• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

It's Tough Being Me - The Kevin Pietersen Story

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What was the context? I mean one could take the line, to paraphrase Freud, that a **** is sometimes just a ****, but it's a better look for Strauss if it came up in a discussion of some Pietersen perfidy rather than than the camera just lingering on him for slightly too long and him opining,

"The man really is a massive ****, Nick."

"Well I've played with a lot of ****s, Straussy and, it's fair to say, KP does have certain ******ish qualities but, at the same time and conversely, others would have the opposite opinion"

"Insightful as ever, Nick"

"Well, yeah, Straussy. A lot of seasoned observers will have noted by now that I never actually express an opinion, but really my opinion is that I simply don't have any."

"****"

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Strauss is well within his rights to hold that view, particularly given Pietersen messaging his opponents and all that, but the fact is the current management rissoled him for good on the back of a disastrous Ashes series where he was still one of their relatively better performers amidst an absolute pile of **** from nearly everyone else, the captain included.

Once they welcomed him back after the SA messages fiasco, it's pretty ordinary to just sack him because he's a ****. I mean, some of our most successful teams of the late 20th and early 21st centuries were replete with ****s who thought they were bigger than the team/ game, but blokes got on with it in the interests of winning.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn't it the case that Pietersen referred to Strauss as a "doos" in those texts, which is the South African equivalent of ****?

So KP can hardly complain

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah indeed. I've no problem with Strauss having that view at all.

I still don't really know why it was that Pietersen was rissoled for good though, other than that he's a difficult bloke to get on with. If they'd punted him once and for all after the text messages, fair enough.

But having let him back in the fray, I don't think you can just say "He's hard to get on with and we've lost. So even though he was our leading run scorer and sole attacking batsman in a series where we went at 2rpo and got pumped, we will will mark him never to play again". It's a complete abrogation of your responsibility as management to do that - it's part of the gig to make competing, clashing characters work.

fredfertang

I still don't really know why it was that Pietersen was rissoled for good though, other than that he's a difficult bloke to get on with. If they'd punted him once and for all after the text messages, fair enough.

But having let him back in the fray, I don't think you can just say "He's hard to get on with and we've lost. So even though he was our leading run scorer and sole attacking batsman in a series where we went at 2rpo and got pumped, we will will mark him never to play again". It's a complete abrogation of your responsibility as management to do that - it's part of the gig to make competing, clashing characters work.
Couldn't agree more - should be the first name on the team sheet imo, even if he then has to change on his own and buy his own drinks in the bar

grecian

Tbf they made it pretty clear he won't be picked again no matter how many he scores.
Nah, he can't carry on blathering about wanting to be picked tomorrow, if he's not playing county cricket, and scoring runs for Surrey.

He flies to the CPL soon, so I guess he won't play a first-class match all year.

I think the argument about whether he should have been ditched is decent. Yet since he has been he's pretty damn awful in most ways. I genuinely think he has no real wish to play for England again, despite the twaddle coming from his mouth.

Last edited:

uvelocity

International Coach

you're forgetting this is england

fredfertang

I think the conciliatory comments are actually fashioned just to cause unrest - he's hoping that the tabloids will agitate on his behalf and cause grief for the England team management but, as Grecian points out, he really needs to score some runs for that to prove an effective strategy - now if he'd done what Aaron Finch did yesterday ................................

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yep. Grecian and Burgey are both right (an awful thing to say and I can only apologise). The axing was ridiculous but KP's behaviour since has been poor. He should have distanced himself from Piers Morgan and done all he could to make the decision look stupid. Instead he's dissed his former team mates, commented on who should be playing and sat with Morgan at a Test while he tweeted abuse to the England captain and players. I think we can sometimes go overboard round here for the way we turn on ex-players just for having opinions but in KP's case it's fully justified and he should never play for England again, even if there are widespread management changes.

grecian

I think the conciliatory comments are actually fashioned just to cause unrest - he's hoping that the tabloids will agitate on his behalf and cause grief for the England team management but, as Grecian points out, he really needs to score some runs for that to prove an effective strategy - now if he'd done what Aaron Finch did yesterday ................................
Yes, Imagine the hype if he'd scored a big 100 live on TV. He really is looking all at sea to spinners when he first comes in. His footwork is one of his best features, but he just seems to be aimlessly wondering down the pitch. There's no doubt teams are targeting this ATM. He'll get lots more of it in the CPL I would have thought, with the Caribbean pitches being what they are nowadays,

social

Well I think everyone knows that Strauss is well within his rights to hold such an opinion

Piers Morgan's line of reasoning almost straddles the old 'Cevnoing' term people used to throw about round here. Because KP was sacked for dissing his captain, a commentator should be sacked for calling a player a **** off air. Oh dear.

Strauss shouldn't have apologised.

I was furious when we axed KP however his conduct since has been poor. **** him.
Nah disagree

He has killed the ECB on the PR stakes and Cook, Flower, Clarke, the ECB etc look like ***** atm

Punt KP into the ether with a modicum of respect and no-one would care (least of all me!)

Make him a scapegoat whilst a bunch of hacks survive and it is laughable

Last edited: