Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Ajmal claims special concession to 15 degree rule allowed by ICC

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Botha got caught because his doosra was measured at about 30 degrees IIRC.
    Was Botha not cleared by ICC?

Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    Was Botha not cleared by ICC?
    No. He isn't allowed to bowl his doosra because he throws it.

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    No. He isn't allowed to bowl his doosra because he throws it.
    Alright. Thanks.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    George Dobell, 'professional' cricket troll.

But seriously people should learn to read before they are allowed to put up articles that will get read by many people.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

International Debutant ganeshran's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Nationaux View Post
    Testing isn't exactly the best way to make sure the bowler is consistent in a match and in the lab. However they do compare the bowlers action in the lab with his action in a match. They make sure that he is bowling at the same speed and puts the same revolution on the ball as he does in match conditions. How is it that Botha got caught by the ICC bit Ajmal hasn't? Is Ajmal more sneaky and clever than Botha?
    If Ajmal's straightening is less than 15 degree then I would still consider his action legal regardless of how bad it appears to the naked eye.

The only caveat here is that a bowler can consciously bowl legally while testing but not paying heed to it in match conditions which I think is what Ajmal does. Do they also compare the angle of the bowling arm in the match (if thats possible) to the angle bowled in the lab? Because that would conclusively prove whether he chucks or not. Also how do they measure the revolutions on the ball? From footage?
    Get well soon Yuvi!!

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by ganeshran View Post
    If Ajmal's straightening is less than 15 degree then I would still consider his action legal regardless of how bad it appears to the naked eye.

The only caveat here is that a bowler can consciously bowl legally while testing but not paying heed to it in match conditions which I think is what Ajmal does. Do they also compare the angle of the bowling arm in the match (if thats possible) to the angle bowled in the lab? Because that would conclusively prove whether he chucks or not. Also how do they measure the revolutions on the ball? From footage?
    Ye but that's just speculation. Anyone can straighten their arm more in a match not just Ajmal. Fast bowlers when bowling the effort ball, for example someone like Flintoff could be flexing more than 15 degrees and we wouldnt know. So why single out Ajmal. ICC have shown before that virtually all bowlers straighten their arm, yet the media hardly EVER mentions this and neither do the Sky commentators.

The Sky commentators either outright say or imply that Ajmal is a chucker, or they defend him with completely the wrong defence. For example Hussain says that they didnt call Murali so why call Ajmal. Similarly Atherton says its good for the game. These are defences which mislead the public into thinking the likes of Ajmal and Murali are chuckers, and hide away the real facts.

The only thing we have to go on is the ICC testing, and that should be the final word. The study has shown that the naked eye isnt very good at judging straightening, since no one had any clue that bowlers with typical actions were straightening their arms.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Ajmal should have his action checked annually. It would solve a lot of problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Yeah, look, it gives me a pain deep inside my uterus to admit it, but it's Ajmal until such time as we get a working throwing law again.
    Never in a million years would I have thought Brumby to admit this!!!!!!

International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Wouldn't usually bother commenting in a thread like this, but can people please not associated the ****ing stupid English media with the English population. We hate them as much as you do and it's not very becoming when we all get lumped together as one by certain people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

Cricketer Of The Year Agent Nationaux's Avatar
    Don't think anyone was confusing the two.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Ajmal should have his action checked annually. It would solve a lot of problems.
    No it wouldn't.

Some people would still cry that the delivery that got their batsmen was a chuck
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    nah.. . Funny how you only notice it after he has made your batsmen look like idiots.
    Yes, because everybody was so complementary about his action before this series weren't they?

It just seems odd that this hasn't been broadcast as a reason why he's cleared to bowl when there's been so much speculation about it over the last few years - when Murali was cleared because of his defect, that was mentioned there and then.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Yes, because everybody was so complementary about his action before this series weren't they?

It just seems odd that this hasn't been broadcast as a reason why he's cleared to bowl when there's been so much speculation about it over the last few years - when Murali was cleared because of his defect, that was mentioned there and then.
    Mural wasn't cleared "because" of his defect though; his defect merely created an odd situation where it looked like he was a throwing it a lot more than he was.

Same thing was Ajmal here. Apparently he can't fully straighten his arm, so if his arm is bent at say 23 degrees, it only straightens 15 degrees when he tries to fully straighten it. This creates the illusion of a 23 degree flex.

Players aren't given special dispensations for not being able to straighten their arm all the way; it just allows them to bowl with an initially further bent arm, creating the illusion of more of a throw.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 07-02-2012 at 11:40 AM.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post

again, it is obvious it was there to see for people who wanna see. And he has got no special allowance because of it. So why the hell should it be broadcasted around the world? The rule is the same for him as for anyone else. Just because he starts with a bent arm doesn't mean that is some special consideration.. You have always been allowed to bowl with a bent arm in cricket..

Are you saying you were this interested in Ajmal before this series?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Don't see why he should be forced to TBH.

Although IMO if spinners wore short sleeves more often you'd probably have this questin asked fewer times anyway.

In any case his actions legal, deal with it

...or if your England don't deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    again, it is obvious it was there to see for people who wanna see. And he has got no special allowance because of it. So why the hell should it be broadcasted around the world? The rule is the same for him as for anyone else. Just because he starts with a bent arm doesn't mean that is some special consideration.. You have always been allowed to bowl with a bent arm in cricket..

Are you saying you were this interested in Ajmal before this series?
    Everyone know of Ajmal's action before this series. Else he wouldn't have been tested before. He's played against England before and there was talk about his action then.
    I don't think it's unfair to say England fans are entitled to be more interested in a player when he's playing against their team. You can hardly criticise the English press for not writing about Ajmal tearing the West Indies apart and bringing up his action in those games. It's of no interest to the English press and the vast majority of English citizens and even some English cricket fans.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information