• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag breaks world record ODI score

abmk

State 12th Man
We will leave the Chennai knock out for now, we both know where the other stands and I don''t think neither is gonna change camps. :)

well, you chose to reply. Let me just say that I've watched that innings 3 to 4 times and I think my assessment is closer to reality than yours ....

Regardless, my point was in reply to the comment that Sehwag's 201* at Galle was in a class of its own - which I didn't agree with considering Sachin's 136 at Chennai & Gavaskar's 96 vs Pak in 87

But you brought up Azhar Mahmood.. The guy could seriously bat in those conditions.. Pak threw away a wonderful talent there..
very good talent, but batsmen much better than him have failed at accomplishing such a feat .. Doesn't mean those pitches weren't bowler friendly or the SA attack wasn't very good .. Even decent bats can hit excellent innings in tough conditions ... That was my point ..

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, you chose to reply. Let me just say that I've watched that innings 3 to 4 times and I think my assessment is closer to reality than yours ....

Regardless, my point was in reply to the comment that Sehwag's 201* at Galle was in a class of its own - which I didn't agree with considering Sachin's 136 at Chennai & Gavaskar's 96 vs Pak in 87

very good talent, but batsmen much better than him have failed at accomplishing such a feat .. Doesn't mean those pitches weren't bowler friendly or the SA attack wasn't very good .. Even decent bats can hit excellent innings in tough conditions ... That was my point ..
Well, I am gonna repeat that I am done discussing the Chennai Sachin knock with you. I have made my position clear and you are simply stating the same stuff again. I understand what you think but I do not agree with it at all, having watched the entire game at the ground with a bunch of my school mates and having discussed about it SO much (you don have much else to do but talk cricket when u r 14 in Chennai.. lol)

Xuhaib

International Coach
really hurts me when people don't give Afridi due credit for his 141 he completely neutralized Kumble in conditions where he usually bossed teams I was convinced we had found a new superstar however the idiot just never realized his batting potential.

smash84

The Tiger King
Afridi never does realize things in time :p....

tbf he had started his career as a bowler and was initially rushed in to replace mushy in a small ODI tournament in Kenya

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
really hurts me when people don't give Afridi due credit for his 141 he completely neutralized Kumble in conditions where he usually bossed teams I was convinced we had found a new superstar however the idiot just never realized his batting potential.
Dw, impartial cricket fans appreciate how good that knock was. In fact Afridi was certainly a prospect as a test batsmen. The guy used to average 40 odd at a strike rate of 86 not too long ago in tests; his batting has only gone down hill since he retired from tests. Neutralised kumble, Afridi was a murderer of spin bowling in his youth! Was so quick on his feet.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not sure if this was directed at me or not, but I do rate that knock. It was a very good knock against a good bowling attack in their home conditions. But the reason for rating that is because he was able to play his shots and attack the bowling on a sluggish pitch. I won't say they were difficult batting conditions per se, but definitely difficult conditions to score runs at a decent clip.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, Belinda Clarke always comes up when an Indian batsman scores an double hundred in ODIs :ph34r:

Does anyone know if the two bigger List A scores were scored in 60 over matches? I seem to remember that G Pollock's 222 was in a 60 over match. What about Ali Brown's 268?

EDIT: It didn't, Ali Brown did it in a 50 over match. The link to scorecard is in that list itself. 268 in 160 balls seems like absolute carnage.

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
Haha, Belinda Clarke always comes up when an Indian batsman scores an double hundred in ODIs :ph34r:

Does anyone know if the two bigger List A scores were scored in 60 over matches? I seem to remember that G Pollock's 222 was in a 60 over match. What about Ali Brown's 268?

EDIT: It didn't, Ali Brown did it in a 50 over match. The link to scorecard is in that list itself. 268 in 160 balls seems like absolute carnage.
268 is carnage. Looks like the pitch was completely flat. surrey won by only 9 runs despite scoring 438. Could have become a repeat of Oz vs SA match.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
268 is carnage. Looks like the pitch was completely flat. surrey won by only 9 runs despite scoring 438. Could have become a repeat of Oz vs SA match.
I think the pitch was near the edge of the square at the Oval, which makes one of the square boundaries ridiculously short.