• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Cricket 2012

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Most Wickets in County Championship:
Most Runs in CC:
Division One Champions:
Division One Bottom 2:
Division Two Top 2:
Division Two Wooden Spoon:
T20 Champions:
CB40 Champions:
Quickest Hundred in CC:
Young Cricketer of the Year:
Cricketer of the Year:
Failure of the Year:
Batting at NO.6 for England in the last test of the summer:

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Most Wickets in County Championship: Masters
Most Runs in CC: Trescothick
Division One Champions: Durham
Division One Bottom 2: Worcestershire, Surrey
Division Two Top 2: Yorkshire, Derbyshire (lol)
Division Two Wooden Spoon: Kent
T20 Champions: Somerset (lol)
CB40 Champions: Somerset (lol x2)
Quickest Hundred in CC: Ben Stokes
Young Cricketer of the Year: Ben Stokes
Cricketer of the Year: Trescothick
Failure of the Year: Bopara
Batting at NO.6 for England in the last test of the summer: James Taylor

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I see James Taylor started his Notts career with a golden, then followed up with an unbeaten hundred in the second innings.
Even more interesting, Notts came up against young William Tavare playing for Loughborough. Turns out he's Chris's nephew, rather than son though.

cpr

International Coach
If some of the young Surrey batsmen (like Hamilton-Brown, Maynard and Roy) show a little more experience and look to build steady hundreds rather than 20 ball 40s I think Surrey will be fine - and could go well - with a pretty good pace attack (especially if England decide to put Tremlett out to grass).

Wouldn't be stunned if Lancashire go from Champions to relegation - it's happened before and I don't see much in their team to excite.

I recall when the County season began in late April with B&H zone=al games - and it was bloody cold then.........
Can't see us going down. We'll be helped by playing half our games at Liverpool again, that'll favour Kerrigan and Keedy. Chapple seems to be getting better with age (somehow), Hogg had the season of his life last year (indeed both of them took over 50 wkts as less than 20). Mahmood and Smith are both capable changes, and support from our part timers in Croft/Procter should help break it up.

I suppose the bat could break it for us, relying on Horton/Moore to continue to perform. Brown came through well last year, and I hope he and Procter can continue to develop... The batting stats for last year seem skewed by the friendliness of the scouse wicket, but I agree compared to what we've been blessed with in the past, the batting line up looks quite weak.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't see us going down. We'll be helped by playing half our games at Liverpool again, that'll favour Kerrigan and Keedy. Chapple seems to be getting better with age (somehow), Hogg had the season of his life last year (indeed both of them took over 50 wkts as less than 20). Mahmood and Smith are both capable changes, and support from our part timers in Croft/Procter should help break it up.

I suppose the bat could break it for us, relying on Horton/Moore to continue to perform. Brown came through well last year, and I hope he and Procter can continue to develop... The batting stats for last year seem skewed by the friendliness of the scouse wicket, but I agree compared to what we've been blessed with in the past, the batting line up looks quite weak.
With an older points system I reckon there was more of a chance of Lancashire going down, they're not going to get more than 3-4 bonus points that often. But with so many points for a win that becomes less important relatively speaking. They would be in trouble if they had 2-3 injuries to key bowlers/all-rounders though.

cpr

International Coach
Where we'd struggled in the past has been closing out a game, far too many draws at OT left us struggling.

In the bowling department we might not be too bad. Newby's on the sidelines, as is Tahir. Both of them need to take their chances if they want to salvage their careers IMO. However our reliance on a 38 year old to lead our attack is a bit disconcerting (no matter how big a legend he is).

Batting certainly there is little/no depth.

Pothas

Yeah Lancs will win enough games in Liverpool to stay up at least.

Worcestershire did a great job in staying up last year but they have got to be favourites to go down, not sure who I would tip to join them.

Durham favourites as per usual but I'm sure most neutrals would like Somerset to finally do it.

Pothas

Most Wickets in CC: Ryan Sidebottom
Most Runs in CC: Treso too obvious so going to be optimistic and say Simon Katich
Division One Bottom 2: Worcestershire, Middlesex
Division Two Top 2: Yorkshire, Hampshire
T20 Champions Somerset
CB40 Champions: Nottinghamshire
Quickest Hundred in CC: Graham Napier
Young Cricketer of the Year: James Vince (I really really hope)
Cricketer of the Year: Chris Woakes
Failure of the Year: Morgan
Batting at NO.6 for England in the last test of the summer: Ben Stokes

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
With an older points system I reckon there was more of a chance of Lancashire going down, they're not going to get more than 3-4 bonus points that often. But with so many points for a win that becomes less important relatively speaking. They would be in trouble if they had 2-3 injuries to key bowlers/all-rounders though.
Do County Cricket followers generally like the current points system? That 110 overs ruling for points thing is kind of interesting.

Do captains often declare taking into account the batting and bowling first innings points or are they more concerned with the win?

Pothas

It is definetly better now that you get more points for a win, it is not the sole reason but am sure we get more results now than a couple of years ago.

Don't think bonus points play a huge role in captains thinking, sometimes surprised when teams don't speed up more to get the 400 in the 110 overs.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most Wickets in County Championship: Sidebottom
Most Runs in CC: Trescothick
Division One Bottom 2: Surrey, Worcestershire
T20 Champions: Somerset
CB40 Champions: Warwickshire
Quickest Hundred in CC: Graham Napier
Young Cricketer of the Year: Jason Roy
Cricketer of the Year: Chris Woakes
Failure of the Year: Ravi Bopara

Woodster

International Captain
Gloucester have re-signed Kane Williamson for the first half of the season with hope of confirming an agreement with NZC that a replacement centrally-contracted player, that is not involved in the Test series against the WI in July, be sent over to feature for Gloucester in the second half of the season.

Woodster

International Captain
On the eve of the season and the summer weather arrived in the nick of time - Yorkshire having to clear snow off the Headingley ground this morning ahead of the fixture against Kent starting (in theory) tomorrow. Such a shame.

Let's hope we get some cricket underway tomorrow, pretty certain there's going to be a number of layers worn by the fielding sides around the country.

fredfertang

Most Wickets in County Championship: Kerrigan
Most Runs in CC: Hildreth
Division One Champions: Somerset
Division One Bottom 2: Middlesex, Worcestershire
Division Two Wooden Spoon: Northants
T20 Champions: Yorkshire
CB40 Champions: Who cares?, but Essex
Quickest Hundred in CC: Roy
Young Cricketer of the Year: Kerrigan
Cricketer of the Year: Chapple
Failure of the Year: Ramps (sorry mate but i think you're finally past it)
Batting at NO.6 for England in the last test of the summer: Jonny Bairstow

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It is definetly better now that you get more points for a win, it is not the sole reason but am sure we get more results now than a couple of years ago.

Don't think bonus points play a huge role in captains thinking, sometimes surprised when teams don't speed up more to get the 400 in the 110 overs.
Thanks mate.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Most Wickets in County Championship: Harmison (S)
Most Runs in CC: Tres
Division One Bottom 2: Middlesex & Worcestershire
Division Two Top 2: Yorks & Hants
Division Two Wooden Spoon: Leicestershire
CB40 Champions: Surrey
Quickest Hundred in CC: Buttler
Young Cricketer of the Year: Topley
Cricketer of the Year: Tres
Failure of the Year: Taylor
Batting at NO.6 for England in the last test of the summer: Buttler

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most Wickets in County Championship: Ryan Sidebottom
Most Runs in CC: Marcus Trescothick
Division One Champions: Notts
Division One Bottom 2: Surrey and Middlesex
Division Two Top 2: Yorkshire and Kent
Division Two Wooden Spoon: Leicestershire
CB40 Champions: Warwickshire
Quickest Hundred in CC: Carter (Warwicks)
Young Cricketer of the Year: Bairstow
Cricketer of the Year: Woakes
Failure of the Year: Bopara

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Most Wickets in County Championship: Kerrigan
Most Runs in CC: James Taylor
Division One Champions: Notts
Division One Bottom 2: Surrey, Worcestershire
Division Two Top 2: Essex, Hampshire
Division Two Wooden Spoon: Yorkshire