• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Mike5181

International Captain
You're going to hate this post but if you were offered 0-0 before a ball had been bowled this series I reckon you'd have taken it, especially given the circumstances of the draws - ie. you were the better side across the series. A drawn series against quality opposition is definitely a good result for New Zealand and the side played genuinely well so there's a lot to take from it.
GTFO, and let me be irrationally sad for a while. But yeah, I see your point. I'm not sure many of us would have predicted we'd perform as well as we did, myself included. There's a big list of positives to take out of this series though. The emergence of Hamish Rutherford, the resurgence of Peter Fulton, and McCullum's performance as captain(with the bat as well). I think what has been the most pleasing thing about this series has been Trent Boult. At least in my opinion anyway. I've always rated him, but he looked legitimately world-class on some batting-friendly pitches in this series. I knew Wagner would do a job for us, but he exceeded my expectations as well. He took some mightily important wickets during the series.

James

Cricket Web Owner
GTFO, and let me be irrationally sad for a while. But yeah, I see your point. I'm not sure many of us would have predicted we'd perform as well as we did, myself included. There's a big list of positives to take out of this series though. The emergence of Hamish Rutherford, the resurgence of Peter Fulton, and McCullum's performance as captain(with the bat as well). I think what has been the most pleasing thing about this series has been Trent Boult. At least in my opinion anyway. I've always rated him, but he looked legitimately world-class on some batting-friendly pitches in this series. I knew Wagner would do a job for us, but he exceeded my expectations as well. He took some mightily important wickets during the series.
Agree wholeheartedly with that statement. Boult to me is the greatest bowler that has come on in the NZ side since Shane Bond retired and to think he obviously still isn't the finished product. There's a lot to get excited about the future there. It will be certainly be interesting to see how he goes over in England. I need to start preparing for some late nights in front of the telly I think! We should almost have a thread dedicated towards tips to staying awake all night!

I assume that Guptill will be fit for England so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Bugger!

Well that was a fair old scrap. Disappointing that we couldn't quite nail the win, but that was a fantastic effort by England to save the series. Ya gotta love test cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know Hesson backed Guptill before he got injured but given how terrible he was and the fact that a lot of people wanted him dropped even in spite of thinking the potential replacements were gash, surrrrrely he can't just walk back into the side now that openers have performed in his place. It would be an absolute farce.

James

Cricket Web Owner
How Cricket Web's Fantasy Cricket saw the player performances:

1. Matthew Prior 466
2. Peter Fulton 462
3. Kane Williamson 443
4. Steven Finn 415
5. Stuart Broad 413
6. Jonathan Trott 387
7. Bruce Martin 352
8. Trent Boult 352
9. Hamish Rutherford 346
10. Neil Wagner 341
11. Nick Compton 322
12. Brendon McCullum 308
13. James Anderson 305
14. Alastair Cook 265
15. Tim Southee 252
16. Ian Bell 203
17. BJ Watling 171
18. Ross Taylor 144
19. Dean Brownlie 139
20. Monty Panesar 133
21. Joe Root 88
22. Kevin Pietersen 85
23. Chris Woakes 10
24. Jonny Bairstow 9

biased indian

International Coach
thought NZ had it almost sealed yesterday....but that's good rear guard action by bell,prior and broad...Now my penguins have to wait for some more time.....:(

Grasshopper

State Vice-Captain
Guptill, Vettori, Ryder, Bracewell, McClenaghan ...that's not a bad bench. Dean Brownlie's probably the most vulnerable starter.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill, Vettori, Ryder, Bracewell, McClenaghan ...that's not a bad bench. Dean Brownlie's probably the most vulnerable starter.
Good apart from we won't take 16 for just 2 tests. Leave Ryder behind - prob not available anyway. Gtfo about dropping Brownlie. Guptill may be challenged for reserve batsman by Latham or Ronchi, who can both also double as reserve keeper. Room for both Guptill and Latham/Ronchi if Vettori's unfit of course.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Oof Brownlie, he'll be feeling sick tonight. If he'd clung on to that chance from Bell, I reckon we would've wrapped the match up in the hour after lunch (with the tail being exposed to the new ball).

Flem274*

123/5
Good apart from we won't take 16 for just 2 tests. Leave Ryder behind - prob not available anyway. Gtfo about dropping Brownlie. Guptill may be challenged for reserve batsman by Latham or Ronchi, who can both also double as reserve keeper. Room for both Guptill and Latham/Ronchi if Vettori's unfit of course.
Barring Injury and assuming it's a 15 man squad...

Fulton
Rutherford
Williamson
Taylor
Brownlie
McCullum
Watling
Southee
Martin
Wagner
Boult

Bracewell
Butler
Latham
Guptill/Ronchi/Flynn

Lock it in. There is really only one spot up for grabs and it's a batting spot. I'd have Milne ahead of Butler personally but that's a really harsh call and Butler deserves his inclusion. Also, putting my realist hat on, if Butler misses out it will be to McClenaghan.

Hopefully New Zealand gets the A program going over the winter and fields as close to a second eleven as circumstances allow.

Last edited:

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Are any Black Caps likely to miss the 1st test because of the IPL? I know they have a certain amount of IPL ftime in their contracts. Is it likely to clash? Would be a real shame.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Bracewell
Butler
Latham
Guptill/Ronchi/Flynn

Lock it in. There is really only one spot up for grabs and it's a batting spot. I'd have Milne ahead of Butler personally but that's a really harsh call and Butler deserves his inclusion. Also if Butler misses out it will be to McClenaghan.
I wanted to let my mourning period end before thinking about the next series but you've drawn me in with this rubbish :p

The only player 'locked in' of those reserves is Bracewell. I cannot see how either Butler or Latham is guaranteed or even likely to be selected - they've been the reserves for this series but only because Guptill, Ronchi, Vettori and McClenaghan were all injured :wacko:.

Flametree

International 12th Man
Sad thought but we might have won that game with Vettori playing. Bit of rough outside off, and a session to bowl at three left-handed tailenders, I'd have backed him. Even if it was the fourth innings...

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will McCullum be fit the IPL?

He was really struggling today and if it is a hamstring then he either misses IPL to be fit for tour or plays IPL and risks missing tour. Good test of his priorities I suppose.