• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think bowling first is probably the right call. Gives them the best possible chance of forcing a result if it turns out to be another England vs. the draw type match.
I agree, just I don't think NZ will be overly concerned as the pitch is good to bat on and they should get a decent score on the board. Both sides were going to bowl but it isn't a pitch that bowlers will be relishing getting the ball on.

Howsie

International Captain
tbf England have bowled pretty poorly. Anderson has been excellent but Broad and now Finn just haven't been full enough.

Last edited:

Zinzan

The radio commentators have said that Fulton looks pretty good. Apparently moving his feet with a lot more purpose, and is wafting far less outside the off-stump.

EDIT: as I say that, Fulton nicks one through the vacant 4th slip for 4.

Would appreciate a few more ones and twos. At this stage of his career, Rutherford seems pretty easy to stop up. Good to have an opening pair that can get through the opening 10 overs unscathed though.
I seriously don't know what they're watching then. Between the odd half-decent shot, Fulton has looked utterly awful this morning. Keeps playing at deliveries 3 feet wide of off-stump when it's crucial these two see off the new ball. Is lucky to still be there imo.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
Pitch has a really nice bounce, looks expecially good for Finn to take a fiver on it.
Then you never know with Finn, but I'm sure a good bowler would know how to exploit this pitch

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
tbf England have Bowles pretty poorly. Anderson has been excellent but Broad and now Finn just haven't been full enough.
It's the effect of having Rutherford in the team. They're targeting his lack of scoring shots on the backfoot, which is good for slowing the run rate, but not so good for making the most of the new ball.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Wtf, why wasn't the seamer with most wickets this series dropped for the recently injured goon whose last 8 tests has yielded 16 wickets at 48.87? Outrageous!

Mike5181

International Captain
I seriously don't know what they're watching then. Between the odd half-decent shot, Fulton has looked utterly awful this morning. Keeps playing at deliveries 3 feet wide of off-stump when it's crucial these two see off the new ball. Is lucky to still be there imo.
He's our batting equivalent of Neil Wagner. Somehow has passable performances in the series, despite looking inept a lot of the time.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The radio commentators have said that Fulton looks pretty good. Apparently moving his feet with a lot more purpose, and is wafting far less outside the off-stump.

EDIT: as I say that, Fulton nicks one through the vacant 4th slip for 4.

Would appreciate a few more ones and twos. At this stage of his career, Rutherford seems pretty easy to stop up. Good to have an opening pair that can get through the opening 10 overs unscathed though.
FFS Fulton, don't you ever learn you dope !
Haha I'm listening to the radio too and was also wondering if Fulton was actually playing well. Zinzan and others have now disavowed me of that notion.

Still, seems to be excelling in the art of looking awful but staying in and still hitting bad balls for four. Like a reverse-Guptill.

Zinzan

Wtf, why wasn't the seamer with most wickets this series dropped for the recently injured goon whose last 8 tests has yielded 16 wickets at 48.87? Outrageous!
Ind33d. I'm still not entirely convinced by Wagner & I think he's had more than his fair share of luck this series. However you're right that people conveniently ignore the fact that Bracewell has been a liability with the ball in the last 12 months.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Ind33d. I'm still not entirely convinced by Wagner & I think he's had more than his fair share of luck this series. However you're right that people conveniently ignore the fact that Bracewell has been a liability with the ball in the last 12 months.
Mostly true, though he also arguably slightly outbowled Boult to be our best bowler in South Africa, and was definitely better than Wagner.

I really had no complaint whether they picked Wagner or Bracewell for this match.