• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scathing article by Vaughan on Trott

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Vaughan was only being an English version of Shastri. Shastri and Gavaskar spouted so much garbage before the series that Flintoff and Vaughan were just giving it back later on. The fact that Indian fans didn't like it made it funnier for the rest of us.
Sorry that's nonsense, why because Shastri and Gavaskar have been a terribly disgraceful version of commentators, since they've sold out, there's no reason there's any reason to react to it, in an equally pathetic manner. It's not just about keeping a moral high-ground, it's about trying to put the issues of cricket in perspective, and not having it drag into a pathetic puerile dialogue.

Vaughan being the opposite of those sell-outs, really can't be a good thing can it?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SEN asking whether Trott should ever be allowed to play for England again.

Tim Watson calling Trott a coward.

Oh man this is getting horrible over here.
Going to call in to Tim Watson's show on SEN and ask him how he feels tbh. His comments were a disgrace whether or not Trott has depression. They look even more ****ish now.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
I'd love to say vice versa in relation to Fre'ds post but I find it hard to have a problem with Chapple who's the only Yorkshire originating Lancastrian I can think of.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I'd love to say vice versa in relation to Fre'ds post but I find it hard to have a problem with Chapple who's the only Yorkshire originating Lancastrian I can think of.

Not sure whether Keedy qualifies? Chilton was born in Sheffield as well. Neither would be very objectionable though.

uvelocity

International Coach
jono copping it here. a retraction or apology is not going to do. gonna have to resign as botm champ im afraid.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I recall him being praised back during that 2011 series but again, if that was just because almost every Indian and Englishman on here turned disgustingly agro for 3 months and Vaughan then temporarily became a hero for his ****ty tweets fair enough.
Hang on, I still thought Vaughan was a **** despite my ****ish tendencies during summer 2011.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Jonathan Trott may need to alter his approach to the game now that he has admitted he has a problem - Telegraph

Article nearly a week old. It's Pringle so take it any way you want but he's normally well informed if not a bit of a ****.

'In Trott’s case the ECB cautioned him against doing his TV interview with Sky, suggesting it would be better to make a low-key return with his county. '

'But Trott has a Benefit Year to plug as well as a new sponsor’s deal to highlight (he wore the company’s shirt during the interview) and the opportunity proved too enticing for him and James McLaughlin, his agent.'

'Others also cautioned him against doing it. Indeed, such was the concern that Trott was rushing matters that Norman Gascoigne, Warwickshire’s chairman, suggested he delay his benefit until next season, using this one to get himself better. '

Some other stuff in there if you want to read it.

You can criticize the ECB for lots but I really don't see the interview as their fault. Rather Trott was determined to get back doing the only thing he has ever done- and as a result probably rushed or ignored his recovery. And I'm assuming that the ECB can consult with Trotts shrink or whoever he was getting treatment from because of patient confidentiality and so even if the consultant knew that Trott was likely to relapse they couldn't share that with the ecb.

grecian

He's their employee they could have stopped him, cautioning, what does that mean.

Heaping all the blame on Trott that'll help.

The ECB covering themselves with a leak to a pet journo, yet again.

Last edited:

theegyptian

Correct me if I'm wrong but were you not one of the people on here who were all for Trott coming back into the team at the first opportunity?

theegyptian

You can advise all you want but there has to come a point where the decision has to be left to the individual. It’s their career and their life. Trott was headstrong in his desire to play cricket again and possibly ignored his problems but that was his decision. Short of him being in a pysch ward and being mentally incapable it surely is the job of the ecb to advise but ultimately support the decision he makes. Just like you the ECB probably thought if he wants to be back on the cricket field we shouldn't block it unless there is definite evidence that he can't handle the situation.

grecian

You can advise all you want but there has to come a point where the decision has to be left to the individual. It’s their career and their life. Trott was headstrong in his desire to play cricket again and possibly ignored his problems but that was his decision. Short of him being in a pysch ward and being mentally incapable it surely is the job of the ecb to advise but ultimately support the decision he makes. Just like you the ECB probably thought if he wants to be back on the cricket field we shouldn't block it unless there is definite evidence that he can't handle the situation.
Well, I didn't know him personally, and I bought the ECB nonsense about it just being fatigue, hence why I wanted him back, this seems to be the start of the gross mismanagement to me. Without going on and on with the same point, but the ECB have a duty of care to their employees, they're now saying they weren't happy with him doing the interview. Well then tell him not to do it, for his own good. Again it totally mirrored Tres' interview, they learnt nothing, and IMHO they're negligent fools.

the big bambino

International Captain
How refreshing to read that the individual is responsible for a change and not his employer. It is right its not the ECB's fault. Can you imagine if it intervened and stopped someone from speaking? That would be the outrage. No employer should be responsible to an employee to that extent. As for Vaughan and his so called "insensitivity" well what else is supposed to do? It is Trott who is responsible for his own illness. It isn't anyone's obligation to moderate their reasonable behaviour to account for it.

So far I've heard that an employer should stop someone from speaking. That isn't reasonable. Or that Vaughan shouldn't do what he's paid to do. That isn't reasonable either. Trott should just keep quiet and get the help he needs.