• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of the Infamous

ganeshran

International Debutant
Well harsh on Kallis being in this. Don't actually like the bloke but aside from being slightly bland in his public utterances and (allegedly, etc) a bit dim the worst you can say is he's selfish and not to everyone's taste (including mine) as a batsman.

Hard to split Murali's two bastards tho. Both have truly, truly awful actions. Think I'll go with Botha as he's actually been banned from bowling his wrong 'un and has the face of a Waffen SS Panzer commander.
:laugh::laugh:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Super battle, this.

Ian Chappell (Australia)

Crimes:

- Segueing the Benaud Era into the Ugly Australians, a cadre of all-singing, all-sledging bounce-happy ****s
- Relentless trolling of players as player and commentator
- Decades of noise pollution on Channel 9
- Just let it go, it's only Beefy, it's been years, he's not worth it - Ian! IAN!...sigh

'Chappell was a coward. He needed a crowd around him before he would say anything. He was sour like milk that had been sitting in the sun for a week.' - Ian Botham

'Playing against a team with Ian Chappell as a captain turns a cricket match into gang warfare.' - Mike Brearley

'At the moment he looks like a player trying to eke out a career; build on a glittering array of statistics.' - Chappell when confronted with Sachin Tendulkar's glittering array of statistics

'What the ****'s going on? Oh! Sorry about that. Welcome back to Old Trafford...' - Chappell adjusting his earpiece in the commentary box

The Hon. W.G. Grace (England)

Crimes:

- Setting the precedent for Andrew Symonds winning the 2008 Sydney Test by refusing to walk
- Setting the precedent for backyard cricket laws by refusing to walk even when getting bowled first ball
- Demanding match payments despite declaring himself an amateur
- Running someone out in a Test match while they were pantsless in the middle of the pitch

'Play on. They've come here to see me bat, not you bowl.' - W.G. Grace explaining the customer is always right, even if he's been clean bowled

'The Australians came down like a wolf on the fold,
The Mary'bone Cracks for a trifle were bowled;
Our Grace before dinner was very soon done,
And Grace after dinner did not get a run.'

- Punch Magazine after Australia's first Test victory in England

'Notoriously unscholarly' - Miss Trotman, his primary school teacher

'****, I wish I'd thought of that.' - Vinoo Mankad after reading about Grace's run-out

Warwick Armstrong (Australia)

Crimes:

- Fat ****
- Bowling two overs in a row, one from each end, in a Test match
- Refusing to go on an Ashes tour because he couldn't pick his own manager
- Attempting a diet on the boat trip to England and actually gaining weight instead
- Yelling at umpires with Pontingesque consistency
- Having an 'impregnable' defence in spite of constantly looking pregnant

'The chief offender was Warwick Armstrong, who got very nasty and unsportsmanlike, refusing to accept the umpire's decision. That upset me. I did not know if was standing on my head or my heels with the consequence that two balls later I let one go, never even attempting to play it; and it bowled me. I still bear this incident in mind against Armstrong.' - Jack Hobbs

'Please, sir, you are the only bit of decent shade in the place.' - A small boy who Armstrong thought just wanted his autograph

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Chappelli is the only First Class cricketer to have bought me a drink so he's ok - of the other two it's a bit of a coin toss but I'll go for the Big Ship, 'cos he's Australian

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Grace. Set parlous standards for sportsmanship followed by England teams to this day.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Grace. Imagine he was a massive **** (in every sense) in his dealings with everyone.

Might be the "stopped clock" thang, but Chapelli and sense do occasionally intersect.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Super battle, this.
- Relentless trolling of players as player and commentator
- Decades of noise pollution on Channel 9
Sums it up perfectly. Indeed your summaries of all nominees' failings are superb.

Chappell for mine. I have made my distaste for the man known many times on this forum.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Brett Lee. Most of his Test wickets were tail enders who he bounced and sledged and snarled and acted like a hero if he got them out. Even if the score was 570/7 e.g. Sydney 2004. Also bowled many beamers which were uncannily on target and immediately rushed to the batsman to apologise each time. Arguably a chucker at times too. And then there was the singing....lol.....wotanob