• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW50 2nd Edition - No 05

Spark

Global Moderator
circular reasoning? i just told u what i think there is no circular reasoning there at all. u can obvioulsy have a different opinion.
???

It's circular reasoning 101.

"Why is bad that he's a drug cheat?"
"Because it's bad."
"Why is it bad?"
"Because he's a drug cheat."

Uhhhh

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also proves my point that no one really cares about drug cheats. Same thing with baseball. People only dislike it theoretically.

Not a bad thing.
I don't think many people think Warne was an actual drugs cheat.

Drugs in sport are an unusual exception to 'innocent until proven guilty'. If there are drugs in your system, you're banned without any attempt to figure out whether you were actually trying to use them to gain an advantage. You can go through a universally accepted drugs ban without anyone in the world believing that you deliberately did anything wrong- it happened to half the Netherlands football team a while back. That's why it's possible to go through a ban for drugs and come back with almost no damage done to your reputation. It's not that people don't care about it, they're just willing give a benefit of the doubt that anti-doping agencies can't allow.

But yeah, personally, I don't really care. Drugs have a unique ability to invoke ridiculously disproportionate moral outrage and sport isn't an exception.

bagapath

International Captain
warne deserves to be ranked above tendulkar any which way you look at it. yeah, bradman and sobers are automatic choices to be heading this list I agree. and imran has a good case to be number three. warne can be number 5 only if richards sneaks in ahead of him at 4, which hasn't happened here. apart from these gentlemen, no one else, including tendulkar, murali and hobbs, could be placed above warne for he is a greater match winner than all his contemporaries; he also had the style and box office to go with it to make him the most compelling cricketer of his generation.

DingDong

State Captain
???

It's circular reasoning 101.

"Why is bad that he's a drug cheat?"
"Because it's bad."
"Why is it bad?"
"Because he's a drug cheat."

Uhhhh
:wacko:
ahh okay i get it now. :D

it's been discussed to death on the net. i am not a good enough writer so i'll post some links when i get a chance on another thread.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think many people think Warne was an actual drugs cheat.

Drugs in sport are an unusual exception to 'innocent until proven guilty'. If there are drugs in your system, you're banned without any attempt to figure out whether you were actually trying to use them to gain an advantage. You can go through a universally accepted drugs ban without anyone in the world believing that you deliberately did anything wrong- it happened to half the Netherlands football team a while back. That's why it's possible to go through a ban for drugs and come back with almost no damage done to your reputation. It's not that people don't care about it, they're just willing give a benefit of the doubt that anti-doping agencies can't allow.

But yeah, personally, I don't really care. Drugs have a unique ability to invoke ridiculously disproportionate moral outrage and sport isn't an exception.
It's an interesting subject, once you really delve into why performance enhancing drugs are treated as they are, and specifically why the line is drawn where it is, you start to see that the reasons for it aren't very clear at all.

DingDong

State Captain
Personally speaking, I tend to think of these threads as celebrations of the players in question. It would be such a shame to ruin them by bringing in off the field stuff.

I didn't have Warne in my top 5, but I have no problems with his ranking. He was truly a once in a generation type of player.

yes i agree. sorry for ruining the thread. can u delete my posts pls

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
A place too low imo, I had him at four, without doubt the greatest spin bolwer ever. Didn't play on home tracks that particularly favored him and like Marshall had to compete with other great bolwers for his scalps but ended up forming the greatest fast bolwer/spinner partnership in history with Mcgrath. He revived the great and some though lost art of spin bowling and when one looks at the length between him and the last ATG leggie (O'Reilly) shows how difficult the art is to master. They hvae been a few challengers to the Leg Spin throne (Sobers thought Gupte better ect.) but few could argue that none matched Warne as a match winner, and to me he is the second greatest bolwer of ALL TIME. He was also a ATG slip fielder and his lower order batting was under rated, but most importantly he was a winner and will go down in history as the Greatest Ever for his disipline.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Greatest bowler of all time and the greatest match winner in my eyes. The fact that he was a legspinner made it all the more amazing and probably made him all the more compelling. It's incredible to think he got even better as he aged and even more effective after his injuries.

Someone voted him #1 again, I wonder if it was the same person.
I had him at 1 last time, but didn't vote in this.

I don't actually think he is the best of all-time per se, but the reason behind my vote was based on impact. If England dominated cricket for 20 years (stay with me) and Australia fell to bangladesh levels and then brought a 60-odd year old Warne out of retirement for the 2033 Ashes, I would be ****ting myself. I couldn't say that about any other player, and that's why I put him at 1 and quite possibly would do again.

biased indian

International Coach
if he had done well against us he would have been an automatic choice for me as the greatest bowler of all time..but then he failed still a top 10 bowler with out any doubt... would have had him in 8-10 on any given day

uvelocity

International Coach
I shouldn't have said anything because I don't care about this issue - I think people get worked up over anything. But yea, I don't see him as any different to Akhtar and such.
I'm not even midly fazed, but to compare him to performance enhancing drug cheats in aerobic sports is pretty silly imo. Anyway don't want to derail so I'm out.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I had him at 1 last time, but didn't vote in this.

I don't actually think he is the best of all-time per se, but the reason behind my vote was based on impact. If England dominated cricket for 20 years (stay with me)
Sorry, couldn't.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Not high enough. People will be talking about him in 50 years a lot more than they'll be talking about some above him.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
The 4 people most likely above him are Tendulkar, Imran, Sobers and Imran. The only person from that who people might talk less about is Sobers. Imran, Tendulkar and Bradman are more famous than Warne.