• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Malinga should play Test than chasing dollers says Flower

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I quite clearly said "a mixture of fitness and money". For various and completely fair reasons, it simply isn't worth it to him to put in the aim for a Test return.
The point here is, EVEN if the SL tests gave him as much as the IPL, I just do not see him playing tests. He runs the risk of seeing his career end by playing tests and he is just trying to prolong it by not playing them and only playing LO games where his workload is more manageable.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But I don't think it is just IPL money per se.. He is simply trying to prolong his playing career by playing less tests. It is the opposite for batsmen generally. A Dravid quits ODI cricket just to help him be fitter and more prepared for tests. For a Malinga, quitting tests helps him focus and prepare well for the LO contests and the workload of tests mean there is a greater chance of him injuring his dodgy knees in tests than in ODIs.
Thank you captain obvious. I'm well aware of Malinga's injury problems.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thank you captain obvious. I'm well aware of Malinga's injury problems.

No, you said he did quit for money. I am saying he quit for fitness. Now, if you want to mean that if he stays fit longer, he will make more money, then maybe yes. But he is simply trying to stay fit and play on for a few more years. Think he would have taken this decision even if there was no IPL, which is my point.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No, you said he did quit for money. I am saying he quit for fitness. Now, if you want to mean that if he stays fit longer, he will make more money, then maybe yes. But he is simply trying to stay fit and play on for a few more years. Think he would have taken this decision even if there was no IPL, which is my point.
I also mentioned his fitness woes. It's a shame you can't read properly.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think the main issue is that Test cricketers from some countries should be paid significantly more.
Good luck getting the BCCI, ECB and the ACB (the three boards who have decent cash flow) to pay players from other Test countries....

There's really no other way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I also mentioned his fitness woes. It's a shame you can't read properly.
dude, cut out the aggro. I can respond in kind but at least I am being sensible today.

You said this:

GingerCantRead said:
He did quit for money. Nothing wrong with that - if I was in his position injury wise I'd take the millions on offer from the Mumbai Indians to bowl 4 over spells as well.
This is the part I have a problem with. He quit coz he could not handle the workload of test cricket, with his fitness issues being what they were. Simple as.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
dude, cut out the aggro. I can respond in kind but at least I am being sensible today.

You said this:

This is the part I have a problem with. He quit coz he could not handle the workload of test cricket, with his fitness issues being what they were. Simple as.
Yes, something I acknowleged about 3 words after the bit you bolded.

Redbacks

International Captain
Good luck getting the BCCI, ECB and the ACB (the three boards who have decent cash flow) to pay players from other Test countries....

There's really no other way.
Most of the money goes to propping up domestic salaries which makes it highly unlikely.

I suppose if the rationale is that state players need to be paid well (from the int. pie) to produce competition and develop top players then you could argue that having quality opposition at test level is also worth subsidising as a good Sri Lankan team, if it increases TV and attendance figures by 15%, could show a decent ROI in the long run.

I don't have faith in the ICC to deal with base salaries for all players.

Last edited: