• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Let's Talk About Cricket Grounds Better Than The Sydney Cricket Ground

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha the London peeps rushing to the Tube when there is another one in under 2 minutes is one of the oddest things. Especially when here in Sydney (and in Melb when I lived there) if you missed a train or tram you could sometimes be waiting 10-15 minutes. Could be worse on a Sunday.
New York? :unsure:
Too many yanks.

L Trumper

State Regular
This applies to football more than sport in general but capital cities tend not to be the footballing hotbeds of Europe.
Erm .. Madrid, Lisbon, Paris, Rome, Belgrade, Kyiv, Moscow, Berlin et al . Some of them may not be highly successful clubs, but all of them are footballing hotbeds.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Paris and Berlin are in no way footballing hotbeds and whilst Rome and London are certainly big Footballing cities they are in no way the biggest in their respective countries.

Anyway back to cricket before Benchmark gets upset about another soccer thread.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Erm .. Madrid, Lisbon, Paris, Rome, Belgrade, Kyiv, Moscow, Berlin et al . Some of them may not be highly successful clubs, but all of them are footballing hotbeds.
Absolutely no way you're getting Paris, Rome or Berlin.

The rest, yes, but they're former fascist/communist capitals. In the industrialised, democratic west, it's the big former industrial towns like Glasgow, Manchester, Rotterdam, Marseille, Dortmund, Milan and Turin that are the footballing heartlands.

Son Of Coco

nice area, know a few people from the tweed comp, it's palm beach in my pic
We probably know a few of the same people then! I played for South Tweed in the Gold Coast comp for a few years, I know the captain of Palm Beach CC, used to go to school with him.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
One thing they should seriously try to improve at Sydney is the seating on the Eastern side of the ground. Basically after about 2pm three quarters of the O'Reilly Stand seats are in baking sun, which is why 3/4s of them were empty today.
Yeah I know what you mean mate, we get that at Hove too

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I always happen to get concourse seats below the O'Reilly stand. At 11:30ish we were getting destroyed by the sun and by 3 or 4 we had to run up to the top of the trumper stand to get in the shade

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's something spiritual about baking in the sun whilst drinking a thousand beers that's almost cleansing imo.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I always happen to get concourse seats below the O'Reilly stand. At 11:30ish we were getting destroyed by the sun and by 3 or 4 we had to run up to the top of the trumper stand to get in the shade
Yeah that's exactly what we did, except probably a good 3 hours earlier than that haha.

social

Queenstown has to be the most picturesque

Lords and SCG have great atmosphere but lots of ****ty seats

MCG is just too ****ing big - one of the most overrated sporting venues in the world IMO

Gabba is the best IMO - great pitch, not a bad seat, good transport, great pubs, Queensland laaydies, not England, etc

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The Cricketer Magazine named its 26 best test venues in the May edition

Top 10 were

10. Basin Reserve, Wellington
9. Kensington Oval, Barbados
8. Antigua Recreation Ground
7. MCG, Melbourne
6. SCG, Sydney
5. Trent Bridge, Nottingham
4. Galle International Stadium
3. Adelaide Oval
2. Newlands, Cape Town
1. Lords, London

fredfertang

Inclusion of Kensington Oval, Antigua Recreation Ground and (to a lesser extent) Trent Bridge, does rather suggest they're 'aving a larf