• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag breaks world record ODI score

Furball

Evil Scotsman
lol.. and people wonder why it is annoying to see every thread be dragged into something about Sachin. :)

Anyways, to stay on course, I agree to disagree reg. the Sehwag knock and I think it truly deserves its place in the top 10 test knocks of all time by DoG's formula, which is as fair a method for ranking knocks as I have seen (there can never really be a completely perfect method, IMO)..

And this 219 was amazing simply because he seemed to do it with something to spare. Just astounding. Although I still think Sachin's 200 is better as it came against a bowling attack I would rank higher, 219 with almost 4 overs to go is just ridiculous.
That's because people over-rate Steyn in ODIs.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And this 219 was amazing simply because he seemed to do it with something to spare. Just astounding. Although I still think Sachin's 200 is better as it came against a bowling attack I would rank higher, 219 with almost 4 overs to go is just ridiculous.
Most certainly. Tendulkar's knock was classic. Good bowling attack and the good, typically Tendulkar kind of knock with lovely improvisation and pacing of an innings.

Sehwag's 219 is a monumental knock and one of the most destructive ever, but not among the greatest ones (if we ranked them in the way DoG did with test knocks.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It doesn't matter what bowling attack it came against. It matters hoiw they bowled.

The names are irrelevant. SA bowled ****house on a flat track. So did West Indies.

No one can score 200+ in an ODI when the bowlers bowl well. No one.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Sachin's chennai 136 vs saqlain on a 4th day Chennai track in 99 ? Saqlain was bowling better than either of Murali/Mendis in the 2008 Galle test and the Chennai pitch was worse for batting.
they lost the match rendering the innings borderline irrelevant in my mind. same thing with clarke 150odd on a ridiculous pitch vs south africa i mean RIDICULOUS PITCH. but they lost the match hence it'll go down as borderline irrelevant in my mind.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He is a flat track bully, but that isn't really a criticism in modern cricket, especially not modern Indian cricket. There are plenty of days when a flat track bully scores the most runs, and a flat track bully is what you want. 200+ in an ODI is ****ing ridiclous. A poor bowling display on a flat wicket is the minimum bloody requirement.

Besides, sometimes he plays an innings that doesn't fit the label, because believe it or not, world class cricketers tend to not be one-dimensional caricatures. But it's as a flat track bully that he's mostly earned his keep and so deserves the tag.

Also, while he's a better player in spin-friendly conditions than seam-friendly (as is to be expected), it's nonesense that he thrives on turning, deteriorating wickets. This seems to be trotted out in an attempt to unnecessarily defend his flat track loving nature, or even Indian wickets entirely. His record in the second innings is poor, showing that in general he struggles just as much as anyone when the batting gets harder.
That's a poor way of backing up your point. Sehwag's fourth innings record doesn't automatically equate to a poor spin record because he usually goes out to the pace bowlers. Not everyone with a poor fourth innings record is poor at spin.

There was a stage a few years ago where Sehwag had only been dismissed by spin in tests an amount you could count with your fingers.

Sehwag is one of the best 10 players of spin I've ever seen, and the third best I've ever seen from India. He's right along side Sachin, with Laxman ahead of them both. I'd have Sehwag comfortably ahead of Dravid, azhar, Sidhu and Ganguly.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Most certainly. Tendulkar's knock was classic. Good bowling attack and the good, typically Tendulkar kind of knock with lovely improvisation and pacing of an innings.

Sehwag's 219 is a monumental knock and one of the most destructive ever, but not among the greatest ones (if we ranked them in the way DoG did with test knocks.
It's only the 11th time anyone has gone past the 200 mark in all List A cricket and it's the 3rd highest innings of all time in the format.

Sure, the bowling was absolute garbage and the pitch was a runway, but getting to 200 in limited overs cricket isn't an easy task. None of that should detract from his knock.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It doesn't matter what bowling attack it came against. It matters hoiw they bowled.

The names are irrelevant. SA bowled ****house on a flat track. So did West Indies.

It's only the 11th time anyone has gone past the 200 mark in all List A cricket and it's the 3rd highest innings of all time in the format.

Sure, the bowling was absolute garbage and the pitch was a runway, but getting to 200 in limited overs cricket isn't an easy task. None of that should detract from his knock.
Agree with both of you. The point about being an FTB shouldn't have been raised in this discussion

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
There is no denying that Sehwag has his issues against seam and swing but his problems are not as pronounced as a Raina's. He has after all scored at least one hundred each in Aus, SA, Eng. And for an "FTB", he has an uncanny knack of producing big hundreds when most of the team struggles.

I am fine if someone says that Sehwag doesn't score enough in seaming and swinging conditions, which is a truth tbf. But when even the odd good performances in tough conditions get pulled down by excuses that bowler x was injured, or the pitch was not as bouncy as in past, or it was a 1st/2nd inning (depending on whether a case is being made for performance against spin or pace), that is when I get irritated. I mean no matter how poor Sehwag's technique is, he is good enough to have a non-zero probability of playing a good knock under difficult conditions? Why should he have exactly ZERO such innings for your point about his poor technique to hold?

And as for the 219, lot of batsmen have played similar attacks in similar conditions, no one has got close to that score. That's a record we simply must recognize for what it is, unless you can name a few ODI double hundreds on green tops.
Agree with this. Sometimes people get so wrapped up with trying to critique a player and develop 101 theories why they succeeded instead of just looking at the 1 that may seem fairly facile but true nonetheless: the player is incredibly talented.

Guys like Hayden and Sehwag have gotten this a lot where people look at their approach and go from there, rather than their results. Things such as technique are just a means to an end. So when a batsman bats unconventionally, they have to resolve that with conventional logic.

At times, it seems unless these batsmen score in conditions that are seaming/swinging, against a great attack, when they're all in form, across the innings, both home and away, it is the only way to close the book and accept that they're good.

I am not saying I do not do the above or there is a select few which are fair; but often, with some players, they seem more susceptible to unforgiving standards. Unconventional Sehwag is definitely one.

TBF, even if they bowl ****, and it is a road with short boundaries, it is still incredibly hard to hit a 200. Proof: there are only 2 instances of this ever happening yet I am sure the above conditions have been around for ages. True, there is an element of luck; but with all that risk-taking - that fast SR - there is bound to be.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah exactly. Which makes pointing out that the bowlers were poor, boundaries short, pitch flat or they were dropped etc. Irrelevant. Its like for 200 to be good it has to be scored against Mcgrath and Ambrose on a seaming track and in overcast conditions or something.

WI owned Sehwag the previous match. The same team that he thumped for 219 the next match.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, you jumped in front of me, was referring to Ikki's post. And also wanted to bring up how awful that drop was, you can talk about dollys in the slips and that sort of thing, but Sammy's dropped catch was just putrid.

abmk

State 12th Man
How is that chennai pitch worse? Afridi got 141 there, FFS.. And that was against Kumble. I can understand you rating Saqlain above Mendis as Saqi with the doosra was as much a mystery spinner then as Mendis was in 2008 but no way was that Chennai track worse.. It was sluggish and strokemaking was not easy but for survival, it was not that dificult at all.
because it was a 4th day Chennai pitch as compared to a first day Galle pitch. I saw both matches and pitch on the 4th day at Chennai was worse than the Galle one on the first day.

Just because Afridi got 141 doesn't mean it was easy for batting. Azhar Mahmood made back to back centuries vs a strong SA attack in the 90s on bowler friendly pitches when almost all the others failed, doesn't the attack was weak or the pitches not helpful for the bowlers.

On another note, I believe Afridi was better suited for batting in tests rather than in ODIs ( of course he's a much better bowler in the LOIs )

abmk

State 12th Man
yeah, there was a possibility that he might even reach 250 .....

abmk

State 12th Man

No one can score 200+ in an ODI when the bowlers bowl well. No one
come on, WI bowling was by some distance worse than the SA bowling.

Agree with the bold part though ....

ret

International Debutant
From what I recall, SA bowling attack was struggling in that series so I wouldn't stress much on the 'better bowling attack' point .... I would be more focused on how the guys went abt getting their runs

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
because it was a 4th day Chennai pitch as compared to a first day Galle pitch. I saw both matches and pitch on the 4th day at Chennai was worse than the Galle one on the first day.

Just because Afridi got 141 doesn't mean it was easy for batting. Azhar Mahmood made back to back centuries vs a strong SA attack in the 90s on bowler friendly pitches when almost all the others failed, doesn't the attack was weak or the pitches not helpful for the bowlers.

On another note, I believe Afridi was better suited for batting in tests rather than in ODIs ( of course he's a much better bowler in the LOIs )
We will leave the Chennai knock out for now, we both know where the other stands and I don''t think neither is gonna change camps. :)

But you brought up Azhar Mahmood.. The guy could seriously bat in those conditions.. Pak threw away a wonderful talent there..

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Really pleased for the amazing Sehwag to break the record. Increasing the highest score by 19 runs is SMASHING the record too. There are going to be some awesome innings by openers who bat out 50 overs and still not get the record now.

219 is such a popular score for openers too, I know of Taylor, Slater and Trescothick who have all gotten out on that score.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
From what I recall, SA bowling attack was struggling in that series
That doesn't mean anything because pretty much every bowling attack has struggled in ODIs against India in India in the last 4-5 years... Proves that it's more about great batting than about poor bowling...