• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Match-Ups Made in Heaven

Jager

International Debutant
I think that your money would be safe Jager. This short story comes from Jeff Thomson's book, 'Thomo Speaks Out' (pages 180, 183-84). Incidently, the "Doc" refers to Dr Donald Beard the former South Australian Cricket Association Medical Officer.

There is a lot of hyperbole in Jeff Thomson's recollections but we can still get the general idea. If a 70 year old Bradman can "belt" two bowlers operating at roughly 130 km/hr on a back-yard pitch then he'd probably go alright aged 20-30 against Marshall and Holding operating at around 150 km/hr on a flat Test Match wicket. Yes?
Absolutely, although you will find some stubborn resistance as to the actual speeds of the West Indian quartet around these forums. I do believe they were that fast though. He was certainly almost a different breed in terms of batting. Barnes against Bradman would be a fascinating battle to watch unfold, too. I have read that Thomson story before somewhere actually, it's brilliant.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
@watson: Most people usually hate seeing their heroes as anything less than heroes. The hyperbole there is off the charts. 70 yo guy facing mini Mcgraths batting better than prime Richards or Ponting or Lara...this is why anecdotal evidence should always be taken with a fistful of salt.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And the flip-side to that scenario is the oldies getting taught a lesson by the 1980's quicks. I've always wondered whether the 'The Don' would lose his off stump against Michael Holding as Geoff Boycott did in Barbados, or would the same ball be crashed through the covers.
I've read somewhere Bradman got bowled quite often in his career, so he may well have lost his off peg.

How many he'd make before losing it is the issue :)

I'd like to have seen O'Reilly bowling to Richards. Richards vs Bodyline would have been quite something.

Warne and/ or Murali bowling to Bradman of course, would be amazing.

watson

Banned
@watson: Most people usually hate seeing their heroes as anything less than heroes. The hyperbole there is off the charts. 70 yo guy facing mini Mcgraths batting better than prime Richards or Ponting or Lara...this is why anecdotal evidence should always be taken with a fistful of salt.

Since Bishen Bedi and Vishy were also there at the picnic it seems a good idea to get their opinion on Thomo's story.

Does anyone have their e-mail address so we can ask? :D

Last edited:

watson

Banned
I've read somewhere Bradman got bowled quite often in his career, so he may well have lost his off peg.

How many he'd make before losing it is the issue :)

I'd like to have seen O'Reilly bowling to Richards. Richards vs Bodyline would have been quite something.

Warne and/ or Murali bowling to Bradman of course, would be amazing.
Bradman was bowled 32.4% of the time during Test Matches. On 43.7% of the time he was caught. Is a third of the time a lot? I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

Don Bradman - Test - Batting Dismissals

Interestingly enough, the 3 Test bowlers to dismiss him the most were not quick. Verity comes first, then Bedser and Tate. Even the part-time medium pacer Walter Hammond got him out 3 times.

HowSTAT! Player Dismissal Analysis

On the domestic scene Clarrie Grimmett has the most dismissals with 10.

Sir Donald Bradman | Australia Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

So I might have to rearrange my match-up since it appears that Bradman had more difficulty with the moving ball than the fast one. Perhaps the greatest wrist spinner of all time or the greatest medium pacer of all time would be a more facinating contest after all;

Bradman V Warne OR Bradman V Barnes

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Definitely agree on the Harvey comparison- I think Murali and Warne were never consistently attacked, which is where they got a lot of their success from. The batsmen I listed would have attacked them relentlessly (for the most part).
There's probably a very good reason for that.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Didn't Ponting's average increase after Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Donald etc had retired?

For me it would be Bradman and Waqar. Would love to see a Bradman hobbling thanks to Waqar's toe crusher. :)
Before 2000:

vs Pakistan
1998/99 in Pakistan: 119 runs @ 119
1999/00 in Australia: 197 runs @ 49.25

vs South Africa
1997/98 in Australia: 248 runs @ 49.6

vs West Indies
1996/97 in Australia: 110 runs @ 27.5
1998/99 in West Indies: 168 @ 56

Think it's an unfair aspersion that gets cast on him.

TNT

Banned
Before 2000:

vs Pakistan

vs South Africa

vs West Indies

I think you missed the actual point of Agent Nationaux's post.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't Ponting's average increase after Wasim, Waqar, Ambrose, Donald etc had retired?
Sure, but that is because he improved his record against the middle-to-low tier attacks. His averages against the best attacks in the 90s are arguably the best of all the great batsmen. And he hadn't hit his prime.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
That reason being that modern batsmen can't play spin? (Obviously there are a few notable exceptions)
They span the ball a mile on any pitch and were excruciatingly accurate to boot. The batsmen you're talking about probably never played spinners near as good as them.

smash84

The Tiger King
That would be Waqar Younis then, probably the truest exponent of reverse swing.
Before 2000:

vs Pakistan

vs South Africa

vs West Indies

I think you are being deliberately stupid here.....

I think he meant something of the pre-95 Waqar (before his major back injury)

Something like this

YORKERS FROM HELL - WAQAR YOUNIS COMPILATION OF DOOM - YouTube

WAQAR YOUNIS painful yorker from hell - YouTube

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think you are being deliberately stupid here.....

I think he meant something of the pre-95 Waqar (before his major back injury)
Yes, he clearly was referring to a period before Ponting played Test Cricket because that would make so much sense to his comment wouldn't it?