Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Feature: Batting Medians

Cricket Web Staff Member

New Feature: Batting Medians

Having never been a fan of batting averages, here Dave proposes a possible alternative.

Cricket Web - Features: Batting Medians

U19 12th Man
    So there you have it, Shane Watson > Viv, Sanga, Hammond and Hutton

I see a major blip in that analysis. This basically treats a long innings as a probability innings, which is not the case.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by Migara View Post
    I see a major blip in that analysis. This basically treats a long innings as a probability innings, which is not the case.
    Agreed. There are some cases where high numbers can be ignored as outliers, and hence median becomes a better measure than mean. But batsmanship is not one of those cases.

If Brian Lara scored 8 (9?) double hundreds and a bucket-full of sigle-digit scores that doesn't make those double centuries fluke only because most of the times he was out for low scores.
    "I want to raise my hand and say one thing. Those who complain about my love for the game or commitment to the game are clueless. These are the only 2 areas where I give myself 100 out of 100."
    - Sachin Tendulkar, as told in an interview published in Bengali newspaper Anandabazar Patrika after his 100th International century (translated by weldone)

And the first example of Bannerman is an outright pathetic attempt to show that median can be a better measure than mean. There can be no measure for such 'SMALL SAMPLE SIZE'.

U19 Debutant
    that's ridiculous because then u are under appreciating batsmen who score giant scores now and then (lara). Maybe if u want u can have batting average + standard deviation.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    I'm no statistician and I have always assumed that batting averages are the time honoured way of measuring a batsman's worth as much for the fact that even I can readily understand and calculate them as for how accurately they enable comparisons between individual batsmen to be made.

In particular I too struggle with the idea that Bradman is as much as 50% and more better than all comers.

A graphic illustration of how poor a measure averages can be, that this analysis sorts out, is Bill Johnston's achievement in 1953 when, over as many as 17 innings, he averaged 102 (against a career average of 12)

Thus I really enjoyed reading this interesting and thought provoking piece and neither the fact that it too may have flaws, nor that I don't suppose for one moment that batting medians are going to become a part of the graphic that TV producers use, detracts from that.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    ...Bill Johnston's achievement in 1953 when, over as many as 17 innings, he averaged 102 (against a career average of 12)
    Fred please understand when we talk about batting averages, number of innings in no way corresponds to the sample size. The sample size is 'number of dismissals'. So, Bill Johnston's 1953 might have 17 innings, but should have much lesser number of dismissals - thereby making the sample size insignificant for any analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by miscer View Post
    that's ridiculous because then u are under appreciating batsmen who score giant scores now and then (lara). Maybe if u want u can have batting average + standard deviation.
    Exactly. Doing some analysis based on avg and stdev should be fine. avg would indicate how they performed on average, and stdev would indicate how consistent they were.

But median is in no way a good measure when we are talking about batsmanship.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by weldone View Post
    Fred please understand when we talk about batting averages, number of innings in no way corresponds to the sample size. The sample size is 'number of dismissals'. So, Bill Johnston's 1953 might have 17 innings, but should have much lesser number of dismissals - thereby making the sample size insignificant for any analysis.
    I do appreciate that, and towards the end of that tour the whole Australian side were "conspiring" to try and bring about a situation where Johnston averaged 100, so it was all artificial anyway - all I was really trying to say was that I thoroughly enjoyed the article, it got me thinking and I am grateful to Dave for putting in the hard yards to come up with it.

It's interesting thing to look at, but like others, I won't rate players based on medians.

Agree, interesting stuff. It really is an underrated & underused statistic that I've never given much thought to

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    The median just says, assuming a reasonable sample size, that there is an approximately 50% chance that the batsman will exceed that score. It doesn't take into account by how much the batsman is likely to exceed their median score. As such it might be a better measure of reliability, but it isn't a better measure of ability. That someone like Katich has a higher median than say Lara and Tendulkar is a good example of this.
    Last edited by Adamc; 23-11-2011 at 04:50 AM.
    "Under the spreading chestnut tree,
    I sold you and you sold me."

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adamc View Post
    The median just says, assuming a reasonable sample size, that there is an approximately 50% chance that the batsman will exceed that score. It doesn't take into account by how much the batsman is likely to exceed their median score. As such it might be a better measure of reliability, but it isn't a better measure of ability. That someone like Katich has a higher median than say Lara and Tendulkar is a good example of this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Chicken Champion! Battle Pong Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 1
    What?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information