• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

James

Cricket Web Owner
****, this 2002 Eden Park test match... How did Adams never play another test. It still beggars belief over a decade later.
Always wondered that myself as well, very strange indeed. He's been playing over in England for one of the county sides hasn't he, and didn't he take the most wickets in a county season a couple of years back? Would have been a very handy first change bowler, lower order batsman for us for many years.

Never quite realised until watching those highlights how slow Chris Drum was as well. Was showing speed gun around 120-125kph.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He really didn't get on with Bracewell at all. Would never have played while he was in charge, and I imagine the salary he earns from Notts is as good as anything the NZC could've offered.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
He really didn't get on with Bracewell at all. Would never have played while he was in charge, and I imagine the salary he earns from Notts is as good as anything the NZC could've offered.
It's lucky we've moved past the polarising and divisive Bracewell years into a period of sensible NZC adminstration, coaching and governance :dry:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just back from the ground. They were playing every conceivable song imaginable that had the word rain in it. It wasn't the rain that drove us away in the end but the music. Most of the numbers were of the Cliff Richard ilk.

From the first session - I really enjoyed watching Monty bowl. He has developed a lot from the first time I saw him some years ago (on TV). Usually a flighted one followed by a quicker once. Had Taylor's measure at times.

Williamson had shelved all his shots (relatively speaking was still belting the part timers around) and was just batting time.

Days of Grace

International Captain
What is it with New Zealand DJs' penchant for playing classic rock, easy listening at cricket grounds, even in T20s and ODIs? New Zealand society is still dictated to by white, middle-aged farmers.

And LOL at the weather. Just don't announce that play will start, ffs. Get the umpires and players to sprint out of the pavilion and onto the ground before the weather knows what's going on. Series 0-0 now in all likelihood, and 1-1 in terms of rain assisted escapes and poor batting displays.

Looking at the third test match, England clearly have the momentum now and New Zealand will need a good 1st day at Eden Park to stay with them. I fear New Zealand have another lollapse of 150 proportions left in this series.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just back from the ground. They were playing every conceivable song imaginable that had the word rain in it. It wasn't the rain that drove us away in the end but the music. Most of the numbers were of the Cliff Richard ilk.

From the first session - I really enjoyed watching Monty bowl. He has developed a lot from the first time I saw him some years ago (on TV). Usually a flighted one followed by a quicker once. Had Taylor's measure at times.

Williamson had shelved all his shots (relatively speaking was still belting the part timers around) and was just batting time.
Yeah, sadly with Williamson, even when he's playing well within himself it's always only a matter of time before he loses concentration.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, sadly with Williamson, even when he's playing well within himself it's always only a matter of time before he loses concentration.
Enough with the negativity just this once. The lad played very well this morning and deserves some credit.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Enough with the negativity just this once. The lad played very well this morning and deserves some credit.
Yes because a couple of hours of good battling completely cancels out a year of profligacy outside the off stump.

If he tons up and follows it with a good effort in the next test then I'll maybe revise my opinion of him.

Days of Grace

International Captain
It doesn't cancel it out, ffs. Just saying that it won't kill you to admit someone played well when they actually did.

FFS, they just announced that play will start again at 5.10pm. Which means that it will now rain again.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah the backfoot punch to good length balls outside off stump needs to be restricted to being played only against medium pace on flat decks.

There's just not enough time to correct for any slight deviation off the pitch against any decently quick bowler at that length. It doesn't matter how many runs it gets him.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Judging by the forecast, doesn't look like us getting much cricket in the rest of this match. :(
It doesn't cancel it out, ffs. Just saying that it won't kill you to admit someone played well when they actually did.

FFS, they just announced that play will start again at 5.10pm. Which means that it will now rain again.
I never said he didn't bat well, I said his performances of late have made it feel like you can never relax, because he's made a habit of playing poor shots once set.

Nah, looks pretty good now, should get a good hour in at least.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Boy, I am on fire with my weather predictions today.

No chance of any more play tonight, it's settling in.