• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Road to New Zealand in the West Indies 2012

Flem274*

123/5
A) Who's to say Watling wouldn't have scored those runs?
B) If it's worth as much, then Watling still keeps his spot as the incumbent (before injury)
C) Watling is a better long-term option

I understand the van Wyk is gutsy frenzy that came, but at the end of the day the guy still didn't capitalise on starts. 60s-70s even and I might be different.
The scorecard.:ph34r:

It doesn't matter to me who the best long term option is tbh. We should select NZ for the next test, not the test in 2015.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
People who say Watling>Van Wyk didn't watch enough of the test series against South Africa.
I watched every ball.

Van Wyk is a journeyman. A very gutsy one at that, and us Kiwis dig that. I get that.

But everyone is missing the fact that he had five knocks, scored more than 20 in four of them but never made more than 39. He averages 24, albeit against South Africa. It's not exactly knocking the door down.

Watling was the incumbent. Everyone (McCullum apart, obviously) was available for the Zim Test and he was picked - ahead of van Wyk. So he was the incumbent, before injured. And now he's back, and will take the gloves.

He deserves that chance, whatever his age is in any case. I'm just saying if you split it, and it seems like it is a fairly evenly-balanced argument, Watling is a lot younger, plays all three formats now etc etc.

As for de Boorder, won't get too many arguments from me that he's a player in waiting.

Mike5181

International Captain
I watched every ball.

Van Wyk is a journeyman. A very gutsy one at that, and us Kiwis dig that. I get that.

But everyone is missing the fact that he had five knocks, scored more than 20 in four of them but never made more than 39. He averages 24, albeit against South Africa. It's not exactly knocking the door down.
**** my life. He wasn't required to score big runs

Watling was the incumbent. Everyone (McCullum apart, obviously) was available for the Zim Test and he was picked - ahead of van Wyk. So he was the incumbent, before injured. And now he's back, and will take the gloves.

He deserves that chance, whatever his age is in any case. I'm just saying if you split it, and it seems like it is a fairly evenly-balanced argument, Watling is a lot younger, plays all three formats now etc etc.

As for de Boorder, won't get too many arguments from me that he's a player in waiting.
Watling isn't getting the gloves for the test matches. He's replacing McCullum as the ODI and T20I keeper.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watling isn't getting the gloves for the test matches. He's replacing McCullum as the ODI and T20I keeper.
Source? I'd read here that Watling be keeping in tests.

Perhaps not surprisingly given his economy rate is on the high side, Wagner has not been named in the one-day and Twenty20 squads.

Neither has McCullum, with a fit-again BJ Watling to keep wickets in all three forms.
I don't have a huge preference for either at this stage.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I don't care what people's opinions are because there is an argument to be made either way. But just don't call watling the incumbent. He only played one test. That does not make you an incumbent.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Really looking forward to this one and see this as a chance for us to have a clean sweep of all the series to be honest!! :D , i just wanna see how we play with all the big guns back in the team, no more excuses, lets see what the likes of Gayle, Narine and possibly Pollard can add to the test side when the kiwi's come to town, also depending on how he does for the A-team vs India this might be the series where we see Jason Holder for the first time aswell.

Howsie

International Captain
I watched every ball.

Yep, AWTA.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm almost certain he is.

He's not the finished article as a keeper by a long stretch but if he's keeping in all three forms, it gives him the best chance to do so.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Think a lot of people sort of secretly want Ryder for the tests in India in August, but his support team have got a 'do it on your terms, don't let them use you and grade you like a cut of meat!' hold on Jesse's thinking now. Time in the whites would be nice but it's mostly 20 and 40-over cricket for Glos in July, he'd get maybe five FC games before the India tour, eight if he stayed on.

I'm trying to remember if Jesse and Braces got on that well and Braces' mood after the hand through a window thing. He did finally get picked and played well for him I guess. Both kind of paranoid and pugnacious and prone to awkward gaffes socially, could be some mutual respect in that.

Last edited:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Tim Southee's goal is to regain his test spot | Stuff.co.nz

"But I've only got myself to blame for bowling poorly, and I know it's not going to be easy with a lot of people now putting their hands up among the test bowlers."

Southee was named in the New Zealand Twenty20 and one-day squads and was confident he has already made big strides on the delivery problems that caused a loss of form that culminated in him being dumped following the first test in Dunedin where he recorded figures of 0-140 in 36 overs over two innings.

"I've still been doing some stuff via phone and email with [NZ bowling coach] Damien Wright, just on a couple of little technical things that crept into my game," Southee said.

"It was mostly a matter of timing – I was rushing to the crease and in doing so lost that swing and wasn't hitting the wicket hard.

"They're mainly little things and I'm confident it's not a major problem."

Southee indicated in his late-season first-class appearances with the title-winning Northern Knights that he was already finding a cure.

"It was good to go back and work on it at Plunket Shield level and not have the pressure of playing at test match level but still being able to practise it in a match."

At the end of the domestic season, Southee took a break and when he returned to training, batting practice was high on his to-do list.

"I've been doing a lot of work on my batting, which is something I've always wanted to do more work on, and with some time away from playing it seemed the ideal time."

Southee, who has a test average of 20.20, wants to evolve into a consistent lower-order bat who won't just be remembered for his swashbuckling 77 not out from just 40 balls, featuring nine sixes, on his test debut against England in Napier in March 2008.

"It's not going to happen overnight, but it would be a big help to the team."

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah saw that - I'll believe Timmee's batting is improving when I see it. At the moment it's nice that we have enough test bowling depth that we can afford to have him not even in the squad.

I see Guptill scored a century for his county as soon as the List A began - heh.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Brendon's been keeping to him, which won't make a blind bit of difference really as he'll not be in the ODIs or T20s, and probably out by the time Narine bowls.

We're going to really struggle on those decks against him.