• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Bangladesh & Sri Lanka 2013

Flem274*

123/5
Ronchi looks so average on the front foot today. He's not getting much strike and hasn't faced many balls so it's not easy for him to get past his nervy starts, but that angled bat coming in from the side rather than straight through is going to get him in trouble anywhere in the order until he gets in by the looks of things.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Great batting. I thought Munro was excellent and Latham looked very good.

If I could nitpick Rossco's innings, I'd say that he'd really benefit from adding a reverse sweep to his arsenal. Still, he played a fantastic knock.

Flem274*

123/5
Latham's dismissal looked really bad. No footwork at all. Based on other knocks he looks like a middle order player elevated to opener, rather than a true opener, to me.

I think his place will be in the middle order for tests. He'll probably get a run as an opener before long though.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Latham's dismissal looked really bad. No footwork at all. Based on other knocks he looks like a middle order player elevated to opener, rather than a true opener, to me.
Sure, if you take his dismissal in isolation, it looks bad.

However, at that point in the match, the spinners were bowling well and the run rate had started to dip. Rubel coming back into the attack would have seemed like an opportunity to put a bowler under pressure and force Mushfiqur into a corner. The shot was premeditated, and he just happened to get a good ball.

I'm sure at the start of the innings he wouldn't have been trying to cut that ball.

Flem274*

123/5
It was a blatant slash. I'm happy to admit I've only seen his dismissal so maybe before that he was perfect, but based upon all other footage I've seen of him opening he's very airy fairy outside off and has lazy footwork to he moving ball, which is symptomatic of middle order batsmen who are elevated to open.

I know you love him :p. I'm not saying I don't rate him, I just think he isn't really cut out for opening the batting unless he's more of a perfectionist technically.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Being airy fairy outside off stump is not an issue in limited overs cricket. See: Hughes.

again, the context really matters in ODI cricket. Unlike in test cricket, you have to premeditate a little. He got a good ball when he was looking to put some pressure on a bowler. If it was test cricket it would've been a horrible shot but I think he got out trying to force the pace.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
anyway, let's have a wee look at Milne.

It'll be a tough pitch for him to bowl on, this one. Slow and low, zero seam movement, little carry.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah I really feel for Milne bowling on a pitch like this. That first boundary would never be scored on a pitch with proper bounce.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
did i just hear a commentator saying Taylor will need his form going into Sri Lanka? Do your homework please

Last edited: