• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Meridio

International Regular
Southee is so much better when the ball is swinging. Still doesn't look at his best action-wise but is improving.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I guess that does make sense, provided the keeper has good enough judgement to leave the direct hits. Though that would take insane split-second decision making. Would be interesting to see the overall cost/benefit of the technique.
Even the direct hits done properly lose next to no time. The cost/benefit must be overwhelmingly positive for England, with all their analysts, to use it. Watch this from 09:11 through to 11:34, particularly the Hughes run-out at 10:29.

Personally, the difference even in little drills is noticeable versus taking the ball behind the stumps, and I use it as much as possible when I'm dealing with throws... unless the fielder's got a spray gun arm.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Huge wicket ! First time Southee lands a perfectly consistent over and he strikes.

Couldn't have 3 more better wickets either; Cook, Trott & Bell.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I'm very pleased that Compton is out. The reality is that players like Compton and Fulton are never going to be able to deal with pitched up swing bowling.

For some reason England decided to gift Fulton a century by bowling short and not trying to swing the ball. Thank god we haven't done the same thing with Compton.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Need to keep the pressure on - next question - can Wagner land it on the cut strip when he comes on? Surely will be better than last night.

Last edited:

Meridio

International Regular
Lovely from Boult! Ball didn't do a huge amount but think Bairstow's lack of recent match play made it that much harder for him. Didn't really time anything all innings.

Flem274*

123/5
Boult and Southee are going to be such a gun pair in the future whenever there is swing.
Isn't even much swing out there.

If they tighten up their lines they have the pace and in Southee's case, the variation to be a threat on any pitch.

Those one or two pies every over need to be eliminated first.