• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in India

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I think another critical point that's being ignored here is that Patel's inclusion will reduce the workload on the seamers, allowing them to bowl shorter spells and therefore - hopefully - be more effective.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd rather pick a batsman if they want an extra batsman not a part timer who is average in both departments. I don't read too much into warm up games.

Who said anything about 5 runs?
Not sure, must have imagined it, because it would have been a stupid think for a **** to post.

Patel was picked in the squad as a batsman, he's done nothing to suggest that was wrong in the warm-ups, and talking about KP as a bowling option is on the same level as talking about Napier* as a batting option.

He's earned his place, and two seamers are, IMHO, impractical.

*Awaits my first infraction

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think another critical point that's being ignored here is that Patel's inclusion will reduce the workload on the seamers, allowing them to bowl shorter spells and therefore - hopefully - be more effective.
The same can be said for Monty.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The question is not who will be more effective out of Panesar and Patel, it is who will be more effective out of Panesar and the third quick.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
So let me just confirm. If you want Monty to play instead of Patel, are you grouping him in part of a 5 man attack, or a two man attack with two quicks?
Two spinners, two quicks - if Monty plays. Let's remember the spinners can bowl a lot of over between them and in emergency you have KP and Trott.

It would depend on the pitch if I selected Monty, it would have to be pro spinner wicket, otherwise I'd go Broad. I wouldn't start Patel, regardless. One century in a warm up match won't change that or turn him into a good reliable batsman.

Last edited:

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
The question is not who will be more effective out of Panesar and Patel, it is who will be more effective out of Panesar and the third quick.
You're probably right, I think it should be the question though.

I saw on the bbc today 'The Wall' agreed with me, Monty over Patel!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The third quick by light years. Far more effective bowler, more effective batsman, more effective fielder.

hazsa19

International Regular
Picking Patel is a wasted space in my book.

I would go with Bairstow at 6, a bowling attack of Monty Swann Jimmy Broad/ Bresnan, but I wouldn't be unhappy if they went with 5 front line bowlers and played Prior at 6.

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
Picking Patel is a wasted space in my book.

I would go with Bairstow at 6, a bowling attack of Monty Swann Jimmy Broad/ Bresnan, but I wouldn't be unhappy if they went with 5 front line bowlers and played Prior at 6.
Agreed.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I agree with the sentiment of the third quick. But I reckon that if it does happen, they'll select Patel, let Pietersen remain as a change bowler, and be happy with Patel bowling 10-15 overs per new ball, and the English hierarchy don't think that they'll be losing that much with the bat for what they get with the ball.

I'm always for picking your best six bats plus a keeper, I don't really agree with it, but I think it's what will happen.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
If he has shown better form than the other #6 contenders and is also more of an asset with the ball than those other contenders, what's wrong with playing him?

LFD

School Boy/Girl Captain
If he has shown better form than the other #6 contenders and is also more of an asset with the ball than those other contenders, what's wrong with playing him?
Because he is a **** batsman!

He is a poor batsman and poor spinner - not a great combination for an England player.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Dunno if its been mentioned yet in this thread, but Foxtel have secured rights to show the India v England test series live, right at the last minute! Hooray!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, quite. Patel's a fifth bowler and Monty's a fourth.

Assuming Swann's one of the other three it's an absolute no-brainer.

Btw, I see the Mumbai A fixture isn't listed as FC on cricinfo. Has it been subsequently downgraded or was it never one?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, quite. Patel's a fifth bowler and Monty's a fourth.

Assuming Swann's one of the other three it's an absolute no-brainer.

Btw, I see the Mumbai A fixture isn't listed as FC on cricinfo. Has it been subsequently downgraded or was it never one?
Cricinfo definitely seemed to think it was one at the time. Whether it's been downgraded or they were just wrong is the question I suppose.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Normally i'd say the quick if we presume it is Broad and that Anderson and Bresnan are playing. With the fitness doubt I am leaning towards Panesar.