• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I see it just as the current flavour of the month vs flavour of the month from a couple of years ago.

Basically just the hype cycle... perhaps cut short because we've already moved on to the next Next Big Thing. No plateau of productivity for Flynn at this rate.

cool post.

Howsie

International Captain
Gotta admit I don't really get the Tom Latham love. Looks to have a very traditional kiwi domestic opener technique whenever I see him bat. That's not a good thing.
He's a quality talent; by New Zealand standards anyway, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the test team right now, and sure as heck not as an opener. He'll play for New Zealand for a long time but I have my doubts it'll be as a opening batsmen, he's a middle order bat all day long. Limited footwork, goes at the ball hard, likes to score freely through the off-side, plays spin really well, he's your perfect 4,5,6.

Rutherford, meh, It's two seasons to early for him, Anderson will eat him for breakfeast. Pretty similar to Latham really in that he loves to score through the off-side but has some pretty lazy footwork, difference is Latham is a hell of a lot more talented and he has more shots at this point of their careers. England look to have already worked Rutherford out to which probably doesn't bode well for the next month.

I personally would've gone with Flynn and Rutherford - Fulton is a joke selection. Flynn's record makes for horrible reading but he's not as bad as it makes him look. He's probably played about a 1/4 of his games at home, he's been moved up and down the order since his debut, he just hasn't really been given a break.

Howsie

International Captain
I would've loved to have seen the selectors take a punt of Anderson btw if they have no problem with picking Latham.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
I'm wagering on Latham getting 50+ tbh. Not quite sure about Rutherford tho - would've preferred Flynn instead. Regardless, can't complain much.
PS: Vids of Bartin, anyone?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I would've loved to have seen the selectors take a punt of Anderson btw if they have no problem with picking Latham.
I realise that Latham is a higher order bat than Anderson. But putting that aside Latham is a better ball striker than Anderson and TL catches your eye more because of this,

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's a quality talent; by New Zealand standards anyway, but he shouldn't be anywhere near the test team right now, and sure as heck not as an opener. He'll play for New Zealand for a long time but I have my doubts it'll be as a opening batsmen, he's a middle order bat all day long. Limited footwork, goes at the ball hard, likes to score freely through the off-side, plays spin really well, he's your perfect 4,5,6.

Rutherford, meh, It's two seasons to early for him, Anderson will eat him for breakfeast. Pretty similar to Latham really in that he loves to score through the off-side but has some pretty lazy footwork, difference is Latham is a hell of a lot more talented and he has more shots at this point of their careers. England look to have already worked Rutherford out to which probably doesn't bode well for the next month.

I personally would've gone with Flynn and Rutherford - Fulton is a joke selection. Flynn's record makes for horrible reading but he's not as bad as it makes him look. He's probably played about a 1/4 of his games at home, he's been moved up and down the order since his debut, he just hasn't really been given a break.
Wow. Pretty much agree with this post 100%.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Rutherford's technique will necessarily be found out. He looked edgy outside off stump, but that may just be due to the fact that he doesn't have all the shots, and in t20 and ODIs you have to play something.

He might have the patience and humility to know that he can't play those shots and put them away in test cricket.

But that's a big might.

vandem

International 12th Man
... No Flynn is surprising. I thought they were at the very least priming him to be the reserve opener to Guptill/Fulton and tbh he's a better batsman than everyone selected to open ahead of him so poop selection there....
Probably had a chance with some better form for ND. Since return from SA he's only passed 40 twice in 11 innings (admittedly both centuries), this is Timmy Mc type of scoring we don't need. From openers we need consistency ahead of big scores, need to give Taylor and BMc a chance to bat against tired bowlers and the old ball. Rutherford's passed 40 in 7 FC innings from 16 this season. Fulton 10 / 18. Latham not as good, but he's been picked as 13th man with an eye to the future.

Mike5181

International Captain
Probably had a chance with some better form for ND. Since return from SA he's only passed 40 twice in 11 innings (admittedly both centuries), this is Timmy Mc type of scoring we don't need. From openers we need consistency ahead of big scores, need to give Taylor and BMc a chance to bat against tired bowlers and the old ball. Rutherford's passed 40 in 7 FC innings from 16 this season. Fulton 10 / 18. Latham not as good, but he's been picked as 13th man with an eye to the future.
The future being the third test tbh. :P

Four innings is more than enough for England's bowling attack to make Fulton/Rutherford look like they were picked from beach cricket performances.

Flem274*

123/5
One of them is going to score a debut hundred followed by ten innings of single digits. Calling it now.

Straw Man has the graph to demonstrate what will happen.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If England win this test series 2-0 they'll lose ranking points. :dry: Going to be a long time until South Africa are displaced at the top me thinks.