Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is the Finest All-Rounder to have Graced the Game?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar

Who is the Finest All-Rounder to have Graced the Game?

In this feature Martin, with a bit of inspiration from Dave, takes a look at one of the subjects that always polarises opinions on the Crickweb forums.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    whatever
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Fascinating read.

Maybe also worth noting that Miller had a decent Aussie Rules career, being good enough to be selected for Victoria despite playing for a struggling St Kilda team & having the back woes fred mentions. This makes him (with due respect to Both's brief dalliance with S****horpe) the only one of the great all rounders to play another sport at its highest level too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Fascinating read.

Maybe also worth noting that Miller had a decent Aussie Rules career, being good enough to be selected for Victoria despite playing for a struggling St Kilda team & having the back woes fred mentions. This makes him (with due respect to Both's brief dalliance with S****horpe) the only one of the great all rounders to play another sport at its highest level too.
    On top of that, he was also asked to trial for the Boston Red Sox... he must have been some talent.
    Oh for a strong arm and a walking stick

If Imran Khan is excluded.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    nice read
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Very good read. The Miller story was great and I enjoyed the further information provided on Faulkner. He seems quite a popular name these days (Faulkner) on CW and when you look at purely his figures you can see why. So it was nice to see a few reasons why his stats probably don't show his actual value.

Cricketer Of The Year Cabinet96's Avatar
    Very interesting read Fred. For people who have little knowledge about the games history, articles like this are always fascinating to read. Nice to know the statistics don't tell the whole story with Milller, as impressive as they are anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    This English top three are cornflakes. They're not the most exciting thing out but they're pretty effective. Then the middle order are the sugar. Would be too much on their own but added to the cornflakes they add some much needed interest

When KP returns he will be the banana..

I guess this settles the argument once and for all, right? Miller is clearly the best all-rounder and we can stop having these silly debates about it.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    definitely

Miller had only one outstanding series with the bat and that was one that was played on flat pitches againts a tired, old and depleted attack where Walcotts runs are mostly discredited because of the pitches and age of Lindwall and Miller. His bowling was superb, but with half of his hundreds scored in a high scoring series, his batting isn't quite to that level to be called the greatest all rounder ever considering Imran was the better bower and Sobers batting was better than his bowing. Also as maligned as Sobers bowling was, persons forget that at times Sobers for a long time carried the West Indies bowling, opening the bowling as well as being the stock bowler, keeping the run rate down and all this after making his debut as a left arm spinner. Add to this his captaincy and briliant slip fielding, the title still rests with Sobers.
    Last edited by kyear2; 06-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    I think Debris has just what everyone else is thinking. Miller ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I think the thing with Miller is that even with all the problems and side issues he had that Martin mentions, his overall stats are still awesome. Like Martin, I've also changed my opinion after looking at his career more in depth. In the beginning I kinda went with the crowd with Sir Garry; then onto Imran only to find that his all-rounder skills generally didn't occur at the same time; then I came to Miller.

Miller who could bat in the top order for the Invincibles and was also one of the best bowlers of his time. Who was renown initially as a batsman but turned himself into a bowler for the team. A fantastic talent, whose circumstances didn't seem to get him down but with which he dealt with almost irreverently. He was a real-life movie character, if that makes sense.
    ★★★★★

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    BTW, change the link to Dave's article as it just re-routes to the article on the page already. Dave's is this one IIRC Cricket Web - Features: The Most All-Round All-Rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    I think the thing with Miller is that even with all the problems and side issues he had that Martin mentions, his overall stats are still awesome. Like Martin, I've also changed my opinion after looking at his career more in depth. In the beginning I kinda went with the crowd with Sir Garry; then onto Imran only to find that his all-rounder skills generally didn't occur at the same time; then I came to Miller.

Miller who could bat in the top order for the Invincibles and was also one of the best bowlers of his time. Who was renown initially as a batsman but turned himself into a bowler for the team. A fantastic talent, whose circumstances didn't seem to get him down but with which he dealt with almost irreverently. He was a real-life movie character, if that makes sense.
    "Miller would leap towards the ball and clutch it with a flurry of arms and legs, like a cat grabbing a bird flying bast its hiding place... Miller would do the near impossible."
    I loved that quote by Ashley Mallett. It helps paint a picture of Miller the fielder to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information