• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What made Viv Richards special?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Most of the old timers be it former cricketers, journalist or just fans rate him as their favourite batsman. have always wondered what made the great man even more special among the special players.

He does not have the best average among his peers, nor is he the highest run getter unlike a Sachin he was not a 100 scoring machine or has mammoth scores like Lara. yes his SR is much higher then batsman in his era but Sehwag in this era has an even higher SR but people don't put him above the likes of Sachin or Ponting.

So what was the actual selling point of the great man. Would love to hear some views from old timers like SJS and Archie:)

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm guessing it's a mixture of his charisma, his ability to tear attacks apart, the rate at which he scored and...selective memory :ph34r:

Fusion

Global Moderator
It was the devastation he caused, along with that awesome style, that makes him my favorite batsman of all-time. Don’t go by the average; if there is ever a case of the stats not telling the whole story, it is this. He could pick apart the best bowlers of his day. What’s more, he had a demoralizing effect on the opposition that IMHO is unmatched in any batsmen of his generation or since. Since he relied on his instincts and that great hand-eye coordination, his average took a hit when age caught up with him. When so many former players and journalists rate him as highly as they do, I think one can conclude there was more to King Viv than the story the stats are telling.

smash84

The Tiger King
I think he was one of those few (maybe the only one) batsmen who put the fear of God in bowlers rather than the other way around

Shri

Mr. Glass
Most of the old timers be it former cricketers, journalist or just fans rate him as their favourite batsman. have always wondered what made the great man even more special among the special players.

He does not have the best average among his peers, nor is he the highest run getter unlike a Sachin he was not a 100 scoring machine or has mammoth scores like Lara. yes his SR is much higher then batsman in his era but Sehwag in this era has an even higher SR but people don't put him above the likes of Sachin or Ponting.

So what was the actual selling point of the great man. Would love to hear some views from old timers like SJS and Archie:)
This imo:

Sledging Richards backfired on me, Akram reveals
Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
By K.R.Nayar, Senior ReporterPublished: 22:58 January 20, 2009
Dubai: Can you guess what happened when Wasim Akram, the "Sultan of Swing" sledged "King" Viv Richards during a Test match?
Akram narrated the incident during the recent Shyam Bhatia awards for UAE's outstanding performers in domestic cricket.
"I was only nineteen when I played in the 1988 Barbados Test match during the tour of West Indies. It was in this Test match that I realised I've got the pace to disturb the batsmen," he said.
"When only 45 minutes were left to go for close of play, Richards came out to bat. My skipper Imran Khan gave me the ball and asked me to have a go.
"I bowled a bouncer at Richards and his cap fell while avoiding it. I went up to him and abused him. I was very skinny at that time and he looked at me and said: 'I will see [you] out man.'"
Akram immediately went to Imran Khan and related the incident.
"Imran told me to go ahead and scare &. him. So I bowled another bouncer and his cap fell again and so I went up to him and with a lot of action, provoked him.
"Richards looked at me and spat to the side with contempt. That was a time when there were no match referees nor close up television," he said.
Khan asked Akram to bowl the last over of the day.
"I bowled a bouncer again and then returned to the dressing room. While removing my shoes, the room attendant said that someone is waiting for me outside the dressing room.
"When I went out, I saw Richards in only his pad and no shirt and with a bat in hand. I ran to Imran and told him about it, but he quietly said: 'it is better you handle him.' I was shocked and so I went and told Richards very politely that I am sorry for what happened & and [that] it won't happen again.
"Richards looked at me and said: "If it happens next time, I will kill you.
"It never happened again," said Akram.
Stolen from Smalishah's post.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Some poeple are just born with incredible awesomeness in them. He would have excelled in anything else hadnt he chosen cricket.
And him being ***y athletic black guy helped a lot :)

bagapath

International Captain
what???? who says his stats arent good? an average of 50 in his era was phenomenal. the other players who averaged 50+ in his time were g.chappell, gavaskar, border and miandad. and none of them had a SR even remotely close to viv's 69 of 100 balls. it meant he scored as much as the best players of his time at a much quicker rate. in fact, there is no cricketer in history other than sehwag who can boast of a 60+ SR and a 50+ average.

and contrary to viru's tactics the viv man played predominantly in the V with a straight bat and impeccable footwork, which meant that he was able to perform better than sehwag in the swinging conditions in england. he was also awesome against the bouncing ball in australia and the spinners in india.

more than anything else richards was capable of changing a game in windies' favor in a short session by destroying the confidence of the opposition's star bowlers. he was a more reliable gilchrist or sehwag and a more destructive lara or tendulkar; he is the best batsman i have had the honor of seeing. and selective memory has nothing to do with it. from the 70s and 80s, richards, imran, hadlee, lillee, chappell, gavaskar and marshall would always remain serious contenders for any all time XI.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
what???? who says his stats arent good? an average of 50 in his era was phenomenal. the other players who averaged 50+ in his time were g.chappell, gavaskar, border and miandad. and none of them had a SR even remotely close to viv's 69 of 100 balls. it meant he scored as much as the best players of his time at a much quicker rate. in fact, there is no cricketer in history other than sehwag who can boast of a 60+ SR and a 50+ average.

and contrary to viru's tactics the viv man played predominantly in the V with a straight bat and impeccable footwork, which meant that he was able to perform better than sehwag in the swinging conditions in england. he was also awesome against the bouncing ball in australia and the spinners in india.

more than anything else richards was capable of changing a game in windies' favor in a short session by destroying the confidence of the opposition's star bowlers. he was a more reliable gilchrist or sehwag and a more destructive lara or tendulkar; he is the best batsman i have had the honor of seeing. and selective memory has nothing to do with it. from the 70s and 80s, richards, imran, hadlee, lillee, chappell, gavaskar and marshall would always remain serious contenders for any all time XI.
Brian Lara and Kevin Pietersen can.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
lara can boast this.

see above.
gonna have to go ahead and say lara> richards for me. lara is just too awesome. a freaking run machine. and the crap that he has done to win the match out of nowhere or single handedly make a series competitive is phenomenal: 213 vs aus, 153 vs aus, 200 vs SA in SA, 176 vs SA, 200 in adelaide, that entire series vs SL in SL, match saving 4th innings 100 vs India, match winning 100 at perth.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

The five criteria by which you think the best batsman should be decided have just one thing in common, they are purely statistical and what better criteria can we think of than numbers - dry cold statistics !!

Batting Average :
Barrington has a higher batting average than Gary Sobers. But one wonders why no one who has any idea of the game considers Barrington anywhere in the same category. The contemporaries of the two do not ever discuss of them as equals - not one of them does. Not fair . . .

Mammoth Innings :
Hayden, Jayawardane and jayasuriya have bigger (mammoth ?) test innings than Sachin and they are contemporaries too yet . . . . I guess I should add Sehwag in that list too with his two triple hundreds . . . Not fair . . .

Highest Run getter :
I came across a priceless piece of information today. It is a list of the greatest batsmen of all time at different times in the history of the game. I would like to share it with all of you.

Code:
Period	Greatest
1877 -1881	Bannerman
1881-1884	Ulyett
1884-1886	Murdoch
1886- 1902	Shrewsbury
1902-1924	Hill
1924-1937	Hobbs
1937-1969	Hammond
1970-1980	Sobers
1981-1983	Boycott
!983-1993	Gavaskar
1993-2005	Border
2005-2008	Lara
2009-2011	Tendulkar
This is magic. I also managed to get similar lists for all countries as well the ability to predict who will become the next greatest !!

Chanderpaul, for example, is not only the second best West Indian batsman of all time but has a fairly strong chance to "become" THE BEST before he retires. Not by taking his batting a couple of notches higher but by just staying around long enough to score the 2300 odd runs that separate him and Lara. Phenomenal.

By the way, Alec Stewart will be tickled pink to be informed that he is the second best English batsman of all time :-)

100 scoring machines
Talking of Sir Vivian, why Tendulkar even MoYo is a greater batsman than him. They both have 24 test hundreds but the Pakistani legend took 31 tests less than the West Indian pretender !!!

Strike rate :
I will have to request to be excused from discussing this criteria for some of the names it threw up are a bit embarrassing even to a "statistophile" like yours truly . . .

:-)

Okay. Before my good friend Xuhaib takes offense at what may appear to be biting sarcasm, let me say that while it is sarcastic, it is not aimed at him at all.

The point I am trying to make is that statistics are not and need not be the final arbiters of such a debate. Of course when we talk of great batsmen across time, their individual statistics wont be something to make fun of for a good batsman will notch up a a decent statistical record as well but that is not and should not be the criteria for such a debate.

Yes Bradman is considered almost universally as the greatest batsman ever and his statistics have a lot to support that argument but Bradman was great not because his stats are great. He was an unbelievably phenomenal batsman. His stats are incidental to his great and wondersome attributes as a batsman. When the WW2 started he had just scored over 5000 runs at 97plus. When the war ended and Australia played the first post war series, 7 years later, he was a year and a half short of his 40th birthday. He was n ot sure he wanted to play again for Australia and said so. He doubted if he was good enough. Of course we know now that he was still very good. But lets suppose that in those 18 tests at the age of 39 had yielded a 1000 runs less. H would still have been averaging 50 plus post war. A phenomenal achievement for we know what happened to his great contemporary and rival Hammond. The world would have continued to hail his mastery with the willow but he would have ended his career with an average of 85 odd.

The difference of 14 points in average is very high but would it have meant that Bradman was any less a phenomenon than we consider him to be today . . . of course not. He would still have been one. He could have averaged just 25(post war) and averaged in the high 70's (overall) and he would still have been the greatest batsman by far the world had seen. He need not have played at all after the war and it would still be true.

That is something we need to be able to discern. He was great because of what he could do with a bat at the crease, because of his footwork, the type of which has never been since. Because of his ability to score at very quick pace without hitting the ball in the air. Because of his insatiable appetite for runs, his amazing running between the wickets, his ability to pull anything even a few inches shorter than good length, his ability to dance down the track to spinners and medium pacers alike and rarely be stumped. His phenomenal temprament. Irrespective of the match situation he spent twenty years on the cricket fields of Australia and England always coming ion with the same mild smile and briskly walking to the crease to tap the first ball for single and on getting out (at blob or 300) tucking his bat under his arm and briskly walking off the ground with the same mild smile on his face.

He went to work to office and returned back when he was done.

He was a phenomenon and his dominance of bowlers around the world was so great that combined with his insatiable appetite for runs and a refusal to EVER in the most unimportant of games, to throw away his wicket, was such a deadly combination that runs in unprecedented numbers just followed him throughout his career. There have been some other batsmen in the history of the game who had his cricketing skills, others who had his temrament, and others who had the insatiable appetite for runs but here it was all combined into one individual. That hasn't happened since and had not happened before him. Till that does happen, other batsmen before and after will have to be compared on a combination of qualities which are never going to be the same in each.

People seem to forget that before Bradman, the consensus , unanimous consensus, in the cricketing world was that the greatest Australian batsman had been Victor Trumper. His batting average, by the way, was 39.05. Yet no one, not in Australia and not in any other country in the world doubted his claim as Australia's greatest ever.

I suppose the point I am trying to make about statistics being an unreliable way of deciding who was the greatest. Well not deciding really for that is not something anyone except the most stupidly arrogant can proclaim to do but using just raw statistics to butteress one's argument over who he/she considers the best smells distinctly of not knowing enough to present a better case (even for the same candidate)

So when I say, I think Richards is the best I have seen, I say it not because I know I am right but because this is my opinion (very subjective) and to support that opinion I do not use statistics although Sir Vivian does not have the worst record amongst the game's greats. I do not use statistics because I consider statistics even more subjective (I can hear roars of protest) and the refuge, mostly not always, of the ignorant. I can say why I think Richards is better than the others and that would be my opinion. Different from yours and yours and with no claims to be right but then its just an opinion. :-)

Okay so why do I consider Richards the best I have seen . . .

to be continued . . .

Last edited:

Satguru

Banned
Just a few reasons why i love King Viv so much off the top of my head

1) Great average of 50+, with an astonishingly high SR for his era. Even after two decades, only Lara and Pietersen can match these two stats.

2) He could smash literally ANY ball for six, be it a long hop or even a good ball, and did it with grace and beauty unlike guys like Afridi. I mean, he used to regularly hit the fastest bowlers in the world for flat sixes over freaking extra cover.

3) He completely turned the world upside down... bowlers were supposed to intimidate batsmen, and batsmen were supposed to try and weather the storm. With Viv, it was the other way around.

4) He did all this without wearing a helmet

5) Reasons for not wearing a helmet according to Viv himself:
He was proud of wearing his country's cap :)
He wanted to show that not only was he not intimidated by any bowler, but he was going to be the one to do the intimidating
Wearing a helmet hindered his gum-chewing :laugh:

6) Great captain, very aggressive just like his batting

7) Amazing, athletic fielder

8) Has an aura that no other player has ever had, before or after.

9) He is simply cool. In a coaching vid i saw on TV a long time back i remember him saying something like "When you rock back onto the back foot, you rock back to do the business" :laugh:

10) Has the most beautiful, deep voice of any crcicketer ever :wub::wub::wub:

I could go on and list a hundred more reasons really :notworthy

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
see above.
gonna have to go ahead and say lara> richards for me. lara is just too awesome. a freaking run machine. and the crap that he has done to win the match out of nowhere or single handedly make a series competitive is phenomenal: 213 vs aus, 153 vs aus, 200 vs SA in SA, 176 vs SA, 200 in adelaide, that entire series vs SL in SL, match saving 4th innings 100 vs India, match winning 100 at perth.
You always thought you were a lot more of a chance against Lara than you did Richards.

That period in the late 90s of comparative mediocrity by Lara is as forgotten on here as much ad Viv's decline is remembered.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain

I agree with this, good post. Although I also, rightly or wrongly, have a memory of Richards being supremely able to work the ball to leg from straight or even off-side deliveries.