• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Top 50 Cricketers of All Time - 2nd Edition

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Sobers or Grace would be the logical guess. I just don't want it to be the two I mentioned for the sake of this forum's sanity.
I figured not enough people would have voted for Grace to get him that close to The Don, but maybe. I can see your Tendulkar fear, but I wouldn't have thought the forum would go into meltdown so much over Imran would it?

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
I figured not enough people would have voted for Grace to get him that close to The Don, but maybe. I can see your Tendulkar fear, but I wouldn't have thought the forum would go into meltdown so much over Imran would it?
Back when Bhupinder Singh was posting non-stop about Imran, there was a definite backlash against him. Sobers and Grace are the only 2 players that I think will not cause a riot if voted as number one over Bradman. Anyone else, with all due respect to their claim to the throne, is likely to cause a strong backlash.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Back when Bhupinder Singh was posting non-stop about Imran, there was a definite backlash against him. Sobers and Grace are the only 2 players that I think will not cause a riot if voted as number one over Bradman. Anyone else, with all due respect to their claim to the throne, is likely to cause a strong backlash.
Yeah, fair enough. The fact that (if Smali is to be believed) the top spot is still up for grabs at all shows that the votes have been cast quite differently this time around, given how far Bradman won the last one by. The Don possibly suffering a backlash of his own?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yeah, fair enough. The fact that (if Smali is to be believed) the top spot is still up for grabs at all shows that the votes have been cast quite differently this time around, given how far Bradman won the last one by. The Don possibly suffering a backlash of his own?
It is interesting. I figured it would be clear cut for Bradman, just like the last time around. The anticipation for this builds even higher! :)

smash84

The Tiger King
They have been cast quite differently.

Some notable omissions and commissions if I might add fuel to the fire at this point in time :p

smash84

The Tiger King
Right so we have 57 entries for this Edition and I don't expect to receive many more in the coming hour.

Near enough time to close it down

smash84

The Tiger King
actually a player needs to be voted by at least 4 people in order to break into the top 25 so this year the list should be safer
Despite protests from some quarters I have decided to go ahead with this rule.

Only 1 player in the top 50 (by total points accumulated) has to be removed because of this rule and some not so deserving players (IMO) have rightly (IMO) been excluded thanks to this rule.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
For the love of God, please don’t let it be Imran or Tendulkar that are somehow challenging the Don. I don’t think I can handle the inevitable backlash and fights that are sure to follow.
Jardine IMO, only bloke who really challenged him on the pitch as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Only 1 player in the top 50 (by total points accumulated) has to be removed because of this rule and some not so deserving players (IMO) have rightly (IMO) been excluded thanks to this rule.
Absolute farce and not representative of the votes.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year

Would be keen to know who this was, and what position they would have been.

Flem274*

123/5
Grace, Sobers, Hadlee, Imran and Sachin the ones most likely to be number one if Bradman isn't imo. Bradman will have suffered from lots of seconds to either favourite players or heroes of some countries. Following from that, the names I mentioned are absolute heroes of their nations so it is likely they will all have been given very high ratings by posters from those countries.

Then there are the smartarses who left Bradman off the list. There are bound to be a couple. The Australian contingent, unless they all put Peter Nevill at number one, should ensure Bradman wins though.

In saying that, Bradman was never a test standard bowler, so him losing out to someone who was half the batsman and a decent bowler wouldn't be an outrage, though I'm sure half the forum will disagree with me there.

The exercise is just a bit of fun though so it shouldn't matter. Would prefer a quirky list this time around tbf. Gives it some character that most other lists lack, because you can always predict the top three.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Grace, Sobers, Hadlee, Imran and Sachin the ones most likely to be number one if Bradman isn't imo. Bradman will have suffered from lots of seconds to either favourite players or heroes of some countries. Following from that, the names I mentioned are absolute heroes of their nations so it is likely they will all have been given very high ratings by posters from those countries.

Then there are the smartarses who left Bradman off the list. There are bound to be a couple. The Australian contingent, unless they all put Peter Nevill at number one, should ensure Bradman wins though.

In saying that, Bradman was never a test standard bowler, so him losing out to someone who was half the batsman and a decent bowler wouldn't be an outrage, though I'm sure half the forum will disagree with me there.

The exercise is just a bit of fun though so it shouldn't matter. Would prefer a quirky list this time around tbf. Gives it some character that most other lists lack, because you can always predict the top three.
You mean Sobers then?

smash84

The Tiger King
Smali, did you make up that rule so Miandad could make the list :P
lol....WAC....go and read post # 160 :p

Just realised I made a huge omission...too late to change I suppose?
unfortunately just over the deadline when you posted

Would be keen to know who this was, and what position they would have been.
Harold Larwood couldn't make the cut due to this rule. Otherwise he would have finished at 44