the mean' or a dip in form (lets not go into whether it exists or not) until sometime after the event. I mean, if he struggles from this point in his career onwards, his recent form will be seen as the former and if he averages 50 it'll be seen as the latter.

It makes more sense with someone like Voges who's had a short-ish test career but a long enough first-class career for people to say with some confidence that averaging 95 is anomalous and even that the 60-odd he averages now is higher than it 'should' be, but nearly 2/3 of Mathews' first-class matches have been tests.

That's not to say that I don't think he's genuinely getting worse (though I'm not really sure)

Last edited:

viriya

International Captain
Angelo is 29 and should be hitting his peak soon so it's concerning that he has been below his best in the last year or so. Hopefully he stays injury-free and gets back to his best version.

indiaholic

International Captain
Yeah me too. Excellent player to watch. Has there been a pattern to his low scores? Getting out in the same way or some such?

smash84

The Tiger King
Looking at his Cricinfo graph, it looks like a genuine dip/decline in form and not just a lack of not-outs to make his average look better. His low scores are generally single figures rather than getting out after a bit of start, whereas at the start of his career there was a mix and in the middle he was more often getting 15+ (obviously not exactly a great score, but a load of 15-20s will keep your average an appreciable bit higher than a load of 0-10s).

Without wishing to derail the thread or start an argument, but I'm not sure that's an appropriate concept (not the word I'm looking for) in this case and often not in general. How can you differentiate between a 'reversion to the mean' or a dip in form (lets not go into whether it exists or not) until sometime after the event. I mean, if he struggles from this point in his career onwards, his recent form will be seen as the former and if he averages 50 it'll be seen as the latter.

It makes more sense with someone like Voges who's had a short-ish test career but a long enough first-class career for people to say with some confidence that averaging 95 is anomalous and even that the 60-odd he averages now is higher than it 'should' be, but nearly 2/3 of Mathews' first-class matches have been tests.

That's not to say that I don't think he's genuinely getting worse (though I'm not really sure)
I don't necessarily disagree. Which is why i said 'maybe". It's hard to put my finger on it but he has always come across to me as someone who was on shaky grounds. Kind of like Sehwag (i know that is an extreme example but that's what comes in my mind. Obviously technically he is nowhere near as bad as Sehwag) which is why i think his mean is lower and his average will get there once he is "exposed". Does that make sense?

Bijed

International Regular
I don't necessarily disagree. Which is why i said 'maybe". It's hard to put my finger on it but he has always come across to me as someone who was on shaky grounds. Kind of like Sehwag (i know that is an extreme example but that's what comes in my mind. Obviously technically he is nowhere near as bad as Sehwag) which is why i think his mean is lower and his average will get there once he is "exposed". Does that make sense?
Yeah, your assessment seems pretty reasonable and you've probably seen far more of him that I have so will have a much better impression of him. Sorry if it came across as a jab at you, it wasn't meant to. It's more that that phrase gets used quite often and I've always thought it's used incorrectly/carelessly quite a lot so have wanted to go on a bit of a rant about it for a while and just chose now to do so.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, your assessment seems pretty reasonable and you've probably seen far more of him that I have so will have a much better impression of him. Sorry if it came across as a jab at you, it wasn't meant to. It's more that that phrase gets used quite often and I've always thought it's used incorrectly/carelessly quite a lot so have wanted to go on a bit of a rant about it for a while and just chose now to do so.
Haha. That's cool.

TheJediBrah

Funny to look back just a couple of years and there were not only people who thought Matthews and Smith were similar, but that actually rated Matthews higher.

Zinzan

Matthews easily the better batsman. He's head and shoulders above all of the other young Turks imo.
Wow, isn't hindsight a lovely thing.

FTR, I never rated Mathews as some did here a couple of years back when we were hearing how he was the best player of swing in the world.

The fact he's fallen off the pace compared with the Roots, Smiths & Kohlis of this world hasn't surprised me in the slightest.

Daemon

FTR, I never rated Mathews as some did here a couple of years back when we were hearing how he was the best player of swing in the world.

The fact he's fallen off the pace compared with the Roots, Smiths & Kohlis of this world hasn't surprised me in the slightest.
Yeah it's bit like how people say Rahane is better than Kohli or whatever. I mean the dude is a gun but he's clearly not at their level.

tbf at the time of this thread I think they had pretty comparable records.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Did you leave someone out deliberately?

Zinzan

Fair call, Warner's also been better than Mathews in the last couple of years.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With a name like Angelo Mathews I can't get the image of 1970s US police dramas out of my head - Steve Smith on the other hand just sounds like a regular bloke, albeit one who's a bit special with a bat in his hand