• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
This is a massive innings for Compton. He doesn't look good enough to me but Vaughan and Boycott having been upping there get Bairstow and Root in the team agenda in the last few days so I'm hoping for a Compton masterclass just to piss of those two *****
I feel the same way. You get the feeling Compton is an unpopular choice witch much of the mainstream media, which instantly makes him a persona favourite of mine.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel the same way. You get the feeling Compton is an unpopular choice witch much of the mainstream media, which instantly makes him a persona favourite of mine.
A combination of age and the way he plays - if he was 21 and batted like Grandpa Compo he'd be everybody's darling, media included

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
A combination of age and the way he plays - if he was 21 and batted like Grandpa Compo he'd be everybody's darling, media included
It's the county journeyman tag that screws him over. People would much rather the next Len Hutton opened instead of someone who supposedly should be just playing county cricket, not internationals. Of course, they're happy to forget that Trott was a county journeyman when picked, replacing youthful prodigy and talent man Ravi Bopara by scoring more runs in one test than Bopara had in the four previous ones.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looking too easy here for England. If we don't get a wicket in the next hour then the draw is favourite.
I'd say a draw already is odd-on tbh especially with the light/weather still looking a probably factor. England have started solidly, but the NZ bowlers just aren't hitting the right areas consistently enough. This is the major difference between the likes of Anderson, Steyn and Philander and the NZ bowlers, it's not just pace.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Draw already a $1.25 favourite.

Time for this high tide theory to kick in, get some more nip...

Uni Oval Theory - YouTube

Boult has looked a bit pushy and disappointing; I've got no idea who's going to bowl into the wind at the Basin other than Bartin. Bracewell was really poor into the wind in Wellington last year, but obvs has the strongest action in the country.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'd say a draw already is odd-on tbh especially with the light/weather still looking a probably factor. England have started solidly, but the NZ bowlers just aren't hitting the right areas consistently enough. This is the major difference between the likes of Anderson, Steyn and Philander and the NZ bowlers, it's not just pace.
It's getting that way but there's a long way to go. Wagner was bowling a load of rubbish from what I saw before.

Southee's the bowler we should be turning to for a wicket here.

Should get Williamson to chuck a few down.

Jezroy

State Captain
England have started solidly, but the NZ bowlers just aren't hitting the right areas consistently enough. This is the major difference between the likes of Anderson, Steyn and Philander and the NZ bowlers, it's not just pace.
Yep - watching that 45 we got in Sth Africa, you just kept thinking "where are we going to score a run"?

Here, even at our best, they were still scoring 2-2.5 rpo. Among the good balls, there are opportunities there for runs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Last 10 overs with Wagner off - 12/0

Restricting the scoring rate does keep us in with a sniff - less time needed to knock off those 70 runs :ph34r: rather than 150