• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal vs Herath

The better bowler

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
23 wickets @ 15.13 in a two test match series (or in a series where a bowler play only two tests) - New world record beating Murali's 22 wickets @ 18.04 against the Saffers in 2006.

Well done, Rangana. You the man.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Nice, but Herath's last two series' against SA (recently at home and away in 2011/12) were both quite impressive IMO, wouldn't call them particularly good players of spin compared to Australia or Pakistan either. I don't really support the idea of Herath 'fading' either, his best year was arguably 2012, three years after he was recalled to the test team and his recent series against SA suggests he is still near the height of his powers
Since when are Pakistan good players of spin?

adub

International Captain
Yeah love me some Herath. Would be good to go back to his place for a curry too I bet.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah love me some Herath. Would be good to go back to his place for a curry too I bet.
He does seem like one of those guys whose wife makes the nicest homemade food in the world. He probably has 3.5 incredibly cute kids and plays harmonica to a reasonable standard too.

viriya

International Captain
Herath in the discussion for best left arm spinner of all time imo. Highest wkts/match of anyone with over 125 wickets by a big margin (4.5, closest is Bedi with 4/mat), most 5 wkt hauls of anyone already after only 57 tests, and best bowling average/(wkts/mat) ratio of anyone with over 125 wickets (Verity closest 2nd).

Admittedly this is partly due to SL's bowling resources being rather thin, but all this makes him at least part of the discussion, with Verity, Lock, Bedi and Underwood I would say (ignoring the pre-1914 tweakers Peel, Blythe and Briggs).

Last edited:

a massive zebra

International Captain
After 57 Tests, Shane Warne had taken 260 wickets with a strike rate of 63.

After 57 Tests, Rangana Herath has taken 260 wickets with a strike rate of 63.

Yes, the DRS system gives contemporary bowlers an advantage on LBW calls that Mr Warne did not enjoy; yes, Mr Herath plays more than half his matches in the subcontinent; yes, Mr Warne's bowling average was better; and yes, the standard of Test cricket was probably higher in the 1990s. But I still thought it was an interesting stat nonetheless.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Warne intimidated umpires to get calls in favor of him. Spinners who take the ball away from batsmen I would say, has not benefited much from the DRS compared to ones who spin it in to them. Murali's and Saqlains would have got much more wickets if DRS was there because pad play and kicking was a way of playing them, which was utterly dangerous against Warne.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Herath in the discussion for best left arm spinner of all time imo. Highest wkts/match of anyone with over 125 wickets by a big margin (4.5, closest is Bedi with 4/mat), most 5 wkt hauls of anyone already after only 57 tests, and best bowling average/(wkts/mat) ratio of anyone with over 125 wickets (Verity closest 2nd).

Admittedly this is partly due to SL's bowling resources being rather thin, but all this makes him at least part of the discussion, with Verity, Lock, Bedi and Underwood I would say (ignoring the pre-1914 tweakers Peel, Blythe and Briggs).
Underwood is the best for me.

:in before Bradman fanatics:

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
So where is the OP debate at? Previous doubters have a good chance to make a man of themselves here

Riggins

International Captain
Warne intimidated umpires to get calls in favor of him. Spinners who take the ball away from batsmen I would say, has not benefited much from the DRS compared to ones who spin it in to them. Murali's and Saqlains would have got much more wickets if DRS was there because pad play and kicking was a way of playing them, which was utterly dangerous against Warne.
Nah.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne intimidated umpires to get calls in favor of him. Spinners who take the ball away from batsmen I would say, has not benefited much from the DRS compared to ones who spin it in to them.
Nah, for spinners who naturally spin it away, the killer ball is the straighter one for the lbw/bowled. Herath's arm ball has benefitted from drs, certainly.